Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

dvd ebay fraud

dvd ebay fraud

Old 05-15-04, 05:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd ebay fraud

last week i bought goldeneye off someone at ebay and i deposited my money but he never sent ti. ebay are now investigating and i was wondering is there anyway that that guy can get in any troble i dont mean just kicked off ebay i mean like police trouble. i know its only 30 dollars but what if someone payed 1000 and didnt get the item can the police be involved thanks
Old 05-15-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunatley there really is not much you can do about it. I have seen this happen time and time again.

Anyway, if you want some retribution then try

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...-coverage.html
Old 05-15-04, 06:17 AM

Re: dvd ebay fraud

Originally posted by astvilla99
last week i bought goldeneye off someone at ebay and i deposited my money but he never sent ti. ebay are now investigating and i was wondering is there anyway that that guy can get in any troble i dont mean just kicked off ebay i mean like police trouble. i know its only 30 dollars but what if someone payed 1000 and didnt get the item can the police be involved thanks
Isn't just one week a little quick to be worried about non-delivery at eBay?

As you point out though...it is unlikely that the police would be interested in a $30 issue....and would simply say it is a breach of contract problem that should be resolved between the parties. If a seller does this multiple times, with lots of money involved then they might be willing to pursue criminal fraud charges. If you search the various eBay discussion forums, there are always lots of talk about when police or other officials get interested in cases.
Old 05-15-04, 06:24 AM
Cool New Member

so it is possible for police to get involved?
Old 05-15-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First of all, this topic should be in the store forum because it is not actually about DVDs.

Where is the item you purchaeed being mailed from? How. exactly, do you know he never sent it? Have you emailed the seller? Did he say he wasn't mailing it? You said you "deposited" your money - deposited it where? Was it Paypal? Was it an electronic check to Paypal? If so, the seller is specifically advised NOT to mail the item untl that electronic check has cleared.

One week is not sufficient time to assume fraud, and I don't believe that eBay would start an "investigation" after such a short time.

Last edited by marty888; 05-15-04 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-15-04, 06:50 AM
Cool New Member

no i send the mony a week ago he emailed he got my money and he is not giving me the dvd he told me he was screwing me out of my item
Old 05-15-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was his feedback?

And you claim that he actually said that he is screwing you out of your item? Out of all the bad ebay experiences, I have never heard a seller tell anyone this. If what you say is true, keep the email.

There is not much you can do, depending on how you paid. If it was with a credit card somehow, you can get charges reversed. If it is was a cheque, you can cancel it. If it was a money order or cash, you are pretty much out of luck.
Old 05-15-04, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by astvilla99
no i send the mony a week ago he emailed he got my money and he is not giving me the dvd he told me he was screwing me out of my item
If you have an email stating this, then file here

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/
Old 05-15-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Can you give us a link to his eBay profile so we can check him out?

As was mentioned, the Store Forum is where you discuss eBay problems. If you go to that forum, enter "ebay" in the Search function and you'll see many threads discussing having to deal with eBay ripoffs and ways to avoid getting into the situation you're in now.

Sure, the only 100% surefire way to avoid ripoffs is to avoid eBay but a lot of people here (and in the Store Forum) can give some sound advice to keep your eBay experience happy.
Old 05-15-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you paid with paypal, you have protection through them, or you can file a CC chargeback. Since you are in Australia, you have an unconfirmed address, so you could file a complaint with paypal, and get your money back.

Don't ever pay with any other form of payment in the future. Sending a MO or cash through the mail is never a good idea with anyone, in my opinion.
Old 05-15-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since he is technically supposed to be sending you an item via mail, I believe you can file for mail fraud. I've seen that done before...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 05-15-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-15-04, 10:18 AM

I just got an email yesterday from the united states postal inspection service about a guy that i had bought a dvd from that has been ripping people off on ebay, luckily he didnt rip me off but that goes to show that they do go after them cause that guy emailed everyone on his feedback to see if they got ripped off.
Old 05-15-04, 10:26 AM

You bought your dvd from someone in the USA and you live in Australia? A week for shipping plain isn't enough. Not everyone ships on the day payment is received. In fact, it seems to be the norm to wait 2-3 days and some wait a week. If it was sent via ground, it could take quite a while, maybe 3-4 weeks.

One thing you won't be able to do is involve the police. If it has truly been only a week, Ebay won't do anything either. If Ebay is investigating, then your timeframe is different from what you state.

How about posting the email saying the seller was screwing you. Perhaps you misinterpret it.
Old 05-15-04, 10:42 AM

One week to Australia? I now know who these buyers are that have completely unrealistic expectations. If he emailed you to say he was screwing you, then forward that email to Ebay. NO POLICE will investigate or care (you will be laughed at if you call the police). Use Ebay, Paypal, etc. or just call it a loss (it happens, just check the seller's FEEDBACK RATING BEFORE BUYING).
Old 05-15-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's only been a week??? How do you know he hasn't send it? huh?

I sell on eBay and try to get items out in a reasonable time, but some buyers drive me crazy. "I paid you on the 4th and now it's the 6th!! WHERE'S MY ITEM???? Is this some kind of rip off?? Why haven't you responded to the 7 emails I send you in the past 4 hours??? I'll notifing eBay!!"

jeez, dude, give it some time.
Old 05-15-04, 01:00 PM

One week from the US to Australia. Did you pay for super duper express delivery?

Is this some kind of joke?

I have a hard time believing someone would email someone and tell them they are going to screw them. That is unless they are the dumbest criminal alive.

Aside from the 10 grammer errors in the opening post, this almost comes across as some crapola.
Old 05-15-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClownFace666
Is this some kind of joke?

Aside from the 10 grammer errors in the opening post, this almost comes across as some crapola.
Looks to be the case.

Here is a link to bidding history for the ID with the same name listed above, also based in Australia (assuming it is the same person as the OP). In last 30 days, there is no sign of the auction he is speaking of which supposedly occurred "last week".

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.d...&all=1&rows=25
Old 05-15-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
"Full Body Massage", eh?
Old 05-15-04, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
"Full Body Massage", eh?
I know - who buys VHS anymore?!? How embarrsassing.
Old 05-15-04, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Looks to be the case.

Here is a link to bidding history for the ID with the same name listed above, also based in Australia (assuming it is the same person as the OP). In last 30 days, there is no sign of the auction he is speaking of which supposedly occurred "last week".
[/url]
Good work, Detective!!
Old 05-15-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Book 'em, Dan-O.
Old 05-15-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This guy gets my vote for Shopper of the Year - here's another of his shopping experiences.....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=361249
Old 05-15-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Book 'em, Dan-O.
Sounds more like danol to me...

DJ
Old 05-15-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
This guy gets my vote for Shopper of the Year - here's another of his shopping experiences.....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=361249
I remember him now. I thought it was odd that he said he paid the guy, yet the auction was still open for 2 days.
Old 05-15-04, 05:48 PM
Suspended

You know - ok, Bootlegs are generaly a bad idea. This we can can all agree on, yes? But getting scammed by paying HUGE sums for bootlegged materials is just STUPID. You shouldnt be doing it in the first place, but if you MUST, then for god sake, dont drop 200 bucks on it! Go download the episodes for FREE!

As for the current thread at hand? Sounds like we've got a real winner here folks. Perhaps knocking off buying DVDs and investing in a spell checker and a caps lock key would go a long way to improving your image around here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.