Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What movies make you cry?

modfather
04-30-04, 01:47 PM
Ok, I just watched Big Fish a couple of nights ago. I got more than a bit misty-eyed and my wife (who rarely cries during movies) was crying rivers. So I figured, everyone needs to 'fess up. What movies make you get misty or downright cry?

For me:
Big Fish
A River Runs Through It
Sense & Sensibility (at the end - when main character starts crying hysterically)
E.T. (I took a girl on a date to this movie when it was first released - man did I look like a wimp!)
Platoon

sataniko
04-30-04, 02:51 PM
Anything by Steven Seagal

Njl
04-30-04, 03:10 PM
Dersu Uzala
Grave of the Fireflies
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Shannon Nutt
04-30-04, 03:18 PM
Movies that I cried in the theater (that I can remember):

Star Trek II
E.T.
My Life
Forrest Gump
Somewhere In Time
The Iron Giant (we're talking Niagara Falls, baby...what a great movie!)

Surprisingly, movies that DIDN'T make me cry:

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Titanic

bigsoos
04-30-04, 03:18 PM
Saving Private Ryan

damn old guy crying gets to me every time.

Kennyx
04-30-04, 03:22 PM
Braveheart
Legends of the Fall

soxfandoug
04-30-04, 03:23 PM
I can honestly say that I have never cried at a movie. However, there is one movie that always brings me close. For this, I am always ridiculed, because this isn't your typical tear inducing movie. I always feel like crying when I watch...

Best of the Best - During the final round of the competition, when Eric Roberts reinjures his shoulder, he is screaming out in agony "Pop it, pop it!!!". For some reason, I always get a lump in my throat. I have always been an athlete, and I guess that is why it resonates with me. It gets me every time!

Doug

EvilConradBain
04-30-04, 03:27 PM
Glory
Lost In Translation
Toy Story 2 (seriously)
Almost Famous
Philadelphia
Roman Holiday
Edward Scissorhands

FantasticVSDoom
04-30-04, 03:33 PM
My Dog Skip, its because I have 2 Jack Russells, and it gets me everytime. Also a documentary called Shelter Dogs is the most depressing thing I have ever watched. I dont know why, but for some reason, human suffering and sadness in movies doesnt really choke me up, but put a dog in there and I cry like a little girl.

PixyJunket
04-30-04, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by EvilConradBain
Toy Story 2 (seriously)The "Jessie's Song" scene is not to be taken lightly my friend.

drjay
04-30-04, 03:45 PM
Braveheart, Big Fish

marty888
04-30-04, 03:58 PM
<b>FIELD OF DREAMS</b>
<b>RUDY</b>

Groucho
04-30-04, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by PixyJunket
The "Jessie's Song" scene is not to be taken lightly my friend. That scene even makes my 2-year old cry.

fryinpan1
04-30-04, 04:02 PM
Legends of the Fall
White Fang

cheapskate
04-30-04, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by soxfandoug
I always feel like crying when I watch...

Best of the Best - During the final round of the competition, when Eric Roberts reinjures his shoulder, he is screaming out in agony "Pop it, pop it!!!". For some reason, I always get a lump in my throat. I have always been an athlete, and I guess that is why it resonates with me. It gets me every time!

:lol:

Most recently, I found "Finding Nemo" to be a difficult experience. All of those Pixar films, especially Toy Story 2 and parts of Monsters Inc have that effect...

modfather
04-30-04, 04:13 PM
Have to chime in with "Rudy" as well. What a great movie...

...now I'm getting all veklempt...

talemyn
04-30-04, 04:23 PM
It took me a little while, but I new I had seen this somewhere before . . .

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=355480

FreshOne
04-30-04, 04:42 PM
Chasing Amy
Jersey Girl
The Killer
Crouching Tiger
City of Angles
Good Will Hunting
Annie Hall
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Ghost World
Real Women Have Curves
The Elephant Man
Cries and Whispers
Juliet of the Spirits
Jason's Lyric
The Shawshank Redemption
Bed and Board
Kill Bill vol 2

...and even once, Episode II, Anakin bustin up those sand people for killing his mom struck a cord for me the last time I saw it.

That became quite a list, some of those are 'almost cried'. I just ran down my collection to try to remember some.

QuiGonJosh
04-30-04, 06:29 PM
I just watched 2 DVDs this mornin that put me in tears...Last Samurai...and Peter Pan...I am such a woman...

Rivero
04-30-04, 06:31 PM
I cried at Titanic......

.......for my $7.75

That movie would've been better if it had a really big squid.

outcastja
04-30-04, 06:34 PM
Magnolia
Grave of the Fireflies
Almost Famous
Ghost World
Shawshank Redemption

nemein
04-30-04, 06:48 PM
Can only think of two off hand & can't say I've really cried but I get "flustered" ;)

any good movie w/ the crucifixion of Christ (thinking more about the actual event itself than what's on the screen)

The scene in Immortal Beloved where w/ "Ode to Joy" he's pretty much completely deaf and can't hear the recognition he's receiving until someone turns him around (again it's not so much the movie but thinking about the fact it's based on a true incident from what I understand).

Oraphus
04-30-04, 06:59 PM
"i am sam"... makes me tear up every time.. but i attrubute that to just my eyes wattering.. because of the air..yeah.. that's it.

SomeVoices
04-30-04, 07:59 PM
Passion of the Christ, Schindler's List, The Green Mile, Rudy, Edward Scissorhands for me.

Rivero
04-30-04, 08:20 PM
Rudy

:thumbsup:

mookiemeister
04-30-04, 09:35 PM
Titanic
The English Patient
Casablanca
Good Will Hunting
Gattaca

Robert
04-30-04, 10:44 PM
<b>We Were Soldiers
Forrest Gump
Field of Dreams
The Majestic
Saving Private Ryan
Shawshank Redemption</b>

coladar
04-30-04, 10:57 PM
Only one movie has ever caused me to tear up: A Walk to Remember. No mentions in this thread, only one mention in the previous thread. I've seen a large portion of the films mentioned thus far, and none have bothered me like A Walk to Remember. Hopefully I'm not that strange and most people either haven't watched it or don't like to admit they did.

Rypro 525
04-30-04, 11:07 PM
forrest gump always gets me.

kgrogers1979
04-30-04, 11:22 PM
I have never seen this movie mentioned here before, but I was visiting my mom two weekends ago, and she made me watch "Untamed Heart" with her. "Untamed Heart" was the saddest movie I have ever seen. I saw so much of myself in the main character and that made it even worse.

cruzness
05-01-04, 12:06 AM
E.T. as a kid
Menace II Society - the ending struck a chord
What Dreams May Come - Speech about his son breaks me up
Saving Private Ryan - the end put a lump in my throat

soxfandoug
05-01-04, 08:19 PM
I just thought of another movie that "almost" made me cry. Another pretty strange one:

61* - The scene where Roger Maris (Barry Pepper) hits his 61st home run to break Babe Ruth's record, and the crowd actually cheers for him almost gets me every time. Especially when he comes out for not one, but two curtain calls. I guess I have a thing for sports movies, huh?

Ergyu
05-01-04, 08:55 PM
The last movie I all out cried at was when I was 6 or something, watching some Cheetah movie in the theater.

Movies since I've been grown up that have gotten me close to teary eyed:

Schindlers list
Saving Private Ryan
Good Will Hunting

Probably something else too.

silentbob007
05-01-04, 09:19 PM
Legends of the Fall really got me the when trying to fall asleep the night after watching it ....

FuzzyBallz
05-01-04, 11:34 PM
DysFunKtional Family 'cause it was so damn funny. Couldn't tell you the others 'cause it'll make me look bad.

Tony Dvdfan
05-01-04, 11:42 PM
I would agree with the earlier poster about A Walk to Remember.. some others that i happen to be watching when my allergies flare up ;) :

Ghost
Big Fish
Green Mile
Lion King

vu_quy
05-02-04, 02:07 AM
The Killing Fields

...the scene at the end when they hug to John Lennon's song...damn...<tears>!

Psychlowne
05-02-04, 02:15 AM
E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Big Fish
Grave of the Fireflies
Magnolia
Beauty and the Beast
Dead Man Walking
Mystic River

SPiRAL
05-02-04, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
My Dog Skip, it gets me everytime. put a dog in there and I cry like a little girl.

Same here.

Djangoman
05-02-04, 03:35 AM
Great Conqueror's concubine (last scenes when Xiang Yu's troops are sieged and their morale dropped when their troops family sang traditional song of their village - and final scenes when Xiang Yu comitted suicide, and his horse on a raft jumped to the water to come after him) Even the scene when Xiang Yu ordered his servant to carried his trusty horse away so he can fight by himself - and the horse whinnied in protest ... (sigh), such a heroic scene...

But I also cried when I watched Lilo and Stitch...

Djangoman
05-02-04, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by SPiRAL
Same here.

Scooby-Doo included? :D

Giantrobo
05-02-04, 03:50 AM
To name only a few:

Iron Giant
Prince of Egypt
God and Generals...Believe me, I was shocked too.

edited to add:

My First Mister...near balling if I'm not careful

eedoon
05-02-04, 11:31 AM
The Iron Giant
Dances With Wolves
Kramer vs Kramer

DeeKay
05-02-04, 02:55 PM
The Iron Giant
Steel Magnolias
Hamlet (Gibson)
Almost Famous
The Godfather
Tess
Sense and Sensibility (When Hugh Grant finally proposes)
The Return of the King
Casablanca

dcprules
05-02-04, 04:48 PM
There is just something about father/son movies--

Field of Dreams, Road to Perdition, and Big Fish to name a few. Let's just say I don't want to elaborate any further.

iggystar
05-03-04, 12:03 PM
The Color Purple
Antwone Fisher

Troy Stiffler
05-03-04, 01:02 PM
Everything. I'm such a baby. Well, I usually just get very misty-eyed. But ocasionally a tear comes out.

One that always really stands out is Boyz 'N the Hood. Oooh. Iron Giant was a goodie too.

Ginwen
05-03-04, 01:26 PM
Doctor Zhivago...gets me everytime.

Originally posted by troystiffler
Everything. I'm such a baby. Well, I usually just get very misty-eyed. But ocasionally a tear comes out.
Actually, I'm the same way.

modfather
05-03-04, 01:27 PM
I just watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time last night. Although it's a HORRIBLY sad movie, it oddly didn't make me cry. Maybe because it's anime.

But MAN, what a depressing movie! Nothing quite like watching that movie right before bedtime on a Sunday night! :(

deluis
05-03-04, 04:10 PM
Brother Bear

Fok
05-03-04, 04:46 PM
Schinder's List......damm those Nazi's :/

RaMMaR
05-03-04, 07:25 PM
Big Fish
Smoke Signals
Stand By Me

Tommy_Harn
05-03-04, 09:21 PM
Big Fish. I cried like a baby. "Wahhh! Wahhh!"

cross
05-03-04, 11:52 PM
Only movie that managed to move me close to tears (a sniffle or two) was Gump.

shawagg
05-04-04, 03:13 AM
Glory, but only when I watch the whole thing. Once I was in a film class and we watched the ending and it just didn't work.

shawagg
05-04-04, 03:15 AM
Oh and Life is Bueatiful, man Beninini walking off like a puppet-- us knowing what was going to happen-- him knowing what was going to happen. It was just a moment, of a father trying to give his son one last joy.

That's a moment of movie perfection in my mind.

DVDCzar
05-04-04, 02:00 PM
Cheech and Chong: Up in Smoke

sho kosugi
05-04-04, 02:43 PM
The Secret of Nimh

Mainly the "Flying Dreams" song and the glowing stone/house lifting part.

scott shelton
05-04-04, 03:25 PM
This board makes me cry, does that count?

Drop
05-04-04, 04:51 PM
Lately a lot of the movies I've watched have made me get all misty-eyed, although I can't say I've ever dropped any tears.

Whale Rider (the speech)
Mulholland Drive (Llorando)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill V2 (Beatrix hugging BB for the first time)
Glory
Last Samurai
Royal Tenenbaums
Finding Nemo
Leon: The Professional
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
21 Grams

I have this thing that whenever I see people cry, (fake or not) I atleast get teared up.

Get Me Coffee
05-04-04, 05:53 PM
Was I the only one that got tear up in 13 going on 30 when Garner crawled into bed with her mom?

Smidget
05-04-04, 06:04 PM
Schlinder's List and Elephant Man

The part in Schlinder's List that really got me was when he was looking at his car and his pin and was like "I could have saved 3 more people...." Ugh :(

steebo777
05-05-04, 09:00 AM
Van Helsing due to my extreme dissapointment. :(

Really though, Braveheart does it in for me in the end.

iggystar
05-05-04, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Smidget
Schlinder's List and Elephant Man

The part in Schlinder's List that really got me was when he was looking at his car and his pin and was like "I could have saved 3 more people...." Ugh :(

I've only seen Schlinder's once and this is the part I remember the most, and the part that made me tear up as well.

shill66
05-05-04, 12:13 PM
Am I the only person to have seen Gallipoli?

Wolfsflames
05-05-04, 12:25 PM
Dark Blue World <--- the ending...
The Patriot <--- the speech...
Das Boot <--- the ending...
The Family Trap <--- the ending... this one get me really crying :(

modfather
05-05-04, 02:44 PM
I just thought of another: Little Women...

Samuel
05-05-04, 05:07 PM
Deep Impact, I guess you can say it had an impact on me.

cokekiller
05-05-04, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by shill66
Am I the only person to have seen Gallipoli?

Nope...great flick...plus it would prob make anyone cry. A movie before Mel was a Jesus freak. Or at least before I knew he was :-)

Black Stallion

Cardinal Fang
05-06-04, 11:29 AM
I get choked up during the final act of The Shawshank Redemption.

Every. Single. Time.

Rivero
05-06-04, 11:34 AM
Most recently, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

when Carrey and Winslet are sitting by the beach near the end, Clementine completely cognizant of what has been happening to Joel's memories, and they realize that they are spending their very last seconds together.

modfather
05-06-04, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Rivero
Most recently, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

when Carrey and Winslet are sitting by the beach near the end, Clementine completely cognizant of what has been happening to Joel's memories, and they realize that they are spending their very last seconds together.

Um, hopefully, this isn't a spoiler.

iggystar
05-06-04, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang
I get choked up during the final act of The Shawshank Redemption.

Every. Single. Time.

Yeah, forgot about that one. That act had me bawling the first time I saw it and I still get misty eyed.

Get Me Coffee
05-06-04, 12:53 PM
What about the end of Iron Giant? Any one?

ruk
05-06-04, 03:58 PM
star trek 2
glory
titanic
sholay
mks

Joel
05-10-04, 04:13 AM
I'm a sensitive person in terms of movies. Got misty-eyed a lot, cried many times.

But if I have to single out one movie that tore my heart up to pieces from the beginning to the end continuously .. *sigh* .. then it will be Hotaru No Haka.

I borrowed the movie from someone close to me, and I was in a war with him when I watched the movie alone in the dark of my room. There were not enough words to describe the bitterness.

Even before I pressed the PLAY button on my player, my tears were already rolling down my cheek *blush*. Come to recall it, I really had the nerve to watch that damn_depressing movie when I was depressed. Ha.

BlackBeauty92
05-10-04, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by modfather
I just watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time last night. Although it's a HORRIBLY sad movie, it oddly didn't make me cry. Maybe because it's anime.

But MAN, what a depressing movie! Nothing quite like watching that movie right before bedtime on a Sunday night! :(

:lol:

it almost got me as well...

i'm not much of teary-eye kind of audience....
but there are few movies that almost/had me, like:
The Rock (when they destroyed the Ferrari)
2 Fast & 2 Furious (when they destroyed the Skyline GTR "bullet")

on the serious note... movies like:
Ben-Hur (the last part about Judah & his lepers parents & Jesus)
Con-Air (Cage giving his daughter the burned up doll)
always get me into tears....

i'm not much of love story kind of guy... but anything about son & his parents bonding usually gets in the right spot

CTUK
05-12-04, 05:37 AM
My Dog Skip :(

Flave
05-12-04, 01:11 PM
Well, there are lots of movie scenes that get many different people to cry. A tad off topic maybe, but how about music videos?

My Immortal gets me misty every time. You know, the song from that '"Schweppes" band -- Effervescence or something? :)

Oh, and the Mad World video by Gary Jules (from Donnie Darko).

JupiterPrime
05-12-04, 03:15 PM
wife and daughter cry at movies all the time - I get a little throat lumpy - cant remember the last time I cried - over anything

Last tear-jerker for them was through the last 15-20 minutes of Return of the King

Then they did the Happy cry for Dewey Finn near the end of School of Rock

DeeKay
05-12-04, 04:15 PM
Yeah, me too, Return of the King go me too. But not so much at the end (even though I did cry then too).

Mostly it was:

1. when Pippin was singing and you see Faramir fighting what he thinks is a lost battle.

2. when Sam, at the end, thinking he is going to die remembers Rosie and how much he would have loved a life with her.

asianxcore
05-12-04, 05:30 PM
I've only cried to one movie ever, that I can remember. When I was a kid, Mrs. Doubtfire would make me cry. Just because of the divorce thing, as I was going through my parents divorce still at the time.

gutwrencher
05-13-04, 01:31 AM
when Charlie gets his golden ticket....and when he gets everything.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sobbing.gif

conscience
05-13-04, 01:34 AM
Okay I was watching Shrek with my niece for like the millionth time and I have to say that the Hallelujah scene gets me everytime. I had to go into the other room cause I didn't want her to get upset or anything. ;)

modfather
05-13-04, 11:24 AM
War movies seem to do it for me too:

Glory
Platoon (you know the scene - it's on the damn cover!)
The Thin Red Line: when the one soldier gets the "Dear John" letter