Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just got a used PS2 console...need help with some newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a used PS2 console...need help with some newb questions

Bought a used PS2 console the other day. I have a 60" Hitachi progressive scan TV and I'm having to sit way too close with the regular controller cords.

Are the aftermarket dual shock controllers and extension cords that are littering ebay okay to use? Or should I stick with Sony stuff? (I could use one or two more controllers anyway).

And I had to hook it up for the time being with the yellow composite cable. Would component or S-video be that much better looking on my TV? Keep in mind I'm used to playing games on the PC with a GF5900U and 21" monitor so the PS2 doesn't impress me much graphically...just wanted it for games I can't get on the PC.

And with the component video, I have one set of connections left on the TV and I might want to save it for an XBox. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-11-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
S-Video and component will greatly improve your display quality.

You should try to stick with Sony Dual Shock controllers. Although 3rd party extension cords should be fine.
Old 05-11-04, 01:14 PM

That really depends on the game , I know a lot of them time using component just brings up the jaggies in a game something fierce. But for instance with Robotech it looked very nice.
Old 05-11-04, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Definetly get the S-Video connection & save component for Xbox. First time I hooked it up with that connection (svid) I was *very* happy, and this was on a 27 TV at the time. The improvement should be even greater on a projection. As to controllers, I've always had problems with 3rd party controllers. Never had a problem with the Sony brand. 3rd party extension cords should be fine (I've never had problems with mine)
Old 05-11-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Someone correct me if this isn't the case now, but I'd heard in the past that third party memory cards were also problematic and you should only stick to Sony brand. Is that still true?
Old 05-11-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks everyone, think I'll stick pretty much all with Sony stuff except the cords then. And probably S-video hookup.
Old 05-11-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
Someone correct me if this isn't the case now, but I'd heard in the past that third party memory cards were also problematic and you should only stick to Sony brand. Is that still true?
True, use only 1st party memory cards to reduce the risk of losing valuable data.