Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have trouble (or know anything) with the CONVERGENCE on their Projection TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone have trouble (or know anything) with the CONVERGENCE on their Projection TV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Panasonic 47x49 and the convergence on this thing is a pain in the ass. Whenever the power goes out of the TV is moved, its thrown off. I ALWAYS find myself fixing it and its really upsetting.

Does anyone know anything about convergence? I always find myself messing with this:

1. A green cross that goes across the entire screen. I have to align the picture either to the right and left or up and down and its hard getting or finding out what the dead center is

2. A smaller cross in the center of the screen that I have to align with the colors blue and red

3. Im ALWAYS in this one lining up 8 crosses (4 corners, between those corners [#2 is the center]) I have to align the reds and the blues

If I dont do this, EVERYTHING in the light either has a noticable red or blue halo. The red I can take care of, but I cant get rid of the damn blue. Its always there, and on a certain part of the screen. Its like I cant line anything up to get rid of it.

Its really frusturating us and we got this over a year ago from Circuit City. We want to get them over here to service it and get the picture looking sharp. But I dunno...

Anyone know anythin gabout this stuff and can offer some insights, ideas, etc?
Old 04-26-04, 07:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I can tell you that after the first 6 months or so I never had to touch my convergence, even years later. That's for 72 convergence points. And I roll the set around all the time.

This won't help you, but I want you to know it is possible to have a stable convergence.
Old 04-26-04, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about the smaller crosses, but if your tv is like mine, there are itty bitty tiny notches on the casing around the screen to line the green cross up with. I had to stand less than a foot away to see them, but they're there.
Also, are you letting the TV warm up before doing the convergence? I have read that you should warm it up for half an hour to an hour (depends on where you read) before messing with settings. I usually just pop in a movie that I can listen to without actually watching while doing other things around the house. Then when the movie is over I go into the convergence menus and check it.