Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Day Without A Mexican

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Day Without A Mexican

Old 05-14-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Day Without A Mexican

Has anyone seen it ? It opened today, I'm going to try and catch it this weekend.

http://adaywithoutamexican.com/dos.html
Old 05-21-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been seeing billboards around town. I can't believe no one is protesting.
Old 05-21-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The film is made BY A MEXICAN, so it's not like it's bad evil white people making a film about mexicans.

The billboards say "ON MAY 14th, THERE WILL BE NO MEXICANS IN CALIFORNIA", and apprently there was a gas station that ordered for the billboard to be torn down because it offended some customers. Other than that, I haven't heard anything. Sounds like good publicity for the movie though!

What is the plot, anyway?
Old 05-21-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The plot is one day people in california just disappear. The only thing that those who are gone have in common is that they are mexicans. So this is a mockumentary about a day in the life of So Cal without a single mexican. Shows the importance of those who are often just tossed into the view of taking from california and shows what they contribute. Good premise and it was a decent flick.
Old 05-22-04, 02:57 AM

Sounds interesting, even though I think the premise is shaky. (Chaos would be caused by ANY groups of people suddenly disappearing, regardless of race; if it were a true what-if scenario, they wouldn't disappear, but wouldn't have been there in the first place.)
Old 05-22-04, 02:50 PM
Banned

Duh, like does this movie have to do with the Rapture?
Old 05-22-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting, though it does sound sappy and almost like a Sesame Street episode.
Old 05-23-04, 12:00 AM

I saw it last week twice, and both times with packed audiences. This movie is really funny, but it also has a dramatic side that you have to be prepared for, but more on that later. There are not only big laughs, but also little tidbits that are easy to catch since they are written on the screen, either to illuminate a laugh or to tell us a simple fact that we might not have known. Anyway, in regards to the drama, it's remiscent on what was tried in "A Mighty Wind", but the difference is everytime it seems to go in this direction, that laughs start up again. Highly recommend you see this if you haven't yet seen it. Easily one of the funniest films I've seen all year.

This weekend, it's playing in L.A., San Diego, Northern California, and Texas, and more theaters are to be added in the coming weeks. It's playing in 104 theaters this weekend. It's a must-see.

Anyone else seen it yet?
Old 05-23-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seantn

The billboards say "ON MAY 14th, THERE WILL BE NO MEXICANS IN CALIFORNIA", and apprently there was a gas station that ordered for the billboard to be torn down because it offended some customers. Other than that, I haven't heard anything. Sounds like good publicity for the movie though!

What is the plot, anyway?
Ah, don't you love blind idiots like this? "I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but it still offends me!"

Sounds like it might be a fun movie though.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 05-23-04 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really want to see this film (it's also nice to see it was in the top 20 films this weekend). Hopefully Vegas gets it soon.
Old 05-23-04, 03:42 PM

Funny how a film that is attempting to abolish prejudice toward hispanics assums that everyone from south america is "Mexican"
Old 05-23-04, 03:53 PM
Banned

Mexicans,Purto Ricans, South Americans act different.
South Americans act more like people from Spain, they speak spanish in that style too.
Old 05-24-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Mexicans,Purto Ricans, South Americans act different.
South Americans act more like people from Spain, they speak spanish in that style too.
I thought most South Americans spoke Portugese.
Old 05-24-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
I thought most South Americans spoke Portugese.
They do if they're from Brazil (Which quite possibly encompasses "most" South Americans, technically)

Look up a thing called the Treaty of Tordesillas.
Old 05-24-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When you're done seeing this side of the issue, be sure to look at another by seeing the following movie...

Farmingville
Old 05-24-04, 05:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr. Garrison's dream comes true.
Old 08-28-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The film finally hit Vegas tonight, and after reading what the film was about and watching the trailer, I decided to go check it out with my girlfriend and my best friend. My girlfriend and I bought thought it was a watchable flick, but my best friend on the other hand hated it ("This movie should be called The Greatest Day Known To Man!") with a burning passion.

For an extremely low budget film shot on video, I thought the filmmakers took fantastic advantage of the resources they had available to them. Major props to them. What the problem I had with the film, was the film is "too shlockly." In some parts, the flick feels like a bad science-fiction film rather than a serious film biting the issue of the importance of Hispanics in our nation. Come on, purple fog surrounding California? The government building a gigantic wall around this purple fog? All access to California cut off? Eh.

Spoiler:
Oh, and the Hispanics were in a seperate universe when the events in the film occured? Yeah, okay, whatever.

The film has it's issues (as mentioned above) and at points the flick overstays it's welcome. It's worth a watch at least once; but it's a great premise brought to life as a less than decent film.
Old 08-28-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm Hispanic (Mexican, Mexican-American, Latino, Spanish, whatever, etc) and I just the find premise of this film hilarious.

So does this film focus on how the sudden disappearance affects various industries (especially those fueled by manual labor)?

Is this film basically like
Spoiler:
Night of the Comet
?

Last edited by candyrocket786; 08-28-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Candyrocket:

Spoiler:
One morning, the entire population of California wakes up to the fact that there are no more Hispanics (not just Mexicans) left in the state. There are scenes that deal with the effects on various industries (especially agriculture), but too much of the film is spent on trying to get the Hispanics back to California and their various attempts.
Old 08-28-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the film show people working at retail all of a sudden having nice easy days without any rude customers?

Just speaking from experience.
Old 08-28-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I could have a day without Mexicans.
Old 08-29-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Does the film show people working at retail all of a sudden having nice easy days without any rude customers?
That was extremely uncalled for. You know, since all Hispanics are rude...
Old 08-29-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This thread confuses me... people are allowed to say such things here when I've gotten in trouble for saying that my car was stolen by mexicans (which it was). Accused of racism against mexicans, so I was suspended. And my girlfriend at the time was mexican. *shrug*
Old 08-29-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
This thread confuses me... people are allowed to say such things here when I've gotten in trouble for saying that my car was stolen by mexicans (which it was). Accused of racism against mexicans, so I was suspended. And my girlfriend at the time was mexican. *shrug*
Welcome to DVDTalk, Trigger.
Old 08-29-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PopcornTreeCt: Rude people come in all colors, not just brown.

Tarantino: Take a daytrip to Greenland.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.