Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount's MGM Sale Mishap

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am usually a big fan of DDD, but this really ticked me off. I ordered the When Harry Met Sally SE, Bull Durham SE and Legally Blonde SE. What I received was the WHMS SE and the regular versions of the other two. The Legally Blonde is a gift, so it put me in a bad position.

I can understand that mistakes happen. Although I don't understand why the people in the warehouse cannot read an invoice clearly marked SE on all discs. Anyway, when I called CS, the rep proceeded to tell me that they wouldn't send out the SE's until they received the wrong items back. Is it just me, but isn't this truly bad customer service?

After three attempts to speak to a supervisor, and having to get loud, the rep finally told me he received "authorization" to send the replacements. Why did I even have to argue this point? Technically, I don't think I am even required to send back the wrong discs, but I wanted to do the right thing.

If you ordered from the sale, make sure you check your discs if you ordered anything SE...
Old 05-07-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had a problem with getting advanced replacements but then i havent had any problems in about a year.
Old 05-07-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What did you get if you didn't get the special editions? The specials editions are the only versions of those two movies that MGM has released. Unless they quietly removed the extra features from the discs like they did with It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and The Producers.
Old 05-08-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Legally Blonde and Bull Durham were only available in Special Editions. I've noticed they do tend to change the coverart from time to time. Bull Durham itself used to come in a white slipcase, but the never version is a simple cover with Costner and Sarandon, but its the same disc to my knowledge.
Old 05-08-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by D-Ball
What did you get if you didn't get the special editions? The specials editions are the only versions of those two movies that MGM has released. Unless they quietly removed the extra features from the discs like they did with It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and The Producers.
That is exactly what they must have done. I bought Legally Blonde when it first came out and it had deleted scenes, featurettes, music videos, etc. This one comes in a pink case, with no "Special Edition" banner at the top. The only special feature is commentary.

Same thing with the Bull Durham, but I found the Special Edition should have the following:

Supplements
- feature commentary with writer/director Ron Shelton
- feature commentary with actors Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins
- "Between the Lines: The Making of Bull Durham" documentary
- "Kevin Costner Profile" documentary
- "Sports Wrap" documentary
- photo gallery
- theatrical trailers

Both of the non special editions have a 2004 release date...
Old 05-09-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder what other titles MGM has done this to. Unfortunately for you, DDD will probably send the same versions that you already received. And most likely, DDD was never informed of the change.
Old 05-09-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by D-Ball
I wonder what other titles MGM has done this to. Unfortunately for you, DDD will probably send the same versions that you already received. And most likely, DDD was never informed of the change.
I thought the same thing as you, so I asked the rep to make some notation so the mistake wasn't duplicated. I am positive the SEs say "Special Edition" at the top, so I am hoping they will catch that on the re-shipment...
Old 05-11-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
I didn't even know that there were anything other than the one release for both. For the record, the actual cover on Bull Durham is no different now, it just doesn't have the white slip case.
Old 05-18-04, 03:34 PM

I just had this same thing happen from DDD and DVD Empire. I called DVD Empire, next is a call to DDD (I already opened that one, that's how I noticed I didn't get the evrsion I ordered.)

I blame MGM for their deceptive re-use of the UPC code.