Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people leave before the credits are over? Do you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I always stay to the end of the film. You never know what might show up at the end. Plus sometimes I just want to find out who did some of the songs.

But I've found that usually about 98 percent of the people have left long before the end has arrived-usually the second the credits start rolling.

It doesn't help that the theater turns lights on and many take this Pavlovian cue to exit.

Is it short attention spans, bladder problems or what? Why does someone pay good money to sit through 90-120 or more minutes of a movie and not see if through to the end?

Some films put funny bits or outtakes with the credits to try and retain people and it still fails.

Tonight I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. There are basically three sets of credits. The first started with pix and names of the actors in the film. Probably 85 percent of the people immediately bolted out of the theater.

Then came the second set of credits with Uma driving in black and white. They turned the lights even brighter. Now we're down to my friend and I and one other guy still there.

The lights get brighter again. I was waiting for a disco ball to drop down. The movie finished with the rolling credits/no pics.

After those were over Uma comes back for a quick outtake.

The other person in the theater was a guy in his 80's that may have been wearing Depends since he hung in so long. He mentioned that the credits showed a guy's name that was a director for Republic serial flicks in the old days and urged us to check them out.

So anyway, what's your take on staying for the end credits?
Old 05-11-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because the movie is over. Some people don't care about outtakes.
Old 05-11-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
because except for a few movies that have something special, credits are a waste of time unless you are looking for something specific, like your song example
Old 05-11-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=watch+credits
i watch credits when its on dvd, but not in theaters, mainly because i gotta pee =
Old 05-12-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stay through credits. It annoys me when people complain that they missed the outtakes/bloopers after the credits.
Old 05-12-04, 12:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I also stay through the credits.
Old 05-12-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Because 95% of the time there are no outtakes or bloopers. Nothing in the credits interest me. I know in previous threads people say they watch them out of respect for those who made the movie, but for me i don't see a point, and if i want to look if a certain person was in the film i can just go to IMDB.
Old 05-12-04, 12:33 AM

Last year I only went to theatre three times: Matrix Reloaded, LOTR: TTT & LOTR: ROTK. All three I left as the credits rolled. Why? Mainly because most people I go with are in argue to get out for whatever reasons theirs are.

Anyway vast majority of people leave at that time causing frantic activities around the whole place. Lights are back on, doors are opened (letting in outside noise) and people move affront you and so forth. To me this adds another reason to not stay behind .

At home, I usually watch the credits or let it play.
Old 05-12-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow apone, three films it was worth staying for the credits.

Reloaded had the trailer for revolutions, TTT and ROTK were beautiful songs to go with the credits.
Old 05-12-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because for the longest time, I can't recall ever hearing of movies that had anything after the credits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these "extras" after the credits a relatively new occurrence? There might have been a rare occasion every now and then, but certainly very few up until recently.

So for one thing, there's just the fact that no one expects anything after the credits. It's just out of habit that I get up to leave the second the screen fades to black. In addition to that, nearly everyone gets up to leave at the same time. If the theatre is crowded, it is an extreme annoyance to have your feet stepped on countless times as everyone else tries to navigate around you.

But even more than that is the point that in most cases, I really wouldn't care about a short clip after the credits. Movie credits are so long, I would have to be passionate about a film to stick around five minutes to see a short blooper or extra.

And in all honesty, I've stayed to watch the credits for exactly one movie: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (In which Alanis Morissette appeared.) I have no reason to see who did what thanks to IMDB. 99% of the time, I'm not aware that there are extras after the credits until long after I see the film. And even when I do know the film has a bonus after the credits, it just isn't worth sitting around for the lengthy wait since I just don't care that much about the movie.

In most cases, if I enjoyed the film enough, I'll buy it on DVD. In which case, I'll see whatever was after the credits and so much more. If I didn't enjoy the film enough to buy the DVD, I'm certainly not going to stick around in the theatre to watch anything else from the movie.
Old 05-12-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I shoot out of there like a bat out of hell before the credit. I'll piss my pants if I dont
Old 05-12-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I usually sit through at least half of the end credits (unless I hear beforehand that there is something extra at the very end, i.e. Kill Bill Vol 2). Mostly just to avoid the mad rush out the door, and just to sit and have a bit of a discussion about the film with whomever I'm with. I don't understand the mentality of most people, who are just waiting to jump out of their seats and leave (trying to second guess, often incorrectly, when the movie will actually end).

Of course, there are some movies that were fun to watch in an audience full of people like that. When I saw Wild Things , people were bobbing up and down out of their seats like jack-in -the-boxes during the beginning of the end credits. And when watching a Jackie Chan film, you could tell that most of the audience were not Jackie afficionados, because they started to get up and leave before the obligatory outtakes started. Of course, at that point, some just stand there and watch, blocking the screen.
Old 05-12-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's date night, I'm bolting to get to the good stuff.

Besides, that's what DVDTalk is for. I know which films to stay thru the credits for before I go.
Old 05-12-04, 02:31 AM
Suspended

You know what I hate? I dont mind people leaving - most often they go the other way to the isle, so that's not a big problem. No - the one that pisses me off is the jackass in front of me who stands, stretches, lingers waiting for his friends and gets in my way for no good reason.

If you're gonna leave - leave. If you stay, then SIT YOUR F"ING ASS DOWN! Moron.
Old 05-12-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I stay if I go alone. If I'me with someone it depends on mood.

The one time I REALLY wanted to stay was LOTR: Return of the King and the bitches at the theater turned it off. Sure it was 3:30am but they could've let it run. There was still quite a few of us in the room and we all groaned when they did it.
Old 05-12-04, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By now, if you go through various forums you can find out if something will have a snippet at the end, but for me if there are no obvious clips or bloopers starting once the credits roll Im out. As for paying respect to those involved, I paid my $10 instead of downloading or buying a bootleg, there's my support.
Old 05-12-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Depends on who I'm with. A friend of mine, a film major at the time, got me used to sitting through the credits. But if there's something at the end I'll make people stay. Unless they're driving and want to get out of there.
Old 05-12-04, 08:26 AM

I usually just leave after the end of the movie before credit starts rolling. Sometimes if a movie touches me in some way, I might stay a bit longer to contemplate about the movie. But I usually don't stay around to look at the credit. I might stay longer if the end music is good though.
Old 05-12-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I leave when the credits start.If there is anything worth seeing during the credits I will just catch that on the DVD.I don't want to be the only person sitting in the theater watching credits.
Old 05-12-04, 08:33 AM

I stayed for all the Naked Gun credits, besides that I bolt unless I know for a fact they'll show something.
Old 05-12-04, 08:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I always stay in solemn respect of the gaffer, key grip, and best boy.
Old 05-12-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only stay if:

a) I really like the song playing over the credits
b) outtakes/credit cookies that begin playing immediately after the movie ends

Other than that. I'm outta there. No need to know who the dog hairstylist's third assistant trainee was.

The only time I stayed for the bonus shot after the credits was for Kill Bill 2, but I usually don't even care about those. If I know about it, I'll fast forward through the credits on the DVD to check it out.
Old 05-12-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I nearly always really have to go to the bathroom well before the end of a movie but I always stay anyway. If I can wait that long I can wait five minutes more.
Old 05-12-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A list of names is boring. I show my "respect" by spending $9 to see the damn movie.
Old 05-12-04, 09:27 AM

I must run to beat everyone else out of the parking lot .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.