Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Version of 'The Office' a Let-down

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Version of 'The Office' a Let-down

Just another great coming of BBC to America!

From IMDB:
The American version of the Golden Globe-winning British comedy hit The Office has hit a major snag - an early screening of the show proved a painful experience for TV chiefs. Preview audiences greeted the American show with an icy silence after the pilot episode was screened at a 'testing facility' in Hollywood. One reviewer explains, "I don't think many of the test group I sat with was as familiar with the original British series as I was. Still, it was painfully clear that nobody was liking it. The lady next to me said she found it depressing." In the American version, funnyman Steve Carrell steps into Ricky Gervais' shoes as the boss of the office. But the reviewer believes Carrell's take on the role doesn't compare to the original character: "The acting lacks masterful underplaying of Gervais and company. A guy tries to fill Ricky's shoes and can't."
Old 05-03-04, 03:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Carrell needs to get his ass back to "The Daily Show."
Old 05-03-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I just ordered S1 & S2 of The Office - blind buy based on all the great word of mouth. Did the same with Coupling last year and loved it.

Frankly, considering how bad Coupling-US was, this news is not shocking in the least.
Old 05-03-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why the hell are they remaking a show (spoken in English) that is only a year or two old?

If the networks think that people are too stupid to enjoy the original show, what makes them want to remake it in the first place? Just makes no damn sense...
Old 05-03-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$$

That is why
Old 05-03-04, 03:15 PM

To be fair, most people have the same reaction to the original program when I try to show it to them. The jokes aren't obvious, and it sometimes takes a while to see where the show is going...especially for the novice viewer.
Old 05-03-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by teddydogg
$$

That is why
But that's what I'm saying... what makes them think this will make $$$?

Coupling-U.S. bombed. This one is apparently equally unwatchable. No money is getting made.

Why remake something that you think is 'beyond' your audience to begin with? The fans of the BBC show won't like it; and anyone who isn't a fan doesn't want to see it in the first place.
Old 05-03-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by teddydogg
$$

That is why

That and there were so few episodes made when you consider just 1 season of an American series averages 22 episodes.
Old 05-03-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
To be fair, most people have the same reaction to the original program when I try to show it to them. The jokes aren't obvious, and it sometimes takes a while to see where the show is going...especially for the novice viewer.
It took me more than one episode to get into it...I didn't care for the first episode much, but after two or three shows in, I began to love it. But there's no way this show would be a hit with an American audience - it requires too much attention.
Old 05-03-04, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
But there's no way this show would be a hit with an American audience - it requires too much attention.
Yep. See Development, Arrested.
Old 05-03-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it depends on who you ask. The latest edition of TVGuide has this to say:

When the news broke that NBC was making an American version of BBC's hit faux reality show The Office, industry types predicted the quirky comedy would be ruined by Hollywood. But a sneak peek at the pilot episode proves this isn't the case. Character names have been changed and pop-culture references Americanized, but executive producers stayed true to the bleak atmosphere and uncomfortable moments that make the original series so hilariously unique.
It goes on to say Gervais is very flattered with the version and is happy with Carell.

I'll be watching and judging for myself, as with all things.....
Old 05-03-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I was so disappointed when I tried showing The Office to some other family members. I showed them the bit with the
Spoiler:
stapler in the jelly
but I got pretty much no reaction.
Old 05-03-04, 05:05 PM

I think Arressted Devolpment is a pretty good take of office life American style.
Have you guys seen the BK ad campaign? I swear that thing is straight up ripping off the office.
Old 05-03-04, 05:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Plus it has no laugh track, that's the kiss of death for most network comedies in this country.
Old 05-03-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
I was so disappointed when I tried showing The Office to some other family members. I showed them the bit with the
Spoiler:
stapler in the jelly
but I got pretty much no reaction.

That part always kills me.
Old 05-03-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bboisvert
Coupling-U.S. bombed. This one is apparently equally unwatchable. No money is getting made.
This upsets me. I enjoyed the US version of Coupling. I think it didn't due to well in America because audiences that have never seen the original felt it was a rip-off of Friends and those that had seen the original are too snobbish to admit that anything American produces may be half decent.
Old 05-03-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sad truth is that the original version of the office wouldn't even be able to complete it's small run on a major network. The humor wouldn't be well recived at all by most american viewers. The us remake doesn't stand a chance
Old 05-03-04, 07:17 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it's ridiculous to try and remake classic English comedy for the US market

there is no way that the new actors can ever compete with the original actors

In this day and age of the internet, it's just not possible to 'con' the audience into thinking it's a whole new original show like it was in the 70s and 80s
Old 05-03-04, 07:32 PM

I saw the Office on Showcase about a month ago when they were showing a sneek peek. I didn't get it or find it really funny. I liked the show but I didn't find it very funny.

I did however find the clip they showed at the Golden Globes really funny. That is was made me want to watch The Office in the first place.

And Arrested Developmewnt is one of the funniest shows ever.
Old 05-04-04, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Original Desmond
I think it's ridiculous to try and remake classic English comedy for the US market

there is no way that the new actors can ever compete with the original actors
I agree. The original was fantastic, and should not have been touched. I understand some americans may not know where Slough is, or understand all the jokes, but just watch the show for a few weeks and it will make sense. It is in English!!! No reason at all to change it for the US market. I brought season 1 back to the states with me and showed it to my brother. He thought it was great!
Old 05-04-04, 09:23 AM
Banned

I've actually seen a snippet of the American version of The Office. The impov is a little forced. In the snippet I saw Steve Carrell was scolding The Office about those charity candy jars in which you put a quarter in and take a peppermint patty. Apparently people were taking pepperment patties without putting change in and the woman came to collect the money (who was atttractive) he tried to look like a powerful figure to her. But in the next scene he was sitting behing his desk eating a peppermint. Although I like Carrell I don't think he was the best choice to fill Gervais' shoes.
Old 05-04-04, 11:09 AM

Steve Carrell may be funny, this role isn't for him.
He's not subtle enough, and that's what made Gervais so great.

Quite silly to try and make an american version of this show IMO.

Reminds me of the epi when Gervais forces the new folk to join him for a few pints, and then gets pissed off and storms off when they won't laugh at him!!

No need to mess with a good thing here, besides, it seems like The Office has a cult, niche following, unlike what NBC or whoever would be looking for.
Old 05-04-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You think executives would have learned their lesson from Coupling. Terrible idea to remake a show like this.
Old 05-04-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shawagg
Have you guys seen the BK ad campaign? I swear that thing is straight up ripping off the office.
I stated same in the Christmas Episode(s) thread. Most Americans will tune out when they realize it isn't "Office Space", and most of the rest will wonder why there is a show based on the BK commercials.

Dumb Americans.
Old 05-04-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by EvilConradBain
I've actually seen a snippet of the American version of The Office. The impov is a little forced...
The British one isn't improvised at all - it is completely scripted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.