E.r. - 05/06/04

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
E.r. - 05/06/04

"Midnight"

Spoiler:
Dr. Carter suspects trouble and rushes his pregnant girlfriend (Thandie Newton) to the E.R.

Cast: Noah Wyle, Laura Innes, Alex Kingston, Goran Visnjic, Maura Tierney, Ming-Na , Sherry Stringfield, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer, Linda Cardellini, Thandie Newton, Hallee Hirsh, Cole Hauser, Troy Evans.
Producer(s): John Wells, Michael Crichton, Neal Baer, Jack Orman.

Original Airdate: May 6, 2004.
Old 05-06-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many more seasons is ER going to have? I haven't heard anything for after this season.
Old 05-06-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone translate the conversation between abby and weaver into english for me?
Old 05-06-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was about to ask the same - my wife was talking to me about the baby and I didn't catch all of it. It seemed somewhat against protocol and that's about it.
Old 05-06-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Alvis
How many more seasons is ER going to have? I haven't heard anything for after this season.
Spoiler:
All I know is that I read that Goran Visnjic ("Luka") is gone after next season. I think that is when Noah Wyle's deal is up, too.
Old 05-06-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, this is not the episode to watch when you are expecting your first child before the end of the summer.
Old 05-06-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, that was heartwrenching. I still have chills.

Re: Weaver and Abby - I think Weaver was trying to push Abby off of the County General match list because Abby wasn't able to pass her boards. Then again, all I got from it was Weaver was being a skeezy bureaucrat.
Old 05-06-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh damn, I'm in tears over that final scene with Carter and Kim saying goodbye to their child.
Old 05-06-04, 10:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
Spoiler:
All I know is that I read that Goran Visnjic ("Luka") is gone after next season. I think that is when Noah Wyle's deal is up, too.
I read they're talking to
Spoiler:
Shane West and Joshua Jackson
about coming on next year. I think the first one has all ready signed on for a few episodes.

This was a pretty depressing night all around on NBC.

I thought Noah Wyle was great tonight.

I guess Abby won't become a character witness for Weaver
Old 05-06-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RoQuEr
can someone translate the conversation between abby and weaver into english for me?
Glad i'm not the only one that didn't understand that shit!

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 05-06-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-06-04, 10:15 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Damn, this is not the episode to watch when you are expecting your first child before the end of the summer.
My wife is due in three weeks (5/27) and my own twin brother died pretty much the same way 30 years ago (5/28)... I can relate.

I was flipping back to NBC during the commercials on w/oAT, and caught this, and then changed to finish watching the overrun. Since w/oAT started, I stopped watching ER.
Old 05-06-04, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by MrX
Spoiler:
about coming on next year. I think the first one has all ready signed on for a few episodes.
Spoiler:
I read that Shane West is becoming a cast member next season, he's supposed to be a new intern or resident (I've read both). I haven't heard about Joshua Jackson. It would appear they're going after the teenage girl audience.

This episode was very sad. Great acting by Noah Wyle though. I can't imagine how hard it would be to deal with something like that. I wasn't too sure what that Abby and Kerry thing was about either. I think Weaver was trying to screw Abby and Abby turned it around on her.
Old 05-06-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrX
Spoiler:

This was a pretty depressing night all around on NBC.

I thought Noah Wyle was great tonight.
Interesting - I haven't read any casting rumors lately.

Noah was excellent - his best job in quite some time.

I am definitely glad the wife fell asleep during this ep - she had her second ultra-sound today and it looks like she might be able to come off of her pelvic rest (so things are looking up). This ep would not have been good for her spirits.

If they bring Morris back next year I will be extremely pissed off. We already have Weaver to hate, why the f'ck do we need him around?

I love the character that is Abby.
Old 05-06-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Recap "Midnight"

A very heartwrenching episode.

Carter and Kimba lose their child due to a very tragic circumstance where the baby squirmed around and tied a knot in his umbilical cord and died in the womb. Carter's father shows up for support and Carter needed every bit of it. The final scene where Carter knows he needs for Kim to say goodbye but she's so reluctant to even look at her son was so sad. It brought tears to my eyes.

Sam's creepy ex wants to try to put his family back together and asks Luka to step aside, which he does for the time being.

Neela is concerned with a 17 year old patient, Elgin, who was hypertensive and appeared to not be in good condition to be out and about. She convinces Pratt to go find him at his residence, and Elgin's not in good shape, but Pratt convinces Neela that he needs to just take better care of himself. Later Elgin shows up in the ER in heart failure. Pratt is exasperated by the turn of events.

It's graduation time for Neela and for Abby. Neela's large family shows up for the ceremonies, and she takes them on a tour of the ER, and gets an eyeful of a patient that wanders around in the buff. Abby barely makes it to walk across the stage. Luka and Susan are in attendance (as is Sam, her ex, and Alex). Afterwards she declines to celebrate with the gang, but calls her mom to tell her about graduation (though her degree was one of those "not quite done, on hold dependent on passing your finals" degee holders).

Weavers finds out that Abby failed her boards (way to go Morris!), and is concerned about Abby being a match while not passing her boards, which would be a bad thing for the hospital, and hints around perhaps trying to pass Abby off to her second choice, and Abby gets very legalistic and defensive about the skeeziness of Weaver's intonations. It was not a pleasant encounter. (I could have gotten the gist of it wrong given the way the dialogue flowed, but that what I got from their scene).
Old 05-06-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good luck in a few weeks, G-berg.
Old 05-06-04, 10:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Did anyone else start to cringe when Abby called her mom?
Old 05-06-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrX
Yes, I almost began to change the channel.
Old 05-06-04, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by MrX
I did

I wonder if that was Sally Fields' voice on the other end? It kinda sounded like her.
Old 05-06-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Glad to see I wasn't the only one that need that Weaver/Abby converstation translated.

Didn't care for what they did to Carter. Jesus Christ, it's been 10 seasons now, can't the guy get a break??!

Also glad to see that NBC broke tradition and started ER at 10:05. I was finally able to see the ending of Smackdown! live.

err...not that it mattered...
Old 05-06-04, 11:02 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Good luck in a few weeks, G-berg.
Thanks... and right back at ya.

(This is number three for us... so we're seasoned. Have fun with your first one... you'll be reading these forums alot at 3 in the morning... not that you don't anyway... )
Old 05-06-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Goldberg74
(This is number three for us... so we're seasoned. Have fun with your first one... you'll be reading these forums alot at 3 in the morning... not that you don't anyway... )
I haven't slept good since I was a kid - I never know when I will be up reading the forum. It's my wife I am concerned about. I can subsist on an interrupted four or five hour sleep - she can't.
Old 05-07-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screw NBC. They run Friends ridiculously long and then run ER ridiculously long too. My TiVo cut out right at the point where the fat kid had just come in and Carter was about to try to get his girlfriend to look at the baby.
Old 05-07-04, 02:02 AM

My TiVo did the exact same thing. Luckily, I was able to catch the West Coast feed. Damn you NBC & Friends.
Old 05-07-04, 07:58 AM

Re: abby and weaver.
The way that the match works is if you fail your step exam right before you are supposed to go into residency the residency program can drop you. Furthermore, MOST medical schools say that you must pass the boards before you enter residency and your medical school can keep you one more year without you getting a chance to take them over. Because of that I was surpirsed that she was allowed to take them again.

But if you get dropped from your residency it is totally up to the program that you are entering.
Old 05-07-04, 08:58 AM

Wow. I'm glad there's no Tivo in Canada I was pretty depressing to watch right after the Friends finale. But i knew both shows were gonna overlap; it's NBC after all!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.