Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Cassavetes IS Johnny Staccato

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm putting this in the wrong forum on purpose because I figure if there are any Cassavetes fans, they'll be in the movie forum & not the tv one...

I just happened to catch an episode of this old cult tv show & it was a lot of fun - Gena Rowlands was even a guest star. It turns out the Trio cable channel is playing an episode every night for the rest of this week & several more next month. Easy to miss, I thought some people might be interested:

Johnny Staccato

Set in NYC, this Brilliant But Cancelled series centered on jazz pianist Johnny Staccato, who supplemented his meager income as a jazz pianist by working as a Private Detective. An important background for many episodes was "Waldo's," a small jazz club in Greenwich Village where Johnny spent much of his spare time and met most of his clients. Originally airing on NBC in 1959, this series was shot in black and white and features amazing jazz performances by the Pete Candoli jazz combo which included Barney Kessel, Shelly Manne, Red Mitchell, Red Norvo and Johnny Williams, who perform the score by Oscar-winning composer Elmer Bernstein.

http://www.triotv.com/uncovered/johnny_staccato/
Old 11-17-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Cassavetes IS Johnny Staccato

Completely escaping my notice, the complete series of Johnny Staccato (27 episodes) was released on DVD by Timeless Media on 10/12/2010.

Does anyone know of any on-line reviews? TM's release of Checkmate was reviewed as poor-to-fair, with battered (and sometimes edited) prints used. The facts that NBC seems to have allowed their logo on the box, and that the press release notes "restored and re-mastered", are encouraging.

Also, on sale at Amazon now for $21.99 (marked down from $34.98).

Oh, and mods, if needed, move this thread to whatever forum is appropriate

Last edited by obscurelabel; 11-17-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: John Cassavetes IS Johnny Staccato

I remember seeing some episodes of "Johnny Staccato" at the Museum of Modern Art a long time ago. Was the series shot in New York? For some reason, I'm guessing not.