Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metal Gear Acid for PSP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal Gear Acid for PSP

Story from Gamespot
Of all the games including in Sony's montage of PSP titles yesterday, few generated as much excitement as the then-unnamed Metal Gear Solid title.

Attendees at the Sony event were split over whether the game would be an all-new title or a port of an earlier game in the series. Doubts also grew after the Konami press conference, where MGS creator Hideo Kojima refused to answer questions about the title, causing some to wonder if he was even involved in his development.

Now, Konami has answered those questions. In a brief press release, Konami announced that Kojima was working Metal Gear Acid, an all-new Solid Snake for the PSP. The publisher said nothing else about the title, other than it would "redefine handheld action gaming" and more information would be released "at a later date."

Check back in the near future for more information on Solid Snake's new adventure on the PSP.
Screenshots here
Old 05-12-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boy, that's cool. They're trying to get me to want a PSP, aren't they? Harumph!
Old 05-13-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More info on the game

From Gamespot
Though there aren't any actual playable PSP games here at E3, Sony is showing off plenty of game demos at its booth, including Konami's new Metal Gear game, Metal Gear Acid. While the demo isn't very long at all, it does reveal a few tidbits about its gameplay.

The largest revelation to come out of this demo is that Metal Gear Acid isn't an action adventure game like its predecessors. Instead, the game is a turn-based tactical strategy game, with what appears to be some card-battle-like mechanics mixed in. You'll move Snake a certain number of squares around a map as you try to sneak up behind guards and take them out.

The cards are, essentially, your weapons. We saw cards for most of the standard Metal Gear weapons, including silenced rifles, claymores, and the like. The turn-based game also gives you some other options, such as the ability to crouch out of sight, knock on walls, and so on. When your turn ends, the screen moves around to the enemy soldiers on the map, giving them each a turn to act. Actions like moving and putting certain weapons into play have a cost associated with them, limiting the number of actions you can take during one turn.

Graphically, Metal Gear Acid looks pretty sharp for a portable game. The demo gets up close and personal with the models for Snake and the genome soldiers he attempts to eliminate, and the models look good, even at close range. The demo is slightly interactive, but it only lets you control the camera during the action instead of letting you control any of the happenings in the game.

Metal Gear Acid seems to be an interesting change of pace for the series, and it will certainly be interesting to see how this game comes together over time.
Old 12-02-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I was reading the recent article in EGM after missing this card-based-battle-system news earlier. I'm very surprised that they would develop a Metal Gear Solid game like this. Are card based battle systems really that popular now?

I mean, we've seen:
Countless Yugioh/Duel Masters/other actual card games adapted to consoles

Phantasy Star Online III went to a card battle system, which killed my interest in it

the new GBA Kingdom Hearts game involves cards as well

I mean, I like Culdcept a lot, but geez. Still could be a great game, what do I know, just not what I expected after only seeing screenshots...
Old 12-02-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Card based games have been huge in Japan since the original Famicom (NES). The popularity of the monster trading games/cartoons have led to them gaining steam over here. I know some came out here for NES/SNES.. Arcana for SNES is one I remember.
Old 12-02-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Ah, that's true. I remember as a kid reading in "Terebi" magazine the huge lists of cards and their stats for all kinds of games, most of them Gundam based. Even had that "barcode battler" that never really took off here, but turned any barcode into a card with stats.

But really, MGS? With the kind of beautiful graphics they tout the PSP as having, it just seems kinda weird. Granted, the developer did say he wanted to keep disc access low to save battery power, so that may have factored into the decision...
Old 12-02-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, all the old Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z RPGs were card based for the Famicom before the switched over to fighting games on the Super Famicom. I actually had one of the those stand-alone Barcode Battlers, picked it up at a dollar store 10-15 years ago. Was only LCD numbers though.. you'd slide a barcode in and it would generate a character and you'd battle another.. they actually took it pretty far in Japan to where they had barcode readers for the Super Famicom for some Gundam games.

You are right though, it is an odd choice for Metal Gear. I draw my SNAP NECK card. You dead sucka!
Old 12-02-04, 01:55 PM

Ac!d is going to be more like Snatcher or Policenauts than Metal Gear. It's basically a graphic adventure game with card battles.