Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Triplets of Belleville original language?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I was considering picking up the DVD today, but then noticed the English and Spansih only languages on the disc. However, according to IMDB.com, Triplets is listed as being in French.

Now, I heard there was little dialogue overall, but I have a particular softspot for French, so I would prefer to have the film in its original language.

I guess my question is, is the R1 release dubbed in English, including the DVD release?
Old 05-04-04, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with the exception of the english sung song, there is practicly no dialouge at all. Maybe 5-7 short lines in the entire film.
Old 05-05-04, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what's interesting is that the film's title card is the UK's alternate film title: Belleville Rendez-vous, which might suggest that the film was dubbed for the English language-international markets. I have yet to purchase 'Triplets' on DVD, but I would be curious to see if there is any mention if the original French release of the film, retains it's original on-screen title: "Triplettes de Belleville"
Old 05-05-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also i heard that the dvd is cropped, since it was released in either 1:33;1 (full frame) or 1:66;1, since it says at the begining of the movie "this movie has been modified..."
Old 05-06-04, 12:46 AM

i am watching this dvd as i type, and have seen no subtitles other than during the opening credits for the title card...yet there has been some french language spoken, even though i have the audio set to english...anyone know what gives here? it is frustrating hearing words, and not knowing what they mean, even if it is not "dialogue"
Old 05-06-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think that might be intentional. kind of like in some forgein language movies, not every single phrase is subtitled.
Old 05-06-04, 03:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but in the US theatrical cut of the film there was little bits of English from the main characters.
Old 05-09-04, 09:28 AM

For the small amounts of words that are spoken in the movie, it doesn't even matter that there are not any subtitiles. Not understanding what was said in French really did not affect my overall appreciation and understanding of the moive at all.