Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Shield, 5/4 and official announcement that there will be a Season 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
The Shield, 5/4 and official announcement that there will be a Season 4

Since a new episode airs tonight, I figure we can discuss that and the good news from F/X about the renewal.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...925|1|,00.html

FX Raises 'Shield' for Another Season
(Monday, May 03 04:46 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "The Shield" will be back for a fourth season on FX, when it will set a longevity record for the cable network.

FX announced Monday (May 3) that it was picking up the intense cop show, its flagship series, for a fourth season of 15 episodes. The pickup marks the first time an original series has lasted into a fourth season on the 10-year-old network.

The fourth season will debut early next year.

"We couldn't be more proud of [creator] Shawn Ryan, [exec producer] Scott Brazil, [star] Michael Chiklis and the entire team who make 'The Shield' one of the best dramas on television," says John Landgraf, president of entertainment at FX.
Former "Angel" writer-producer Ryan is also understandably excited about the show's return.

"Since the beginning, it's been a dream working for FX," Ryan says. "Now it looks like we won't have to wake up for at least another year. "We're thrilled to be back."

Ratings for the series, which centers on morally ambiguous L.A. cop Vic Mackey (Chiklis), have dipped some in its third season. It's averaging about 2.7 million viewers a week thus far, compared with 3.3 million in its first two seasons. That's still a solid number for a basic-cable series, and about two-thirds of the audience falls into the desirable adults 18-49 demographic.

Chiklis won an Emmy for his portrayal of Mackey in 2002 -- a first for a basic-cable series -- and was nominated again last year. Ryan and Clark Johnson also earned Emmy nods in 2002 for writing and directing the show's pilot episode.

Old 05-04-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Most excellent. I admit I do not think this season is nearly as strong as S1 and S2, but it's picking up steam. Looking forward to seeing the ramifications of S3 in S4. Disappointed about the long wait time, but FX is supposed to debut two new dramas this year, so after Nip/Tuck (IMHO, F/X's BEST show) and those two it will be just about time.
Old 05-04-04, 11:17 AM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great news. Glad to hear that one of my favorite shows will be on the air for yet another year.
Old 05-04-04, 11:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 05-04-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell Yeah
Old 05-04-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AWESOME! i'm definately not ready for this show to end
Old 05-04-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool on the renewal not so cool that ratings are down.
Old 05-04-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I still think this show would be an absolute phenemonon if it was moved to Showtime or HBO
Old 05-04-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
I still think this show would be an absolute phenemonon if it was moved to Showtime or HBO
I don't necessarily agree. FX is creating alot of buzz with it's original programming and "push the envelope" nature of its original series. Put another quality drama in the mix and I think it's right up there in terms of original programming.
Old 05-04-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez

I think it would get a lot more publicity if it was on HBO (not Showtime). I really don't care about publicity though. As long as they keep turning out quality episodes, I couldn't care less what network it is on.
Old 05-04-04, 06:53 PM

I agree with RD who cares about what network the show is on as long as the writing is great. it really sucks that ratings are down this year I guess people perfer to watch some reality television or some other crap too bad this show hardly gets advertised on other Fox TV stations if the ratings continue to slide I fear the TV executives might force Shawn Ryan to make changes that he doesn't want to make. btw RD nice quote from Michael Wilbon.
Old 05-04-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DJ_Spyder
I agree with RD who cares about what network the show is on as long as the writing is great.

if the ratings continue to slide I fear the TV executives might force Shawn Ryan to make changes that he doesn't want to make.
A lot of other networks would have never even put the show on. On would have pulled it when all the sponsors ditched back in Season 1. I commend FX for their ballsy television style. And hope they continue with this trend.

All though I am still a little pissed about LUCKY not getting renewed...
Old 05-04-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

GREAT F//KING EPISODE!!! This has been one hell of a solid season of television!
Old 05-04-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pretty good episode..I hate Shane's gf more and more every week
Old 05-04-04, 11:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Another solid episode.

I was expecting them to string out the strike team/decoy squad working against Claudette story

Acevada's wife"They made you....SUCK!"

Should be interesting what they do with Shane's gf. I imagine when Vic finds out it won't be pretty.

Can't wait for next week
Old 05-05-04, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by MrX
Acevada's wife "They made you....SUCK!"
tee hee...

I'm kinda sorry to see the Decoy Squad go though... there could have been much more story lines in there...
but at least the STRIKE TEAM is back in BUZINESS...

Let me join in the bandwagon in saying.
This friggin show ROCKS!

now on with the SHANE GF/FIANCE HATE.
Old 05-05-04, 03:48 AM

Yeah I'm sorry to see the decoy squad go too it was great to see how Vic was able to turn the circumstances to his advantage I was wrong about Shane taking the 7K since it was his GF who took the money and gave it to her mother it's only a matter of time before treasury traces it back to Shane and the strike team and when Vic finds out the Shite will no doubt hit the fan. I'm still mad there is no word on Tavon though what is up with that? Acevada finally told his wife about his ahem violation unfortuately she didn't take it very well next week will only get better.
Spoiler:
it appears that Acevada takes out one of the persons who held him at gunpoint then finds the second suspect and tells him to get on his knees maybe to tell him to return the favor?
Old 05-05-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acevada's wife being a little less than sensitive about his situation? Shane's girlfriend going through his stuff and stealing money from him? Vic's wife's new boyfriend not wanting her to go to the police?

Worst. Significant. Others. Ever.

This wasn't my favorite ep this season, but it was still good. I really wish the decoy squad could stick around. They were really fun and like someone else said, there are a lot more stories to be told with them. Hopefully they'll come back in some form or...SPINOFF! I think it could work. They had good chemistry. At least the leader and the main chick anyways (sorry I suck at names).

I cannot wait for next week.
Old 05-05-04, 08:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I noticed that Michael Chiklis directed tonight's episode.
Old 05-05-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by boredsilly
Acevada's wife being a little less than sensitive about his situation? Shane's girlfriend going through his stuff and stealing money from him? Vic's wife's new boyfriend not wanting her to go to the police?

Worst. Significant. Others. Ever.

I had the same reaction to this episode.

Mrs. Aceveda - way to be supportive. NOT!

Shane's ball & chain - what did he ever see in her? She is not attractive. She is needy and whiney. Why would he even get involved in a relationship with the money train payout coming? Now she is a stealing from him? She actually thought the money was somehow legit? Can someone actually be that stupid?

Vic's wife's new BF - what a pu$$y.
Old 05-05-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Aceveda's wife is UNBELIEVEABLE.
--"You need to be honest with me, baby. I can tell something's bothering you (besides me showing up at your job every 15 minutes)."
--"OK, here's what I did. But they held a gun to my head and would have killed me. I wanted to see you and the baby again, my love."
--"You didn't do it, did you?"
--"As I said, it was that or die."
--"I'm going to need some time to think about this, and will now walk out on you at your most humiliating moment."

Sheesh.
Old 05-05-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Michael Chiklis wrote this episode, and you could tell he loved giving Vic his balls back. But for some reason, I didn't like the writing/dialogue as much, it just seems less snappy, more awkward to my ear.

Michelle, Michelle, how we the viewers hate thee, and even more.

You had to feel for Acevada for having such a pushy wife and then he caves in to her pleadins, and *she's* the one now with the problem. Nice! Ugh.

Claudette's taste of power just got sour.

Buh-bye Decoy Squad, we hardly recognized ya.
Old 05-05-04, 08:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Michael Chiklis wrote this episode, and you could tell he loved giving Vic his balls back.
Director only. Kurt Sutter (aka "Jesus") wrote the episode.
Old 05-05-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another great episode this week. I was a little disappointed in the early going, but with the decoy squad gone, and Vic back in the saddle, it's going to be quite ride for the rest of the season.

Whoever said that about Shane's G/F being the one who took the $$ last week, nice call.

I think that Vic will find out the truth of Aceveda's motives, but will erase the image and not hold it over him, just let him that he knows.
Old 05-05-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely glad this show will be back for a fourth season. It is one of my favorite shows on Television.

I can't believe the reaction of Acevada's wife. Sure, it would be normal to be a little grossed out, but I don't think she had an ounce of sensitivity for him. Maybe she hates doing it herself, so she doesn't even want to think about him doing it.

I'm actually glad the decoy squad is gone. Yeah, there could have been a lot more storylines with them, but IMO they were starting to overshadow the strike team. It would be stupid to change the spotlight of this show now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.