Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

wireless headsets for Xbox Live...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wireless headsets for Xbox Live...

...there aren't any. There are plenty of wireless controllers for Xbox, but no wireless headsets. The problem of course is that all the wireless controllers have the expansion slots in the receiver, not in the controller. So that means that if you're on Xbox Live & want to use a headset, you're still tied down by wires. I'm sure all you Xbox Live players are also familiar with tripping over your own headset wires and breaking your headset or ripping the headset off your ear. It's a pain, and you know you want to go wireless!

I have the Logitech wireless controller for Xbox, and it works great. But I also wanted a wireless headset, so I did some research. Basically you need to buy a 2.5mm wireless headset that is normally used for cell phones, then connect that to the headset jack on the communicator unit that plugs into the expansion slot. Here are some of the better options out there IMO:'

1.) Jabra Freespeak Cordless Headset BT200 with 2.5mm adapter for non-bluetooth phones. $179 retail price, $115 at buy.com. very stylish looking, very comfortable. 900Mhz operating frequency. 30-foot range is a huge plus. this is a popular solution for people looking for wireless headsets for xbox live. the big downside that ruled this device out for my own use is that average talk time (according to various user reviews) ends up being only 1.5-2.5 hrs before needing a recharge. but, if you only play in short sessions on xbox live, this may be the best choice.

2.) Logitech Mobile Cordless Headset wtih 2.5mm jack. $99 retail price, $69 at tigerdirect.com. also stylish looking and comfortable. This is the one I ended up buying. It uses 900Mhz frequency range, so it doesn't interfere with my 2.4Ghz wireless controller or my 802.11b wireless PC network. The carrying case doubles as a charging station. Charge time is 2 hours, talk time is 6-8 hrs, and max range is 10 feet. the downside on this one is the relatively low 10 ft range, but the longer talk time makes up for it IMO.

3.) Agenor wireless headset from www.braveconcepts.com. This product is not yet released; it's still in development. But it looks promising. This one will plug directly into the expansion slots, as it is made specifically for xbox wireless headset use. The specs on the website look promising. Whether the final product will match those specs is yet to be seen. Also this product has been delayed many times, so who knows when it'll be released. ebgames does have a placeholder for this product on their website... says it'll ship in June 1, 2004 for $59. Personally I'd just buy the Logitech instead for $10 more and enjoy having the option to use it for cell phone use also.

If anyone would like to add more reviews or different solutions for wireless headsets, feel free to add to this thread.

Ok, hope that helps shed some light on wireless headset solutions for Xbox Live. It's not cheap, but the freedom of having no wires is great. Now I'm just waiting for the wireless steering wheels and light guns.
Old 05-11-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to get a wireless headset for my xbox, then I wouldn't have to take off the headset when I go pee!
Old 05-11-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by goLUCKY
I'd like to get a wireless headset for my xbox, then I wouldn't have to take off the headset when I go pee!
I usually just bring the controller with me. Just have to make sure it's muted.
Old 05-11-04, 03:24 PM

Mad Catz has announced a slew of new products, one of which is a wireless Xbox Live headset.

HipCom Wireless Headset (Xbox)

-- Wireless Xbox(R) Live(TM) headset with communicator for online gaming

-- Compatible with all cable and wireless Xbox controllers

-- Unblockable RF technology

-- Transfers data signal to and from headset and communicator

Here's the link (includes other new products).
Old 05-14-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

update: I have to retract my endorsement for the Logitech Mobile Headset. After putting it thru the paces it doesn't seem to work well with Xbox Live. It works fine with my cell phone, but when I use it for Xbox Live other players complain that they hear an echo of everything that is being said by anyone, including themselves. I'm returning it and buying the jabra freespeak.
Old 05-15-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few other recent comments on this topic here.
Old 05-17-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Check ebay for the Jabra headset. I was looking on there this weekend and I found some that ended as low as $50.
Old 05-17-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hip Gear is coming out with a wireless controller that contains a headset jack.
Old 05-21-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ended up ordering the Jabra Freespeak from TigerDirect.com for $125. It was the cheapest in-stock option outside of ebay I could find... (I had a bad experience w/ebay & prefer not to use it if possible)

Tried it out for 2+ hours tonight with PGR2 on Xbox Live, and it works great! The earpiece is very comfortable - much more comfortable than the standard headset you get with xbox live. The base receiver also functions as a charger for the headset. I don't hear any static like I did with the Logitech wireless headset, and the headset volume is a lot louder too, which is great. No echos, no problems. Other players had no problems hearing me, and I had no problems hearing anyone else. No interference in sound, despite my wireless PC network, wireless PC keyboard/mouse, and wireless xbox controller all operating in the same room.

Definitely 2 thumbs way up for this product. Highly recommended if you want to go fully wireless on Xbox. Only problem is the cost, but if you can afford it, go for it!
Old 05-21-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$125

It looks really slick, but wow the cost. I wonder if this will come down in price anytime soon.
Old 05-24-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Copenhagen
$125

It looks really slick, but wow the cost. I wonder if this will come down in price anytime soon.
Perhaps as people on ebay have them from $50, and I saw $70 Buy it now options.
Old 05-24-04, 10:11 AM

the $50 buck one's are for just the headset, but you also need the reciever with the 2.5mm plug, and those cost $125ish.

I know because those are high on my want list.

Last edited by goLUCKY; 05-24-04 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by goLUCKY
the $50 buck one's are for just the headset, but you also need the reciever with the 2.5mm plug, and those cost $125ish.

I know because those are high on my want list.

http://search.ebay.com/Jabra-BT200-n...ogZ1QQfromZR10

Here are some that say they have it all, for non-blue tooth phones. Starting at $50 with some Buy it nows at $65. Are these not the right ones? I am thinking about one of these myself, for my phone and Xbox.
Old 06-16-04, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Any idea when either of the wireless controllers that use the headset will be out?
Old 07-31-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Any idea when either of the wireless controllers that use the headset will be out?
October 2004! Hip Gear has put up the info on their XB-Comm Bluetooth Wireless Controller & Headset on their website.
No direct link, but here's the info (no MSRP listed, BTW ):

The XB-Comm Controller with Bluetooth Wireless Technology was designed from the ground up for Xbox Live.

The Bluetooth Wireless technology built directly into the controller lets you roam around the room free of wires, with the same clear sound and precision of a wired solution.

Plug your Headset with Microphone into the Controller and you're all set for online gaming (Online gaming subscription not included)
Up to 10 meter (30 foot) range
Headset can be switched for use with left or right ear
Auto channel scanning for maximum signal strength
Turbo fire
Macro Programming puts complex moves at your fingertips
Dual Vibration Feedback motors let you feel all of the action
Power Saving Mode
Super Long Playing Time - Up to 100 hours (with vibration deactivated)
Fully analog buttons
Twin 3D rubberized analog sticks for precise control
Low Battery Warning Indicator
4AA batteries included
Rubberized Grips are easy on your hands during long gaming sessions
Expansion port for Memory Cards

COMING OCTOBER 2004

Looks verrrrry nice, indeed!
Old 10-15-04, 04:33 PM

Just to update this thread. Not only is the Hip Gear Wireless controller coming with bluetooth very soon at the absurdly high price of $99.99,
they are also smartly releasing a wireless headset without controllers for those of us with wireless controllers already. It's priced at a slightly more palatable $59.99. Might be a good alternative for some. It comes out 11/1/04
Old 10-15-04, 05:17 PM

I just need a wireless headset, so that I can get a coke, and not here what my squad's next strategy is. And this one might just fill the bill.

Now gamers have one less thing to worry about -- the headset cord -- as they strategize with teammates and stalk enemies for the kill. In addition, the Logitech Cordless Headset for Xbox, when used in conjunction the award winning Logitech(R) Cordless Precision Controller, lets Xbox Live enthusiasts experience one of the first completely cordless solutions for online game play.

Licensed by Microsoft, the Logitech Cordless Headset for Xbox offers a compact design and rechargeable batteries that provide up to six hours of play time. The headset is lightweight and sits comfortably over the ear for use for hours of extreme game play so gamers can communicate with teammates and adversaries all over the world in real time, without being tied to their system.

The Logitech Cordless Headset for Xbox uses 2.4 GHz technology, which provides clear audio transmission without interference or delays so no team member is left behind. And, the headset offers the high-quality audio that gamers have come to expect from Logitech.

"Online gaming is intense, and communication is becoming essential for victory in battle," said Jef Holove, director of product marketing for Logitech's Interactive Entertainment products. "The Cordless Headset for Xbox gives players a real advantage in multiplayer gaming and the cordless freedom they've been looking for. Online console gaming will play a significant role in the future of video games and we are pleased to be providing gamers with quality solutions for Xbox Live."

Last edited by goLUCKY; 10-15-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
price, release date, etc?

I love Logitech's wireless controllers, but those are 2nd generation ones, so I'm a little hesitant about this one.
Old 10-15-04, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
price, release date, etc?

I love Logitech's wireless controllers, but those are 2nd generation ones, so I'm a little hesitant about this one.
IGN just posted a review of it. It's pretty pricey at $79.99 and sounds like it's a little disappointing in terms of performance. Sounds like I'll be sticking with the corded solution for a while unless Frys offers the Hip Gear headset cheap (like they're alllways doing with the Hip Gear wireless controller).
Old 10-16-04, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Decker
IGN just posted a review of it. It's pretty pricey at $79.99 and sounds like it's a little disappointing in terms of performance. Sounds like I'll be sticking with the corded solution for a while unless Frys offers the Hip Gear headset cheap (like they're alllways doing with the Hip Gear wireless controller).

I'd rather have a wireless headset, than a wireless controller. When I get up to get a coke, I'll put the controller down, but I hate taking off the head set.
Old 10-16-04, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

I have to get all of the live deal set for next month - HALO 2!!!

Should I just start with the kit? The problem for me is my xbox is in my entertainment center and its just too far to the couch for the S controller cord. Is the stock headset cord the same lenght as the S controller?

If it is then I have to go wireless.
Old 10-16-04, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Hey does the stock headset connect to the controller or to the xbox?
Old 10-16-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
To the controller.

The biggest downfall of the Logitech is the price and the position of the mute button. It's so convenient having the mute button right on the controller.
Old 10-16-04, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
To the STOCK controller. Use a wireless controller and it connects to the receiver that's about 1 ft or less from the Xbox. This is why a wireless headset would be an attractive alternative to those of us with wireless controllers and a Live account.
Old 10-16-04, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Yeap that is my problem then. I have a wireless controller also.

So now this is the problem.

Option 1
Get the live starter kit and an extension cable. Hook the wireless reciever to the xbox with extension cable and then hook the headphone to that and it should just reach (the standard S controller is only about 2 feet short). So the extra lenght of the wireless reciever and the headset should reach

Option 2
Get one of the wireless options and then just pay full price for the year of live

ARGH! what would you guys do. The started kit seems like a great deal because the game and the headset but then I havethis wire deal????

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.