Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How many of you get the advanced screening ticket?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Just out of curiosity - how many of you fine people here at DVD Talk get to see new films before they are released? I'm curious because I have seen some threads with reviews before the official release of a movie.

Also, do any of you have your own site where you post these reviews? or do you stick strictly to DVD Talk? Once again, I think it pretty cool that people get to see new movies before their release and I'm interested in knowing how many of you are lucky enough to be involved.
Old 05-02-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Public sneak previews, critics screenings, promotional screenings done by radio/news stations, etc.
Old 05-02-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't have any site to review. I don't think I would have many readers considering my terrible spelling and piss poor grammar.

My suggestion. Look around campus hang outs. People love to pass around free screening passes. Look in your local weekly papers.

For example. This weeks L.A. Weekly had an offer for Raising Helen. All you had to do was visit some store.

Campus Circle offers screenings. this week they have:
http://campuscircle.net/vanhelsing/

http://campuscircle.net/mexican/

and here is one that folks outside of L.A. can had a shot at:

http://campuscircle.net/napoleondynamite/
Old 05-03-04, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go to one of the biggest college campuses in the US so we have screenings weekly or biweekly because we are usually the demographic the studios are looking for. I've probably seen about 50 or 60 movies early because of this. Besides half the movies are targeted towards college kids. Last week I saw Mean Girls this week they are doing a screening of Breaking All The Rules and Van Helsing, I also read they are doing Raising Helen in the bulletin. I've seen some good movies like Old School, Eurotrip, Catch Me If You Can, 13 Going on 30, School of Rock, Pieces of April, The Hot Chick, etc. Some were bad and I left early. I think the Jessica Alban dance movie was the last one i got bored of. After the movie people with clipboards ask you what you think and if you would recommend it to a friend. The trick to the screenings is you have to show up like and hour early to get in though which is what I think I'll have to do for Van Helsing. Once I forgot my student ID though and they wouldn't let me in. I didn't care though it was for Butterfly Effect and everyone who saw it told me it sucked anyway. A lot of times they give out free stuff too. The coolest thing I ever got was a Daredevil soundtrack though.
Old 05-03-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It depends on which type of screening you go to.

If you watch a film months before it's release it's a test screening and like ECB said, they make you fill out a chart so they can make changes to the film if need be. See below at this Dawn of the Dead paper work:

While others shown a few weeks to a day before release are simply shown to get the word out on it and create some buzz for it.

the give aways are just promos to help you get the word out. It's all part of the business.
Old 05-03-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Every single large studio movie I want to see as a preview/press screening/studio screening I go to see. Alot of the time though, it isn't worth to go see it (even if it is technically free). In terms of arthouse films and smaller released films, it varies.
Old 05-03-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally posted by EvilConradBain
I go to one of the biggest college campuses in the US so we have screenings weekly or biweekly because we are usually the demographic the studios are looking for. I've probably seen about 50 or 60 movies early because of this. Besides half the movies are targeted towards college kids. Last week I saw Mean Girls this week they are doing a screening of Breaking All The Rules and Van Helsing, I also read they are doing Raising Helen in the bulletin. I've seen some good movies like Old School, Eurotrip, Catch Me If You Can, 13 Going on 30, School of Rock, Pieces of April, The Hot Chick, etc. Some were bad and I left early. I think the Jessica Alban dance movie was the last one i got bored of. After the movie people with clipboards ask you what you think and if you would recommend it to a friend. The trick to the screenings is you have to show up like and hour early to get in though which is what I think I'll have to do for Van Helsing. Once I forgot my student ID though and they wouldn't let me in. I didn't care though it was for Butterfly Effect and everyone who saw it told me it sucked anyway. A lot of times they give out free stuff too. The coolest thing I ever got was a Daredevil soundtrack though.
That's cool - it's just too bad I live in the sticks (Niagara Falls) I don't get a chance to do any of these things - Chris Rock kees coming to Buffalo though.

Hey Jack - I actually Sent you an e-mail not too long ago about your DOD reveiw here at DVD Talk - I saw the survey/review chart, but I hope they don't always use that as a tool to make adjustments to films before their official release.