Angel - 05/05/04

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Angel - 05/05/04

"The Girl in Question", Episode #520.

Spoiler:
Angel and Spike travel to Rome with plans to rescue Buffy from their old nemesis, The Immortal.

Cast: David Boreanaz, Alexis Denisof, J. August Richards, Amy Acker, Andy Hallett, James Marsters, Mercedes McNab, Julie Benz, Tom Lenk, Juliet Landau.
Director(s): David Greenwalt.
Producer(s): Joss Whedon, Gail Berman, Fran Rubel Kuzui, Kaz Kuzui, Sandy Gallin, David Greenwalt.
Writer(s): Drew Goddard, Steven S. DeKnight.

Original Airdate: May 5, 2004.
Old 05-05-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strongbad!
Old 05-05-04, 08:40 PM

As one big joke
Old 05-05-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Aren't jokes supposed to be funny? This episode sure isn't.
Old 05-05-04, 08:47 PM

It is working for me in that I like the character development but no the ep really isn't that funny.
Old 05-05-04, 09:00 PM

Spike looking at Dru - "Son of a bitch!". Laughed out loud at that.
Old 05-05-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't have minded it as much if it wasn't so painfully obvious that SMG wouldn't do the show. The fact that they didn't even show The Immortal at all was also disappointing. I was also expecting more resolution with the flashback sequences.

Anyway, it wasn't great, but it wasn't all bad. Seeing a little of the old Fred was cool. And Angel's "meanwhile, he's eating cookie dough!" line was LOL funny.
Old 05-05-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what some of you saw but that episode was incredible.
Old 05-05-04, 09:07 PM

This episode wasn't that bad, but it sure didn't belong in the "Last 5 of the series". A little earlier would have been better.
Old 05-05-04, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Puzznic
Old 05-05-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Puzznic
An incredible episode of Charmed maybe. Lame comedy, spotty production values, working around an actress that's no longer on the show, and cleavage on display are better suited there.
Old 05-05-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Adam Tyner
An incredible episode of Charmed maybe. Lame comedy, spotty production values, working around an actress that's no longer on the show, and cleavage on display are better suited there.
maybe a last ditch effort for renewal? afterall, It did work for Charmed
Old 05-05-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was a bizarre episode, and it felt like such a step back for both Angel and Spike. I guess they'll never grow up or becomed baked either.

"Meanwhile, the Immortal's eating cookie dough!"

Now the Fred/Illyria bit was spooky, but welcomed. The way Amy Acker moved in between the 2 personas was creepy as well, and I shared Wesley's discomfort throughout that subplot. Alexis never fails to deliver the dramatic goods.

Last edited by Patman; 05-05-04 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Adam Tyner

I wish that was a typical episode of Charmed. Maybe that way i would have something else to watch after my favorite show gets cancelled. What i saw was a fun, funny episode that let you see Angel and Spike in a totally different environment. Add in Andrew, good chracter development, and some great references to past Buffy and Angel episodes and you have a great episode. It might be a bit different than what you normally see on Angel but thats what made it great. And buffy was never "on" the show. Theres no reason that they shouldn't explore Angel and Spikes love of Buffy, and their rivalry because of it, before the show ends just because they can't actually show her for a few seconds
Old 05-05-04, 10:00 PM

Angel: Don't you guys have like an Italian Wesley here?

I thought it was a great episode. Lots of laughs.
Old 05-05-04, 10:33 PM

This ep fealt like filler which considering only 2 episodes left was definitely a let down. Having this centered around Buffy was pointless and the Angel n Spike adventure felt like something more suited for an episode earlier this season. It wasn't "bad" just felt out of place especially when it looks like Angel is going back to a season 2/3 darker attitude.
Old 05-05-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a light and funny episode. Stuff about Buffy falling for another vampire is pretty funny.

Wonder if Wes will be able to accept the 'new' Fred.
Old 05-05-04, 10:48 PM

It did nothing for me... it was enjoyable as a throwaway episode, but this close to the end of the show (or the season) that is intolerable. I didn't really see any character development at all, nothing that took place during the Angel/Spike storyline matters, although i did enjoy the illiria segments. Although, was it just me or was she not the same as she used to be... I guess losing most of her powers was a little hard to handle, but her dialog just didnt seem the same to me.
Old 05-05-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me among those greatly disappointed in this episode. Having read the previews, I was anticipating finally getting to see a little bit of what happened to the Scooby's after BTVS, even if the only actual cast member appearing was Andrew. I also was greatly looking forward to another Dru/Darla plotline.

This episode was utterly worthless on both fronts. First of all, what the bloody hell was the point of never showing this Immortal? For playing such a central role in the episode, and not being a cast member they couldn't get to appear, I was anticipating a conclusion to the feud that they bothered to create in this episode. Instead, this episode resolves absolutely nothing and actually opens more plots/questions then we had before. Do Fred's parents ever find out? What happens with Buffy? Where were the rest of the Scoobys? Who is this Immortal? Is he even a bad guy? What was the point of creating this character in the second to last episode?

And the ridiculous lack of Darla/Dru in this episode really gets me. Second to last episode, first episode with Darla/Dru together in a while, and THAT was all we got? Say what? That's a fine use of Juliet Landau and Julie Benz if they were regulars on the show, but using them in that manner when they've only appeared in this season a couple of times?

Here's a nutty idea: With three episodes to go, and the ability of getting Juliet Landau to appear in the episode, how about resolving Drusilla's storyline instead of an utterly worthless scene that took place centuries ago? Whatever, it's over and done with. Just seems like this episode was written with a total disregard for it's placement in the season. Except for the whole Fred bit and Spike not being a ghost, this episode could have taken place 8 months ago, and not had the slightest effect on any future episode. This was an average episode of Angel if it were just a random episode. It isn't, and this was a major disappointment.
Old 05-05-04, 11:29 PM

"I've been reading stuff online. People respond two different ways, and its always annoyed me. One is they respond to the stand alones as if they were filler, as if we're biding time, versus the big arc-y/myth stuff. That just annoys the hell out of me. They're like apples and oranges. You can like one better than the other, but when people treat the stand-alones as less than the arc-y shows it really annoys me." - Jeffrey Bell
Old 05-05-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well said coladar. I don't consider it a complete waste, because as a stand-alone, comedy episode it was quite good. But the wasted potential on so many fronts made it disappointing.

To be more postive I will give kudos to a very funny scene nobody has mentioned yet. The part where Angel and Spike recall the end of season 2 and Angel says he signaled Buffy to kill him "with his eyes" and later Spike says "I helped, so that should count for me."
Old 05-05-04, 11:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was good.

The moped chase was hilarious

I couldn have done without the Buffy stuff and I agree it was a weak use of the guest stars.

I didn't mind not getting to see the immortal. I think he's meant to be this bigger then life character from Spike and Angels stories and introducing him would have taken away from that.

I imagine the next 2 episodes are going to be depressing as hell so they probably needed to lighten things up.
Old 05-05-04, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Kaervak
This episode wasn't that bad, but it sure didn't belong in the "Last 5 of the series". A little earlier would have been better.
Well, I'm sure Joss did not expect the asses at WB to pull the show just like that. This would not have been "the last five of the series". You know who you can thank.
Old 05-06-04, 12:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
To be more postive I will give kudos to a very funny scene nobody has mentioned yet. The part where Angel and Spike recall the end of season 2 and Angel says he signaled Buffy to kill him "with his eyes" and later Spike says "I helped, so that should count for me."
One of the greatest lines this season.
Old 05-06-04, 12:05 AM

angel is way too chubby now. it's distracting. like how when angel and spike were hanging there in the flashback and angel had to have a shirt on because he was all flabby. and how his face is all wide.

he was like this last season too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.