Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

David Bowie invites fans to bootleg his music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bowie: Please remix my songs
Musician offering prizes for creative 'mash-up'

Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 11:45 AM EDT (1545 GMT)

LONDON, England (AP) -- David Bowie has invited fans to bootleg his music -- and he's offering prizes for the most creative theft.

The musician's Web site urges fans to mix classic Bowie songs with material from his latest album, "Reality," to create a "mash-up" -- a track that uses vocals from one song superimposed over the backing tracks of another.

Developments in music software has made the technique long employed by record producers easily accessible to thousands of "bedroom DJs" -- a fact that has alarmed record companies battling for control of Internet music distribution.

But Bowie, 57, was quoted as saying in Monday's editions of The Times newspaper that mash-ups were "a great appropriation idea waiting to happen."

"Being a hybrid maker off and on over the years, I'm very comfortable with the idea and have been the subject of quite a few pretty good mash-ups myself," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

The music software needed for the task can be downloaded from Bowie's Web site, along with tracks from his new album.

Following the end of the contest on May 17, Bowie will choose the winning tack, and it will be released as an MP3 single. The winner will also get a new car.

The mash-up technique gained prominence with "The Gray Album," a blend of The Beatles and Jay-Z by an American DJ known as Dangermouse.

A reported 1 million copies were downloaded from the Internet before it was blocked by record company EMI in February.
Bowie is so cool!
Old 04-26-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
A -TRUE- artist.
Old 04-26-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bowie is, was and will always be ahead of the pack.

I wish he would write books, too.
Old 04-27-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's so cool.
Old 04-27-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, what does he care? Didn't he sell off the rights to all his music and future music as stock?