Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

good divx/xvid dvd player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-04, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really want to get one of these but have no idea what a good one is. ive been searching on ebay for one, but not sure which ones are good. i want them to play all divx/xvid codecs (or be reliable for most) play dvd of course svcd and dvdr and dvdrw. really wondering how well the divx players on the market work since they are fairly new and not too expensive from what ive seen. would like some input. thanks lot.
Old 05-09-04, 11:58 AM

I just bought the RCA DRC240N DVD player at Buy.com. It says it plays Divx, so I took the chance and ordered it online. It might be a week until I get it, but I'll let you know how it is when it arrives. I have no idea about tech specs of DVD players that play Divx, so I just bought the one that looked the coolest.
Old 05-10-04, 02:29 PM

Have you looked into getting a modded xbox?

Plays almost everything including DIVX with the Xbox Media Player/Center app. + you can play games, mp3s, emulate other consoles

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Here's a review I found.

Last edited by Barenaked Beagle; 05-12-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-22-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

get the philips 642 for $69.99 at compusa, target or walmart, bestbuy.com has it for $79.99, amazon.com has it for 69.99. and it could be hack to region free also
Old 05-22-04, 01:55 PM

that looks like a nice on the dude8. do you have it? very cheap and was wondering how well it plays xvid and divx? it does play xvid as well right? i might try to buy it from amazon.com if i can use my border gift cards there i think i can... let me know how it is as a player if you have it or if anyone else does thanks alot man.
Old 05-23-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bhome83
that looks like a nice on the dude8. do you have it? very cheap and was wondering how well it plays xvid and divx? it does play xvid as well right? i might try to buy it from amazon.com if i can use my border gift cards there i think i can... let me know how it is as a player if you have it or if anyone else does thanks alot man.
Here's a thread on it over in International Talk:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=361836
Old 05-25-04, 10:53 PM

how do divx players work? when i burn divx movies i use nero and burn them as a data cd and of recently (the last few months or so) i have been burning the original folder name with the movie and .nfo inside it. anyone know if this will still play the movie? does the movie just start playing once you insert the cd with the movie on it? thanks.
Old 05-27-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The player brings up an Explorer type menu directory. You then select the file using the remote.