Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Post textboxs very narrow in Firefox

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason the textbox (like the one I am typing this message into) is only 40 columns wide, where as under IE it is 70 colums wide. I checked the page source and it is not a rendering problem, for Firefox you get:
Code:
[td][textarea name="message" rows="20" cols="40" wrap="virtual" tabindex="2"]...
but IE gets:
Code:
[td][textarea name="message" rows="20" cols="70" wrap="virtual" tabindex="2"]...
for the same page. (I replaced the <>'s with []'s so it doesn't mess up the page.)

Edit to say: I also had this problem under Firebird. I searched and found a post about pages not displaying correctly in Mozilla, but it was 2 years old and assumed it was a rendering error.

Last edited by wmansir; 05-01-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-01-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted about this a long time ago. Basically, the gist of that thread was that everyone uses IE and Geoff was too busy to fix it for those few of us that don't.

The problem stems from the fact that vbulletin is assuming that FireFox and any other Gecko based browser is like Navigator 4.7. So it's serving up special code for the textarea that works well for Navigator 4.7 but is ridiculously narrow on any modern browser.

As a Mozilla user, I've found that a workaround is to use Prefbar to spoof your user-agent. Go to mozdev.org, install prefbar. It's actually quite a handy little tool. It'll tell servers that you're running XP/IE6 even when you're running 2K/Mozilla like I am.

Doing so sort of sucks in that it continues to perpetuate the assumption that IE is the dominant browser, but it does cut down on these types of incompatiblities.
Old 05-01-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 05-01-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by belboz
Doing so sort of sucks in that it continues to perpetuate the assumption that IE is the dominant browser...
From this site:

<table width=400 border=1><tr><tdwidth="20%"><td><b>2004</b></td><td><b>IE6</b></td><td><b>IE5</b></td><td><b>O7</b></td><td><b>Moz</b></td><td><b>NN3</b></td><td><b>NN4</b></td><td><b>NN7</b></td></tr><tr><td>April</td><td>72.4%</td><td>10.4%</td><td>2.1%</td><td>10.1%</td><td>0.3%</td><td>0.3%</td><td>1.4%</td></tr><tr><td>March</td><td>72.1%</td><td>10.7%</td><td>2.1%</td><td>9.6%</td><td>0.4%</td><td>0.4%</td><td>1.4%</td></tr><tr><td>February</td><td>71.5%</td><td>11.5%</td><td>2.2%</td><td>9.0%</td><td>0.4%</td><td>0.4%</td><td>1.5%</td></tr><tr><td>January</td><td>71.3%</td><td>12.8%</td><td>2.1%</td><td>8.2%</td><td>0.4%</td><td>0.5%</td><td>1.5%</td></tr></table>
Old 05-02-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it looks like 10% of us are just screwed...the small text box really does piss me off at times. I'm going to look into that prefbar.
Old 05-02-04, 01:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by NCMojo
From this site:
I say 75% of those reported as IE6 are really Mozilla users spoofing IE6. Prove me wrong.

The narrow text box looks odd, but doesn't really bother me. I loves me some Firefox.
Old 05-02-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

prefbar fixes the problem, it causes smaller problems with the build I'm using. First, the "Customize" button doesn't work, so I can't customize the bar, not that I really want it anyway. However, I can set the browser ID and then disable the prefbar extension and the setting sticks.

However, if I set my browser to ID as IE6, when I start FireFox JavaVM pops up an error box saying I shouldn't use the navigator version of Java with IE. But Java still works, so it's more annoying than anything.

Last edited by wmansir; 05-02-04 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-02-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, what works better for me is the User Agent Widget

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#uawidget

It adds a new button (actually dropdown box) to change your browser ID, that you can place where you want. So you don't need the overhead of prefbar if that is all the functionality you want.

The only problem is it is quite large, about twice the size of the search box. Personally, I have plenty of room, so I don't mind. And it's a heck of a lot smaller than a whole toolbar.

EDIT: Of course the java error message still occurs if I don't change the ID back before closing.

Last edited by wmansir; 05-02-04 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's actually a very simple setting in the vBulletin options, which i pointed out in a recent Firefox thread over in Tech Talk.
Old 05-03-04, 08:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you don't think the vast majority of web browsers surfing the net are IE, you're more deluded than the voters for "American Idol."
Old 05-03-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
If you don't think the vast majority of web browsers surfing the net are IE, you're more deluded than the voters for "American Idol."
Old 05-03-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
<marquee></marquee>
Old 05-03-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
If you think that IE offers the best browsing experience, you're more deluded than the voters for "American Idol." But let's not make this a "which browser is better" thread.

Stats show that at least 10% of surfers are using Firefox, and to ignore them is ridiculous. Granted, 75% of IE users are not spoofing IE, but I'm sure there's a good number of them that are, thus raising that 10% a bit more.

I wonder if Geoff's stats can tell us what percentage of page views are being viewed under Firefox, et al.
Old 05-04-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Blake
If you think that IE offers the best browsing experience, you're more deluded than the voters for "American Idol."
Old 05-04-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Another problem that I sometimes get when I use Firefox is that the "Forum Jump" drop down boxes (both the one at the top and the bottom) sometimes do not work. I can drop down and choose a different forum, but I won't get directed to that forum. The drop down box at the bottom has a "go" button so I can click on that and it'll work, but I'm shit out of luck with the drop down box at the top.

This only happens sometimes. Like once per 30 minutes.
Old 05-04-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Hey, get your own webspace to host pics

j/k
Old 05-08-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Phuzbox
Hey, get your own webspace to host pics

j/k
What can I say, when I see something I like, I take it. I'm a criminal, there's no reasoning with me .