Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have MX-500 and Philips 727 and got it to learn functions??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-30-04, 07:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Anyone get the MX-500 to work all functions for the Philips 727? I was able to use the code function and got some functions working, but obviously they are programmed to keys where I have to read the manual to know and it is not all functions in which I even use. That said...

Anyone get it to learn Philip functions easily? The only way I have got it to work is to program one function of Philips to 2 buttons on MX-500!, which is just horrible. When learning I also pressed the Philips remote (for whatever function) twice and programmed that, but that would switch for instance on and then off quickly with one MX key press.

So I guess with the party bits you can't program one function on Philips to 1 button on MX? There has got to be a way that I can just use learning function. I don't have pc hookup or anything like that.
If anyone can help, please...I would appreciate it so much!!
Old 04-30-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in the same boat. I could get neither my Pronto nor my MX-500 to learn some of my Philips tv functions. Power was the worst... I read somewhere that Philips uses some weird system for their power buttons. I wish I had a solution for you.
Old 04-30-04, 08:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Yeah..they use these party bits which will send one code the first time a function is pressed and then a slightly different the second time so learning to a MX is virtually impossible because when you learn it will for example turn 727 on, but not off again because by then another code is used for off or something like that...dammit!
Pooping In The Woods
Old 04-30-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if that first post is even in English (I tried reading it a few times!) but...

I have an MX-500. Mine didn't come with any party bits. *sigh*

But the best way to program these is not necessarily by nstraight learning. Better to get (or borrow) a cheap one-for-all remote and program custom codes in, where available. Then use the discrete codes (like 727 on, or 727 off) and store them in a separate bank (I use 'SYS'). With discrete on/off codes for all your devices, you can then set up handy macros for each function, incl. an "all off" macro to turn everything off.

See remotecentral's forums for more tips and discrete codes....