Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Sony PSP discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sony PSP discussion thread

(Please, No discussion of the Nintendo DS, or comparisons between the PSP and the DS. The thread will be locked or deleted as a result. Only discuss the PSP and its titles. Thank You.)

SPECS:
-333Mhz Processor
-32MB Ram
-4MB DRAM
-4.3-inch 16:9 TFT LCD, 16.77 million colors, 480x272-pixel
-802.11b
-IRda
-USB2.0
-Memory Stick Slot
-UMD's carry 1.8GB of data
-16 Person Wireless Multiplayer
-Connectivity with PS2 via USB ports (future PS3 connectivity also likely)

Announced Titles or those seen in the Demo Video:
-Death Jr.
-Gran Turismo 4
-Metal Gear Acid
-Twisted Metal
-Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children
-Need for Speed Underground
-Devil May Cry
-Viewtiful Joe
-Hot Shots Gold
-ATV Offroad Fury
-NFL Street
-NBA Street
-Tiger Woods PGA
-NHL Face-Off 2004 (989 Sports)
-NBA Shootout 2004 (989 Sports)
-Puyo Pop Fever
-EA Fifa Soccer
-Ridge Racer
-Vampire Chronicles
-Wipeout
-Dynasty Warriors
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater
-Medieval
-Ape Escape
-Spiderman 2
-Project S (Developed by Sega)
-Untitled PSP Racing Game (Developed by Playlogic)
-Untitled Capcom Fighting Game
-Syphon Filter
-Armored Core
-Frogger
-Darkstalkers 3
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-World Soccer Winning Eleven
-Burnout

Japanese Titles:
-Crazy Racing: Kart Rider
-BBG
-Super Star Studio
-Vulcanus Online
-Powerful Pro Yakyuu

Launch: "Early 2005" for the US and Europe. "Holiday 2004" for Japan
Battery Life: "10 Hours for audio playback" "2.5 hours for video playback"
Price: Nothing Official, Expect anywhere between $199 and $299.

A great index of screeshots: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05...x_6097116.html

Added: New games, and 2 new features - 07/13

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 07-13-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twisted Metal! I forgot all about that game.

I hope the price for the PSP is reasonable.
Old 05-12-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Advent Children was a movie?

Battery life for audio and video.. what about game playing?

I think Nintendo nabbed exclusive rights for Puyo Pop Fever in America for GC and GBA.. it's on every system in Japan though..

I'm not hot for either new portables design, but the PSP really looks off to me, I can't put my finger on it.. I really wish I had a chance to hold one. The width to height ratio doesn't look right. If somebody from the show could report back how it feels compared to the orginal GBA and SP, that'd be great.

Wipeout on Wireless?!
Old 05-12-04, 11:07 AM
Banned

And yes, that is an analog stick. Not a speaker.
Old 05-12-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshd2012
Next request then, could somebody tell us how the analog feels? It looks really small in the pictures.. they should've used the analog control from the Neo Geo pocket.. it was a great mix of analog control that was easily used as a digital as well. But I'm really anxious to hear how this "feels," as a protable system it's going to be the biggest factor to me (after the quality of games of course).
Old 05-12-04, 11:11 AM

Pixy: Announcement of Sega PSP Puyo Pop
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/puzzle/p...s_6097490.html

And also, battery life is up in the air. I've read "7 hours for gameplay" but that's nothing official. I think thats just people guessing off the other two numbers that are official (the 10 hours for audio and 2.5 for video) I could be wrong though.
Old 05-12-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I will own one of these. Incredible.
Old 05-12-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What's so sad is that you can't compare or have alittle fun talking about each pro's and con's against each unit. I'll pass talking about PSP here. With that...I just hit my 3K post
Old 05-12-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
$199 is the most I would pay for this.

I liked the concept look more than the final look. It's too blocky.

I'm excited about the movie playback, but I'll hold final judgment until I see it for myself.
Old 05-12-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
What's so sad is that you can't compare or have alittle fun talking about each pro's and con's against each unit. I'll pass talking about PSP here. With that...I just hit my 3K post
[BANNED]

Yeah... what happened to the other thread? Must have gotten uncivil...

I'm really looking forward to this... but like others have said, the style of the handheld unit just doesn't seem quite right. It's very similar to the "concept" pictures we saw a while back, which I thought were a little too "futurisitic" looking... and not exactly something you would feel comfortable carrying around with you. It looks so... fragile. Hope they can protect that screen somehow.

But the demo video just looks so incredible... especially Wipeout and GT4. I don't even like racing games! But wow...!
Old 05-12-04, 12:03 PM
Retired

Game lineup looks pretty good, but this will be out of my price range as I'd never pay more than $99 for a portable. I just have no use for gaming on the go.

The design looks uncomfortable as well. It looks to narrow from top to bottom and looks like it would cramp up my hands even worse than the GBA-SP.
Old 05-12-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate
[BANNED]

Yeah... what happened to the other thread? Must have gotten uncivil...

I'm really looking forward to this... but like others have said, the style of the handheld unit just doesn't seem quite right. It's very similar to the "concept" pictures we saw a while back, which I thought were a little too "futurisitic" looking... and not exactly something you would feel comfortable carrying around with you. It looks so... fragile. Hope they can protect that screen somehow.

But the demo video just looks so incredible... especially Wipeout and GT4. I don't even like racing games! But wow...!
It wasn't bad. No name calling, bashing or anything like that. Oh well, I dont use the store links
Old 05-12-04, 01:42 PM

I saw that it will have a gps attachment but haven't seen anything in response to it. Has anybody else?

The PSP looks promising but I wonder if the price will match the use. I paid $300 when ps2 came out, but I'm not comfortable paying anything close to that for a portable.
Old 05-12-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Sorry, have to disagree with you. Look at this high res pic and you can see the dimples in the top of the device are not open so they can't house a speaker. The little nub under the D-pad would be un-useable as an analog pad. I may be wrong but I don't see an analog stick.
Old 05-12-04, 02:21 PM
mvc

I don't understand why Sony is unwilling to put a normal d-pad on any of their products. That being said the PSP looks and sounds awesome. My main concerns are price and the fact that the screen looks easy to damage without a cover.
Old 05-12-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I was inistially excited, but am too concerned about battery life, "feel", and price. I am guessing that it won't be worth it to me. I would almost rather consider a Zodiac or something.
Old 05-12-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is it cd\dvd disc based or cartridge? if it is disc based, won't it be real easy to skip?
Old 05-12-04, 03:01 PM

It uses UMD's. Basically like a MiniDisc. A Small DVD in a cartridge. I doubt skipping will be a problem.
Old 05-12-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks very cool, and the games look very impressive, but will it rival the GBA SP. the best parts about the GBA Sp are 1. price - it's very affordable 2. size - the fold up design makes it easy to take anywhere, the screen is protected from damage, and it feels very comfertable to play.
Now while the PSP looks like it will be awesome, i'm sure the price will be out of many poeple's range (even if its not out of range, alot of poeple wont be able to justify spending most probably at least $199.99 on a portable system)......Size wise, it just looks too big to take around. while not huge, it doesn't look like something that would be very comfertable in a pocket, plus the screen does look like it can easily get scratched.
with that said, a portable MGS makes me cream my pants
Old 05-12-04, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Franchise
Sorry, have to disagree with you. Look at this high res pic and you can see the dimples in the top of the device are not open so they can't house a speaker. The little nub under the D-pad would be un-useable as an analog pad. I may be wrong but I don't see an analog stick.
The "little nub" is the analog stick. I don't see why this is so confusing to people?
Old 05-12-04, 03:22 PM
Banned

May 12, 2004 - After Sony's "Let's watch a movie on our cool new gaming handheld!" conference, we were a little worried about the state of development of the PSP. The portable platform was a showcase of the conference, and many game videos were displayed, but nothing too interactive was running yesterday.

And then, bam -- it's here, it's pretty much playable, and it's already well on its way to making its impact on the handheld market.
With two rolling interactive demos and a PSP gameplay demo, Sony unveiled the PSP the way we've been waiting for. Not much gameplay was there to be seen at the PSP arena, set off to the front corner of the show, but what was there was actual in-game material (unless the show floor walls that the PSP was bolted into contained dev kit servers throwing out simple video feed, but to be honest, the state of the PSP demos led us to believe that a dev kit would be on a different level with the unoptimized early code), and it gave us a feel for how things will work.

First things first -- no more glossing over details or going off of best word from the press sheet ... that little nub in the lower left corner of the system is an analog controller. It is not a trackpoint-type pointer, as some had guessed (OK, I had guessed), but an actual analog switch. It's got a good deal of give and, although it looks awkwardly placed, the heavy ergonomics of the system may end up having you hold the system in a way that this is actually comfortable. In our hands-on, with a unit bolted into the booth, we were not able to wrap our hands fully around the unit, but we were able to get enough of a feel to say that Sony wasn't crazy when they put one of the most vital inputs for the handheld in an odd spot in the corner. It actually felt right.

Second, lay your fears regarding the directional pad to rest for now -- it feels very, very nice. The rounded corners, recessed center, and separate-but-connected button feel of this pad is actually quite a bit friendlier than the current DualShock. It moved smooth, it was tough to slip off the edges, it felt friendly to fighters (a very good thing, since Capcom has already announced one of its 2D fighter franchises with Darkstalkers Chronicle.) Even the playable game demo was not one to make much use of the analog features (the analog stick was not active), so we weren't able to tell whether the buttons had any extra sensitivity like the DualShock2 (and since Sony's press release makes no mention of such a feature, we'll say now that it doesn't.) Button placement for the Triangle-Circle-Cross-Square buttons was also comfortable. This should make for a nice game pad.

What we're not so sure of so far is the placement and feel of the top triggers. As with the GBA and GBA SP, a solution for triggers isn't as obvious as it seems since you need to hold a portable and support the screen at a different angle than a typical game controller. Without being able to get a full feel for the weight and angle of play, we'll just say that it looks to be that the buttons will be about as awkward and tiring as the GBA series -- not terribly so, but certain hand sizes will have trouble with it, and cramping may be a problem any way you face it with games heavily dependent on these buttons. Also, the triggers look to be the only place Sony caved in to form over function -- the buttons are made out of a clear, hard plastic, raised at a somewhat sharp plastic. It could well be that these were just preliminary button plastics, but this is meant to be the actual unit we'll be playing later in the year (...if you're an import gamer -- otherwise, think 2005 unless something drastic changes.)

The TFT screen that composes the bulk of the unit is crisp and beautiful -- evenly lit across the handhold platform. On the video-out, you could see some of the artifacts of the image (although a good deal of that is rendered by the scanline duping of the video output from the PSP model), but on the machine, games looked well-rendered and clean. Gameplay quality will again depend, just like on PS2, on the engine and the type of game being played -- lush outdoor detail and smooth surfaces tend to come across a lot better than harsh, contrasted images, and before the crybabies complain that nobody told them games would be like this, we'll say it now: some times, you will see aliasing on PSP. However, the small screen and accurate detail make for a much cleaner image, so even the edging seen on some straight corners and lines is so small, you'll actually have to be looking for it to see it. The shimmering on the grass texture in Hot Shots Gold, for example, was more smooth than the jaggy PS2 version.

Now that we've gotten our grubby hands on the system, everything looks to be smooth sailing for the handheld unit. A quick fix of the triggers is hopefully in order, but otherwise, this was a fun little unit to hold. Look for more impressions soon.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/514/514135p1.html
Old 05-12-04, 08:37 PM

I have one question.

The picture of the PSP shows it uses MEMORY STICK DUO. I have some MEMORY STICK and I know they are two different things, namely that mine is larger. So does that mean I'll have to go out and get these new DUO sticks in order to use the PSP?
Old 05-12-04, 08:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Gongon, from what I saw, a reg mem. stick will work (and was attached to the display wall). Did anyone see those analog triggers? I love have they were clear plastic!
Old 05-12-04, 09:04 PM

Gizmo, you brought up a really good point in the other thread that nobody has really talked about yet. NO ONE is going to buy a movie for this thing. With the proprietary format it's guaranteed the movies will cost more on UMD than DVD. You can't play them in anything else. Smaller disc capacity also means lower quality image, and probably no extra features. I think its a novelty feature that won't be used. At all.
Old 05-12-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So any of the lucky DVD Talk E3 attendees play the PSP? I would love to hear your hands on impressions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.