Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New hero domestic trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-28-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, i knew nothing about this aside from what people here have said.. This movie looks badass

http://mediaframe.yahoo.com/launch?l...s&f=1808404384

and yes i know there is already a thread but i thought this link may have gotten lost in it if you mods want though i will put it there and delete this one hehe
Old 04-29-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Saw this will Kill Bill Vol 2 definately going to see it on day of release...if i can.
Old 04-29-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the biggest misrepresentations of a movie if Ive ever seen one, from making it out to be an all out action film with Li as the sole lead-including some definite spoilers and despite what some people have said, some people did walk away thinking it was a new QT flick.
Old 04-29-04, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why they don't play up the fact that they've assembled one of the most kickass ensemble casts for a film EVER. Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Donnie Yen. Just reading that should make any martial-arts fan blow his load.
Old 04-29-04, 11:13 AM

Wow, they butchered the story in that trailer.
Old 04-29-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
yea the trailer was a little misleading. I didn't even know this was being released in american theaters. very excited.
Old 04-29-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rivero, I agree with you but even then, this movie isnt a martial arts extravagenza, I think alot of people wil go away mad if thats the main reason to see this movie.
Old 04-29-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by harosa
Rivero, I agree with you but even then, this movie isnt a martial arts extravagenza, I think alot of people wil go away mad if thats the main reason to see this movie.
With that in mind I wont go in expecting that.
Old 04-29-04, 12:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I hate to say it, but Miramax has given up on respectfully promoting the film, and have resorted to a “mouthbreather” campaign to maximize profits.

They know they have a challenging film, but to sell with QT, Jet Li, and action, and they’ll be able to wring a few more dollars out of it than they previously imagined.

That’s just the way it’s going to be. Sorry to say…
Old 04-29-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also in the movie
Spoiler:
Jet Li is the bad guy right?
Old 04-29-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
also in the movie
Spoiler:
Jet Li is the bad guy right?

Spoiler:
... at least until the "All under Heaven" talk w/ Broken Sword (Tony Leung) &/or the Emperor's (Chen Dao Ming) realization of what the word "sword" meant in Broken Sword's calligraphy.
Old 04-29-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
One of the biggest misrepresentations of a movie if Ive ever seen one, from making it out to be an all out action film with Li as the sole lead-including some definite spoilers and despite what some people have said, some people did walk away thinking it was a new QT flick.
What he said. I'm sure that there are going to be some confused/pissed/bored filmgoers who expected something very different. I'll go see it both to finally see it on the big screen, and to check out what should be some interesting mainstream audience reactions.
Old 04-29-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is just ridiculous. This movie is NOTHING like what that trailer makes it out to be. Does Miramax feel that American audiences are so mindless that misrepresenting the movie is the only way to get us into the theater? Why can't they market it for what it really is - a thoughtfull Rashomon-esque story with some beautiful imagery and a couple stylish fight scenes.

No, I guess Americans are all suffering from ADD, and the only movies we'll buy tickets for are the ones with nothing but mind-numbing action and violence. This trailer really offends me.
Old 04-30-04, 01:11 AM
Li

I didn't know anything about this movie until I saw the trailer during KB2. I thought it looked great, but then read another thread in which it was pointed out that the trailer is misleading. I loved CTHD, so I figured I'd most likely enjoy this film as well. So for $4.99 (and a ridicules $8 shipping charge which really only cost $2) I bought the DVD off eBay and just got done watching it. I thought it was incredible. I don't know what it is, but there's something about Chinese cinema that really draws me in. Though this film is not for everyone, as is the case for Lost in Translation, which everyone seemed to love and I despised. Mainstream audiences would probably be bored at times, though I never felt that way myself.
Old 04-30-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im on the other side of the street for this movie, I found it a little long and meandering but visually stunning and thoughtful, but I do get pissed at it being sold as a generic Li kung fu flick, the man has done a ton of shitty ones and it is a disservice to sell this as one of those. I guess Miramax finally gave up on this and is just banking on a first weekeend's take, why else agree to slap on QT's name, which I think is a slap to the original director, no matter what he says are his or Miramax's motives.
Old 04-30-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
The Empire's most ruthless assassins
Old 05-05-04, 07:58 PM
Li

Originally posted by candyrocket786
The Empire's most ruthless assassins
Yeah, it makes it sound like they're people the Emperor sent after him or something.