Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Before Sunset (2004 -- Richard Linklater) Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG! A Before Sunrise sequel is on the way!

I was looking at IMDB to read reviews for Richard Linklater's new film, School of Rock. I clicked on his filmography and I saw a listing for a "Untitled Before Sunrise Sequel" for 2004. Here's the plotline:

"It's nine years after Jesse and Celine first met; now, they encounter one another on the French leg of Jesse's book tour."

Oh man, I can't wait for this. Before Sunrise was a great romantic movie and I always wondered what would happen to the characters.
Old 10-03-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved "Before Sunrise" but I don't think I have any interest in watching a sequel. The way the first one ended was so perfect. It was left so open-ended and it had the viewers deciding themselves whether they would actually ever meet again. I really don't need a sequel to come along and decide that for me. But I may be alone in that sentiment. If I want to revisit the characters, all I have to do is watch my DVD. But them making a sequel won't of course change that for me, I just feel no need to see it.
Old 10-03-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: OMG! A Before Sunrise sequel is on the way!

Originally posted by Sunny Side Up
I always wondered what would happen to the characters.
If you watched Waking Life, you'd know they're still babbling incessantly.

There was a thing on this at AICN a while ago

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16113
Old 02-10-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds good... NOTE: SPOILERS!

Last edited by Krug; 02-11-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-10-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved before sunrise...Sounds good.
Old 02-10-04, 07:21 PM
Banned

I find the authors tone a little odd. He says things like:
Few American films have the courage to rely entirely on dialogue and subtext for story.
And:
[The film is an] experiment to see if a movie can captivate an audience with a conversation between two people in real time.
Yet this is a sequal, and the original did both those things already. As for it's ability to be all dialogue and still find an audience...the film is a staple of the TNT network.

Before Sunrise was a film that had people talking for days about the fates of the characters, whether they'd see each other again, etc. I always new that they would never meet up like they planned. And yet it makes me sad to have my feelings comfirmed.

I've never felt so sad about being proven so right.

Last edited by Pants; 02-10-04 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-10-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
I find the authors tone a little odd. He says things like: And: Yet this is a sequal, and the original did both those things already. As for it's ability to be all dialogue and still find an audience...the film is a staple of the TNT network.

Before Sunrise was a film that had people talking for days about the fates of the characters, whether they'd see each other again, etc.
Spoiler:
I always new that they would never meet up like they planned. And yet it makes me sad to have my feelings comfirmed.

I've never felt so sad about being proven so right.
come on pants, spoiler tags man. That was a total bummer right there.
Old 02-10-04, 08:29 PM

*cough * spoiler... in a way, we all anticipated it..

I am keen on the sequal in one way and not in another. I want to know what happened next, but I also don't at the same time.

Ouch that review says a lot too.. Better not continue after the first line or two

Last edited by Tsargrad; 02-10-04 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-10-04, 11:30 PM

Can it truly be a spoiler if it's the entire premise of the film? I know a lot of people like to go into a movie knowing absolutely nothing about the movie, but c'mon, one view of a trailer will likely give this "spoiler" away as it is probably established at the beginning of the sequel.

That being said, I will definitely be there opening weekend. Before Sunrise has been one of my favorite films since I caught it at a free screening at the University of Wisconsin with my fiancee, now wife, on my birthday about nine years ago.
Old 02-11-04, 12:16 AM

Ugh.....

The sequel is called "Before Sunset".

The original was called "Before Sunrise".

I have no idea what "After Sunrise" is...
Old 02-11-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
come on pants, spoiler tags man. That was a total bummer right there.
No Shit....thanks a lot....

and Before Sunrise was next up on my netflix cue to watch this weekend
Old 02-11-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I do not like the idea of a sequal. I loved the way this ended, my wife will be happy with this news as she hated (not hated but was not happy) with the ending. This is the first movie my wife and I went to the movies to see some 9 years ago this week. She is a huge Ethan Hawk fan and I love Linklater's films, so it was a win-win movie, and for us and movies there are few of these.
Old 02-11-04, 10:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
I do not like the idea of a sequal. I loved the way this ended, my wife will be happy with this news as she hated (not hated but was not happy) with the ending. This is the first movie my wife and I went to the movies to see some 9 years ago this week. She is a huge Ethan Hawk fan and I love Linklater's films, so it was a win-win movie, and for us and movies there are few of these.
I agree, this film was perfect as it was, there is no real need to expand on this story.
Old 02-11-04, 05:43 PM
Banned

How can you numbskulls complain about spoiler tags when the first post in this thread contains a link to an article that not only spoiles Before Sunrise, but the new sequal too?

Since the first post links to nothing but spoilers this is clearly a thread ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE SEEN THE FILM. So kill me because I'm discussing the film.
Old 05-13-04, 03:27 PM
Banned

http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner...re_sunset.html
--

Never thought I'd see these characters again. This is one of my most anticipated films this year.
Old 05-13-04, 03:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too am looking forward to this one. I liked Before Sunrise.
Old 05-13-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait for this movie...
Old 05-13-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: Before Sunset (2004 -- Richard Linklater) Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy

Originally posted by Rivero
http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner...re_sunset.html
--

Never thought I'd see these characters again. This is one of my most anticipated films this year.
I don't suppose that it was literally as such, but both appeared together in Linklater's Waking Life in what could be loosely interpreted as being the same characters. Or as just a cameo. Or whatever
Old 05-14-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah this sounds good

I still need to buy Before Sunrise.
Old 05-15-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

after spider man 2, this is my most anticipated movie of the summer. i will be at the first showing.
Old 05-19-04, 11:43 AM

Wow! I really love Before Sunrise, so I cant wait for this one. If it wasnt for this board I wouldnt even know about it.
Old 05-19-04, 08:30 PM

I'm one of those people that consider Sunrise one of the greatest films ever made. It was the one film that I wish I had made. When Rich made it, I had to kick the ground and say bullocks to him.

While I'm scared that it won't be as good, finally seeing the trailer makes me think it'll be just as good.

I await Sunset wholeheartedly.
Old 06-02-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone looking forward to Before Sunset (sequel to Before Sunrise)?

For those who havent heard of it, Before Sunrise was a small film released and overlooked back in 1995, starring Ethan Hawke, Julie Delphi and written by Richard Linkletter.

The story is simple:

Before Sunrise is a passionate and intelligent romance between a young American (Jesse) and a French student (Celine). A chance encounter on the train incites intrigue, and Jesse provocatively suggests that Celine postpones her return to France and embarks instead on a spontaneous expedition to Vienna. In the course of their 14-hour relationship, the two share in their love for the unrehearsed and their appreciation for the unexpected as they explore in a powerful meeting of hearts and minds.

Anyway, the sequel is coming out this Summer and even though I am looking forward to few blockbusters, this and "Home at the End of the World" are at the top of my list.
Old 06-02-04, 10:42 PM

Very much looking forward to this one. The little snippet of the characters in "Waking Life" was a nice appetizer.
Old 06-02-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Funny, I haven't seen it, but I just heard of it last week and have been thinking of watching it. So what exactly is the sequel going to be? Just the two of them reuniting or something?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.