Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best Sound Card w/ SPDIF?

joshd2012
04-27-04, 08:42 PM
Well, I finally got my computer running. Turns out I got a bad MoBo and they had to send me a replacement. I started out with an A7N266-VM and ended up with a A7V8X-VM. Its a pretty nice upgrade that cost me nothing. I do miss the nVidia chipset, and it is very obvious when trying to play any type of audio.

When playing through the headphone jack (onboard), I can hear the CD spinning through the speakers. I know that this is probably just an improper ground somewhere, but I'm not giving up this board that works! When playing using a SPDIF connector (my speakers have a SPDIF input only), I get skips every once in a while. I still have to update the bios, but I don't see that helping anything.

So I'm looking for a Sound Card with SPDIF. Any suggestions?

Gallant Pig
04-28-04, 12:18 AM
You can't go wrong with M-Audio products IMO. I own the Revolution and it's very nice. Stay away from SoundBlaster. Turtle Beach is supposed to be pretty good.

joshd2012
04-28-04, 12:43 AM
I always had the impression that Sound Blaster was the best sound card. Thanks for the names, I'll look into them.

JM
04-28-04, 01:08 AM
Look into the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It was (is?) one of the best consumer level sound cards but is very affordable. CompUSA seems to frequently have a good deal on it after rebate. I only say was because I believe Turtle Beach has a new card out that is the heir apparent to the Santa Cruz.

joshd2012
04-28-04, 06:31 PM
Well, it does look like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is the card that I need. It is getting harder and harder to find a sound card with coaxial SPDIF out and this card has that. In a 1/8" jack none-the-less! What kind of deal do they usually have on it?

JM
04-28-04, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by joshd2012
Well, it does look like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is the card that I need. It is getting harder and harder to find a sound card with coaxial SPDIF out and this card has that. In a 1/8" jack none-the-less! What kind of deal do they usually have on it?

CompUSA often has it for $40 AR. Circuit City had it for $20 AR a couple of weeks ago. NewEgg.com currently has the OEM version for $40 and the retail version for $55 (+$4 shipping).

gcribbs
04-28-04, 11:57 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-101&depa=0

$39 plus shipping from newegg for the oem card :)

figured I would make it easy :)

joshd2012
04-29-04, 12:35 AM
Thanks. I ordered it. $40 is pretty good for a card that will do everything I need it to do.

eedoon
04-29-04, 03:50 AM
The Turtle Beach doesn't have optical connections. Is there's any daughter card or something like that? Or can anyone recommend me a good sound card with optical out?

JM
04-29-04, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by eedoon
The Turtle Beach doesn't have optical connections. Is there's any daughter card or something like that? Or can anyone recommend me a good sound card with optical out?

Since it has a coaxial output, you could just get a coaxial-to-optical converter if you need really need optical.

eedoon
04-29-04, 09:36 AM
Thanks for your reply.

How much does this converter cost? I have a Yamaha VS-10 and unfortunately it only has optical in for its digital connection. Currently I'm using SB Live! Platinum, it has optical out and I'm quite content with the quality. I've been thinking of picking up a new sound card because my computer is getting outdated. But since my current sound card is adequate enough, I won't be upgrading if the cost is too high.