Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good! (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do any of You Like "Shaun of the Dead"?
Yes
89.16%
No, I don't Get British Humour
2.41%
It's a Decent Enough Film
8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good!

The official Shaun of the Dead website!

Dog Soldiers.

28 Days Later.

Haute Tension.

Undead.

Over the past year or so, it seems that just about all of the great horror films have come from everywhere but the USA. With the release of Shaun of the Dead, that streak seems to want to keep on keepin' on.

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe that I now have a brand spankin' new "favorite zombie film ever". We've talked about this in a few threads so far this year, have it be about the trailer or whatever, and I just now got the chance to watch this instant classic tonight. When I woke up today I didn't have any intention on view it today, but thank God that all of that changed. I woke up, did a quick look on VCDQuality, realized that the screener had been released, went to SuprNova.org to download it, and in just a few short hours it was finally mine to watch. I burned it onto two CDRs and I was able to view this film on my DVD player, in VHS or better, quality.

Fore those not in the know, here is the IMDB plot summary.

Shaun (Simon Pegg) is your below average thirty something who it seems has no real goal in life. Lacking any real ambition. He drives his long suffering girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfield) around the bend. He seems to pay more attention to his fellow loser pals and housemates Ed (Nick Frost)and Pete (Peter Serafinowicz). Other than his basic faults. Shaun is other wise a decent enough sort. But soon realises how much Liz means to him when with out warning. The undead begin to walk the earth (or to shorten it down, Crouch End in London). Now it's a race against time for Shaun to not only spring to the rescue of the girl he loves. But his dear sweet Mum as well. After watching this. You'll never look at 'Dawn of the Dead' the same way again.
The film starts out somewhat slow, a rather odd pacing for a film of this sort. We are introduced to all of the characters right off the bat, in a way that feels more like a drama or a romantic comedy than any sort of horror film. Then again, as the tagline says, it is basically a romantic comedy...with zombies. Starting out, I was questioning the way it began, but once it was all said and done it made the start of the film just feel perfect to me. You had enough of all of the characters by the time the real action started, that all of the characters actually meant something to you.

I appreciate that, especially in a film of this sort. Many filmmakers never take the time to allow the viewer to have any sort of understanding of any of the characters in a film like this, with the exception of one or two main stars.

So yeah, a romantic comedy...with zombies is basically what we have here, and by God it's absolutely perfect. Even at the start, when the plot seems to be going at a slower pace, there are things in the background letting you know what is to come, various little things where you see the zombie epidemic starting up, and it's just a riot. Shaun doesn't seem to expect anything, and why should he? Afterall, who in their right mind would actually take small details and come to the conclusion that zombies must be a comin'?

I can't remember the last time a "horror" film had such a perfect mixture of, well, everything. Laughs (a lot of laughs), sentimental moments, straight up action, gore gore and more gore, a great script, a fantastic and simple plot, and every other thing you could ask for. It's all here, and it all comes together unlike any film in recent memory.

Oh yeah, the zombies in this film...they aren't kung-fu stars, they don't run up and down the streets, and they aren't superhuman. What we're dealing with here are old school, hard-core, wanting nothing but YOUR flesh zombies who can hardly stand up or walk.

Just the way I like em.

Without even needing to think about it for even a second, without second thoughts, this gets an instant 10/10 rating from me. Dawn of the Dead? House of 1000 Corpses? House of the Dead? I don't think so, nothing like that can even touch this film, it's not even a contest. Hey, I loved Dawn of the Dead just as much as the next guy, it was great also, but Shaun just blows it out of the water in my opinion.

It's weird, in Shaun I literally do not have a single complaint. There wasn't even a character that I hated, like there almost always is in a film like this. I either flat out loved every character in the film, or I loved to hate them. If this one is released in theaters here in the USA, you can be sure that I'll be the first one standing in line. I already want to see it on the big screen, and I really want the DVD right now.

Yeah, I say it's my favorite "zombie" film, but it's much more than that also. I mean, I have the same sort of feeling now that I've seen this film that I had after seeing flicks like Big Fish and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind earlier this year. That feeling being of 100% satisfaction.

Download it, then watch it in the theater when it comes out here in the USA, and then buy the DVD.

And pray to God for a sequel of some sort, or at least another feature film from the duo of Simon Pegg (main star) and Edgar Wright (director). They also co-wrote the script with one another, this being their first major feature film. So that's all for now, I'm sure I'll make more comments on this as the thread goes forward. I just wanted to get a few things off my chest before bed. Hopefully this will get a few of you interested in it, just as I helped some people get interested in Haute Tension, Undead, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

We can't allow films like these to go unnoticed.
Old 05-14-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I was down for this when that other thread was posted. Can't wait. Zombie goodness ahoy!
Old 05-14-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
torrenty goodness. Can't wait to see this in the theater on the big screen with massive audience atmosphere!
Old 05-14-04, 08:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so what pray tell is the US release date?
Old 05-14-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good!

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Dog Soldiers.
Over the past year or so, it seems that just about all of the great horror films have come from everywhere but the USA.

That aside, I'll wait for this to hit theaters. The trailer looked funny, and hopefully I'll find the movie itself to be just as fulfilling.
Old 05-14-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
so what pray tell is the US release date?
All I know is some time in the fall of this year, if it even hits theaters here. It might go straight to DVD in the USA.
Old 05-14-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey! I liked Dog Soldiers. Well definately a good rental.
Old 05-14-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stand by Dog Soldiers. As far as I'm concerned it's one heck of a werewolf film, one of the best.
Old 05-14-04, 08:57 PM
MSD

Dog Soldiers was fantastic, the best werewolf film ever!

I personally can't wait to see SOTD, it's looks great.
Old 05-14-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Dog Soldier's was bleh to awful.
Undead was painfully bad.
Haute Tension wasn't too Haute on my list.

That said, Shaun of the Dead is my #2 favorite movie of the year (added it to the sticky at the top of the forum yesterday).

****ing hysterical movie with heart, it would be a damn shame if it didn't get a US release (though has already passed through the MPAA, R-rating as expected). I personally loved the way the movie started - wasn't slow at all once the title screen started at least (about 3 minutes in heh. That first part in the bar got an un-easy laugh from me, it was just painfully forced - but it all set in perfectly shortly thereafter. ), the rest of the movie (save for the end, which was also a little "off") was absolute gold.

Brilliant flick. ***1/2 out of ****

Last edited by RichC2; 05-14-04 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just watched this movie. Freaking fantastic! Definitely the funniest horror movie I've ever seen, and now one of my all time favorite zombie movies. Everybody see this.
Old 05-14-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Last night I was watching a movie and looked some of hte characters up to see what else they'd done. I noticed Shaun of the Dead and it sounded interesting.
Old 05-15-04, 01:54 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Just finished watching it

Jackieboy, your a bit behind the times aren't you mate ?

that's not like you, your usually the first ***** to see everything

BTW there's a perfect screener out. No watermarks, b&W, scrolling messages, nuttin

Just pure perfect screener

Good fun movie, exciting, funny, not too spoofy and british

can't ask for anything more
Old 05-16-04, 07:58 AM

zombies in this movie rocked
Old 05-17-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else check this out yet?
Old 05-17-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just caught it this weekend. I loved it to pieces. Just a great funny zombie movie, with plenty of great characters. I really need to watch it again because I know I missed some things.

I really loved how they dealt with the plague and how Shaun reacted to it. Some really great acting, a great story, camera work, and overall just a fantastic film.

I really dug a lot of the references this film had, not just from zombie films, but also a few outside the genre (Reservoir Dogs anyone?).

I soon as it was over I wanted to see it again, but sadly I had other things to do. Definitly going to watch it this weekend, and I can't wait.
Old 05-31-04, 11:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned, any movie with Queen music in it is automatically awesome.

I thought I heard that Variety reported that "Shaun.." won't be released in the US until 2005....?

Anyway, "Shaun.." is easily one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in quite a while.
Old 05-31-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Shaun of the Dead: Zombies, gore, jokes...mmm mmmm good!

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Download it, then watch it in the theater when it comes out here in the USA, and then buy the DVD.
Download it? Where?
Old 06-01-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think we can talk about that here.
Old 06-01-04, 01:43 AM

we can't talk bout it here
Old 06-01-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this (I guess like anyone else outside the UK did) and fell totally in love with this movie, this is the movie for anyone who hates the current wave of redesigned zombie flicks(not me, I love 'em all) This is NOTLD but in a small British town and it even has some gore in it if some people think it wouldnt because its basically a comedy-even some of the Day of the Dead variety.
Old 06-01-04, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Michael Allred

I thought I heard that Variety reported that "Shaun.." won't be released in the US until 2005....?
well screw that then, I'll just buy the Region 2 DVD when it get released later in the year, which I will assume will have some extras and other goodies on the disc, when it becomes available.
Old 08-03-04, 10:00 AM

oh my god, I saw the US trailer for this yesterday, I Can Not Wait! This looks so damn funny, looks like the release date has been bumped to the Fall. (Hooray! )
Old 08-06-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far a sequels go, at one point in the movie the band of survivers cross paths with another band. I wouldn't mind seeing their story.
Old 08-07-04, 10:12 AM

I saw this when I was in England this summer, and it was definitely one of the best films I've seen all year. I love it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.