Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Haute Tension (High Tension)

zak52
05-06-04, 05:19 PM
Who has seen this movie? How is it? I've heard a lot of postitive reviews for it. It is playing tomorrow night at the Maryland Film Festival and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go or wait for the DVD.

Giles
05-06-04, 05:21 PM
no no, go and see it, Lions Gate I read is sitting on the fence with this and not releasing it until 2005.

Giles
05-06-04, 05:22 PM
The Korean Region 1 NTSC DVD is missing some of the more graphic gore and the double DVD French release Special Edition is well.. in French.

zak52
05-06-04, 05:24 PM
According to the Baltimore Sun, they will be showing the NC-17 version. Is that the uncut version?

Giles
05-06-04, 05:25 PM
yes

caiman
05-19-04, 02:38 AM
Wanted to bump this and say what a great movie this is. Every horror fan needs to see it. It was mean, gritty, and to the point - everything a horror movie should be. Think Wrong Turn, only with better acting, better direction, MUCH more intensity, and about ten times more gore. Yes, this was definitely one of the gorier horror movies to come out in a long time.

My only complaint is the twist ending. It just felt unnecessary. And the whole "it was actually the same person the whole time" thing has been done to death. But I can't complain too much, since it was executed pretty well, and was pretty unexpected. And since the 90 minutes that came before it were so excellent, I can let it slide.

Everyone see this movie!

Giles
05-19-04, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by caiman

My only complaint is the twist ending. It just felt unnecessary. And the whole "it was actually the same person the whole time" thing has been done to death. But I can't complain too much, since it was executed pretty well, and was pretty unexpected. And since the 90 minutes that came before it were so excellent, I can let it slide.

I felt the same exact way - when it was revealed I rolled my eyes and thought 'oh no, why?' - the film essentail slipped and fell on it's face at that point.

sundog
05-19-04, 09:47 AM
Here's my spoiler-free review from another thread:

Haute Tension (2003)

Or, in English, "High Tension". Another fitting title would be Pure Exploitation. Really, I haven't seen a slasher flick this good for years. No exposition, no subplots, no tortured background stories, just one night in hell for two girls, one abducted by a psychopath, the other (her lover) racing to save her. Quality kills abound and it becomes all too clear that the director Alexandre Aja doesn't give a shit. He's just trying to crank up and wring out the tension, and he does it with characters that aren't stupid, characters that have to make split-second decisions. It's a nightmare on film, complete with unceasing gore and blood. There's a lot of influence from American horror films and thrillers, only streamlined.

This is a kind of film that will get the director branded as misogynist, manipulator, sexist, derivative, cheater, etc. But that's not the point of this film; it's an exercise, like the title, in tension. Grand Guignol (I love that phrase) par excellance.

Also:
I did not find the "twist" at all disruptive. In fact, I would find the film boring if stayed on its path. The variation is a smart move. First Act: Home invasion and mass murder. Second Act: Kidnapping and chase. Third Act: Revelation and climax. Sure, the switch makes no sense in the plot details, but filmwise it's the perfect capper. Where else could the filmmakers go after the second act?

Grimfarrow
05-19-04, 01:38 PM
I personally found the film not scary, and the twist unconvincing and shallow. But then, I don't like slasher films, so I'm not the core audience of such films.

caiman
05-19-04, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by sundog

Also:
Sure, the switch makes no sense in the plot details, but filmwise it's the perfect capper. Where else could the filmmakers go after the second act?

You have a pretty good point there, but I just know there had to be an alternative way to end things. If they had just explained things a bit better I might have been more satisfied. When you think back through the events of the movie, nothing makes sense. Ok, so Marie killed everyone and the guy in the old truck didn't even exist. But then who was out in the truck masturbating with a severed head? If the truck wasn't real, what vehicle did she drive to the gas station? And are we supposed to assume the whole car chase and resulting crash didn't even take place? She can't be driving two cars at the same time. Who did she kill at the end? Oh well, I guess it's better just not to think about those things.

sundog
05-19-04, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by caiman
But then who was out in the truck masturbating with a severed head?

First, the scene above is one of the best killer introductions I've seen. Second, that moment is the first sign that this movie doesn't care.
I agree that the plot essentially self-destructs after the "revelation" and I did feel a moment of pity for what came before (the first two acts are just so excellent). But that pity didn't last too long. I found it to be a refreshing act of subversion to blatantly go deus ex machina in order to complicate, rather than resolve, the plot.

DVD Smurf
05-19-04, 05:21 PM
Intense... I did not like Wrong Turn and as caiman says it is better, and I think it is definitly worth a viewing.

Cheers :beer:

DVD Smurf :)

slop101
05-19-04, 05:23 PM
The R2 French dvd of HT kicks all sorts of ass - but it does not have English sub-titles.

The Korean dvd is all-region, has English subs, but is missing the following scenes:
- A snippet from the killer with the girl head in his truck.
- The actual head rip from the decap, the spray of blood, and the close up of the spray.
- The severed hand next to the phone.
- The initial impact of the axe and the shots of it being in him.
- The first 'rip-away' of the barbed wire stick aganist the killer's face where it directly shows the torn flesh on his face.
- The side perspective of the cut-away machine sawing into the driver's torso with him visibly screaming caked in blood.

To me, that's unacceptable, because the above scenes are primarily why I'm wathching a movie like this.

caiman
05-19-04, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by sundog
First, the scene above is one of the best killer introductions I've seen.

I totally agree. :thumbsup:

Rypro 525
05-19-04, 06:05 PM
damn, i really want to see this movie, am some what poor (can't afford a decent region free player), don't want a cut version, and don't want characters talking like chipmunks (pal speed up), what to do?

DVDho78DTS
05-19-04, 06:06 PM
You can see the trailer here (http://www.cinecinema.fr/ds_les_salles/fiches/fiche_technique.html?id_fiche=20#).

Just click on the graphic that says "cliquez ici."

asianxcore
05-19-04, 06:17 PM
I'm hoping when I go to France in a couple weeks, that I'll be able to find this movie cheap.

TomOpus
05-19-04, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
damn, i really want to see this movie, am some what poor (can't afford a decent region free player), don't want a cut version, and don't want characters talking like chipmunks (pal speed up), what to do? Just sit and be patient like most of the rest of us :(

Actually, this may piss off some purists, but I was thinking of getting the cut version now just to see it. When Lion's Gate releases the uncut version, I'll be all over it.

slop101
05-20-04, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
... and don't want characters talking like chipmunks (pal speed up), what to do?

Unless you speak French AND are familiar with those specific actors' voices - there is no way in hell that you would notice.

Giles
05-20-04, 10:24 AM
For our British (living in the UK) DVDTalkers - the film was just theatrically released under it's alternate title: Switchblade Romance

and passed uncut by the BBFC.

slop101
05-20-04, 11:45 AM
^ which means that we'll get an uncut, subtitled R2 release before an R1.

Rival11
05-31-04, 11:26 PM
When is the coming out on DVD in the States??? I'm looking all over for it but can't find a damn thing.

Somebody mentioned that Lions Gate won't release it until 2005, is that true???

TomOpus
05-31-04, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Rival11
When is the coming out on DVD in the States??? I'm looking all over for it but can't find a damn thing.

Somebody mentioned that Lions Gate won't release it until 2005, is that true??? xploited cinema has both the Korean R0 cut version and the French R2 PAL uncut 2-disc version. They have outstanding service, though their prices are a tad high but well worth it. Here's the link for the movies:

Haute Tension (http://www.xploitedcinema.com/search.asp?search=haute&SUBMIT.x=17&SUBMIT.y=13)

This is it for getting the movie on DVD until Lions Gate releases to R1.

Rival11
05-31-04, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by TomOpus
xploitedcinema has both the Korean R0 cut version and the French R2 PAL uncut version. They have outstanding service, though their prices are a tad high but well worth it. Here's the link for the movies:

Haute Tension (http://www.xploitedcinema.com/search.asp?search=haute&SUBMIT.x=17&SUBMIT.y=13)

Cool - Thanks!!!

harosa
06-01-04, 07:15 AM
Some EBayers are selling spliced versions of both films I recently saw online. Im dying to see this movie but the Korean version being cut just slowed me down, if the cuts werent as drastic as some said then Id have gotten it a long time ago.

Mano
11-19-04, 04:49 PM
Apple has the trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/high_tension/) up on their website if you want to take a peek. Looks pretty good.

Anybody know the name of the song in the trailer?

Mano
11-19-04, 04:53 PM
Nevermind I found out its Sonic Youth from another thread.

harosa
11-20-04, 04:47 AM
There is a Thai DVD that is dirt cheap that has English audio on it.

DonnachaOne
11-20-04, 06:09 PM
Well, I just watched the film, and....
I liked it better when Donald Kaufman described it in Adaptation. All sorts of things just don't quite gel. Where'd the van come from, eh?

Still entertaining, and much better than your average gorelust film. GREAT imagery. The "come to my arms" bit at the end sure stays with you...
Originally posted by Giles
The music for the trailer is very interesting and effective but I don't remember if it is from the actual movie - is it? No, it isn't. The trailer music is Sonic Youth's cover of the Carpenters' "Superstar". Not in the flick. But a killer track, no pun intended.Originally posted by harosa
There is a Thai DVD that is dirt cheap that has English audio on it. Yeah, BUT it's english ONLY.

harosa
11-21-04, 04:44 PM
True, although for some people thats all they want.
Spoiler concerning some stuff-----

Everythime I get into an arguement with someone concerning the ending and what was seen earlier, what I say that can almost explain the movie is that the killer at the beginning is telling the interviewer a story, which we are watching so all leaps of logic go out the window, I know, I know, that doesnt explain the cops seeing the videotape and the killer getting a bj in the truck but to me it explains most of the movie, we're watching someone's delusional retelling of facts.

End of spoiler talk.

DonnachaOne
11-22-04, 10:06 AM
Harosa - spoiler tags are easy, and fun too!

Tx that you don't want to spoil

Remove the Gs I placed in the brackets, and voila!

Tx that you don't want to spoil

harosa
11-22-04, 10:48 AM
thanks, first time ive tried it