Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about hooking stand alone Tivo to sat receiver...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I just moved, so I finally got to get DirecTV, so I'm stoked.

I got a DirecTivo for my main room, but I have an older standalone Tivo that I've had.

I've got the stand alone Tivo hooked up to the sat receiver in my bedroom. My question is this. I am getting both the Tivo menus and the Directv menus popping up, one right up after the other. Is there any way to turn off the menu system from the Directv completely?

I prefer the Tivo menus by far, so if there's a way to do this, I'd love to know!

BTW, the reciever I have is a Hughes one.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

anybody?
Old 05-03-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not just sell the standalone Tivo for $$$ on ebay? If you have a lifetime sub, you'll get major bucks for it. And if you are going month to month on it, you can save $12.95/month by getting a second DTivo. (Your 2nd Dtivo won't cost you anything other than mirror fees, which you are already paying for the 'regular' Hughes receiver. The $4.95 DVR fee covers any number of DTivos, and you are already paying it for the first one).

You would likely be stunned how much $$ you can clear by getting rid of that old standalone. Should be able to get a 2nd DTivo for $99, existing customers included.
Old 05-03-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by djbrown
Why not just sell the standalone Tivo for $$$ on ebay? If you have a lifetime sub, you'll get major bucks for it. And if you are going month to month on it, you can save $12.95/month by getting a second DTivo. (Your 2nd Dtivo won't cost you anything other than mirror fees, which you are already paying for the 'regular' Hughes receiver. The $4.95 DVR fee covers any number of DTivos, and you are already paying it for the first one).

You would likely be stunned how much $$ you can clear by getting rid of that old standalone. Should be able to get a 2nd DTivo for $99, existing customers included.
It is a standalone with a lifetime subscription. I have thought about selling it, but honestly it's nice having it, even if I don't use it that much.

What are series 1 tivos going for with lifetime subscriptions now? You figure since a lifetime sub is about $300, I should be able to get at least $250 for it.
Old 05-03-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could also try to ask the good folks at www.tivocommunity.com. They seem to know everything. Unlike us scuzzbags.
Old 05-03-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
You could also try to ask the good folks at www.tivocommunity.com. They seem to know everything. Unlike us scuzzbags.
You aren't a scuzzbag. You are just worthless. There's a difference.
Old 05-04-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
It is a standalone with a lifetime subscription. I have thought about selling it, but honestly it's nice having it, even if I don't use it that much.

What are series 1 tivos going for with lifetime subscriptions now? You figure since a lifetime sub is about $300, I should be able to get at least $250 for it.
It'll depend on what model/hours config your standalone is, but they can sell in excess of $400.

But, really, why keep it if you can cover the cost of a new Series2 DTivo ($99) by selling the standalone? You'll get two tuners, better recording quality, more recording time, an integrated PVR, and it's of NO additional cost per month than you are already paying.

It's a $99 one-time cost for a far superior product. And you'll end up making at least $200 on the deal in the end by selling the standalone.
Old 05-04-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
You aren't a scuzzbag. You are just worthless. There's a difference.
Sweeeeet!