DVD Talk
Jack White produced new Loretta Lynn album [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Jack White produced new Loretta Lynn album


Frank TJ Mackey
04-25-04, 11:57 PM
the new Loretta Lynn album "Van Lear Rose" comes out
Tuesday (April 27) and Jack White produced almost all
of it i think.

they only appear vocally on 1 track but it's getting rave
reviews

anyone heard this yet, i see that Best Buy and other places have it in their weekly ads fro $9.99

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/60/24/98/18/0060249818955_500X500.jpg

funkyryno
04-26-04, 03:26 AM
I have it on order. It's received some good reviews.

LiquidSky
04-26-04, 07:26 AM
I will be purchasing this one.

fsubruce
04-26-04, 10:08 AM
I picked up a promo copy yesterday and have listened to it several times. Great stuff, and mandatory for White Stripes fans. Approx. half of the backing tracks sound like outtakes from Elephant, the other half are (somewhat) more traditional country. "Portland, Oregon" has to be the single of the year...

fallow
04-26-04, 10:56 AM
I just heard "Portland, Oregon" on this guy's blog and DAMN it is good.

woofman
04-27-04, 05:51 AM
Can't wait to hear it!

Frank TJ Mackey
04-27-04, 04:57 PM
I heard a 6-track promo and it's as good as all the reviews say it is.

People should really check this out.

slop101
04-27-04, 05:34 PM
Our local "independant" altarnative radio station has been playing tracks from the album now for a while - I didn't know it was a new release.

Danstheday1
04-28-04, 01:50 AM
Man i picked this cd up at bestbuy for 9.99 and man is it GOOD, Now i dont like current country music, i do like johnny cash and thats about it when it comes to country, but man the lyrics are friggen good and the music is equal, DAMM WHAT A GOOD ALBum, All this comming from a guy whos loves anything but country!!!!

Frank TJ Mackey
04-28-04, 03:07 AM
I just bought it and i love it.

I am not an "new country" fan but old school stuff like Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn can be heartbreakingly good.

This is the first album Lynn has ever written all the songs for and you can tell how personal all the tunes are.

Jack White plays acoustic and electric guitar, piano, organ and sings background vocals.

boston george
04-28-04, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Danstheday1
Man i picked this cd up at bestbuy for 9.99 and man is it GOOD, Now i dont like current country music, i do like johnny cash and thats about it when it comes to country, but man the lyrics are friggen good and the music is equal, DAMM WHAT A GOOD ALBum, All this comming from a guy whos loves anything but country!!!!

I agree completely. I love this album. I must have listened to it 10 times at work last night. And this is coming from a guy who mostly listens to punk, emo, hardcore and indie rock, but I don't like to confine my musical tastes to genres. If it's good music I don't care what you wanna call it.

Portland, Oregon=Single of the year

LiquidSky
04-29-04, 07:59 AM
It's a permanent fixture in my CD player. Excellent.

deadlax
04-29-04, 08:21 AM
I still don't get the Portland, Oregon = Single of the year stuff. This album is average country work at best. I am a fan of old country, bluegrass, and the country-rock merge of the late sixties. I also enjoy the newer alt-country sound. This album just sounds out of place to me. I guess I'll be the lone detractor of this thread.

slop101
04-29-04, 09:57 AM
^ yeah, I was thinking that the real old-school country fans might not like this album too much.

LiquidSky
04-29-04, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by slop101
^ yeah, I was thinking that the real old-school country fans might not like this album too much.

Really? I was thinking just the opposite. I love Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, June Carter, The Carter Family, and Dolly Parton.

I would think perhaps fans of the new "pop country" would not like this one.

Frank TJ Mackey
04-30-04, 10:58 AM
I think the spoken word song about halfway through the album could've had a sung chorus or something, but that's about the only fault i find with the record

Scot1458
04-30-04, 02:01 PM
who is jack black?

slop101
04-30-04, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I think the spoken word song about halfway through the album could've had a sung chorus or something, but that's about the only fault i find with the record

Lynn does that sort of off-the-cuff rambling thing all the time in her live shows (it's sream of consiousness) - this is the first time she recorded one for an album - actually, at Jack White's insistance.

movieking
04-30-04, 03:24 PM
OK, I love country music. Mostly the older stuff, and some of the new. I have always loved Johnny Cash, and thought that his last albums with Rick Rubin were amongst the best of his career. I was never a big Loretta Lynn fan, but I must admit, this is a great CD. I am listening to it as I type, and I have enjoyed all of the songs so far. Hopefully, she will have a resurgence like JC did...

Rivero
05-01-04, 01:34 PM
We've played the cd here a few times. It's decent, but I don't know why some of you are blowing your loads over it. The lyrics could use some work, though they are some of the most personal from Lynn I've heard.

Rivero
05-01-04, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Scot1458
who is jack black?

If you mean Jack WHITE, he's a singer-songwriter from Detroit who broke out as a guitarist for The Go. He's produced several albums(Von Bondies), worked on soundtracks(Cold Mountain) and is currently part of the musical duo The White Stripes.

Frank TJ Mackey
05-01-04, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Rivero
We've played the cd here a few times. It's decent, but I don't know why some of you are blowing your loads over it. The lyrics could use some work, though they are some of the most personal from Lynn I've heard.


I've never understood how lyrics can need some work. She is singing about being dirt poor in the south in the 1930s and 40s. What more do you want from her.

I'm guessing she didn't graduate Ivy League.

astrochimp
05-02-04, 08:08 PM
Loretta and Jack are performing on Letterman tomorrow(Monday May 3rd) night.

Turd Ferguson
05-03-04, 08:46 AM
I've listened to it several times since I bought it Friday, and I like it more and more each time. Jack White did what Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash and stripped away all the overproduced Nashville studio bullshit and let Loretta's voice and writing take center stage.

F'ing brilliant album.

LiquidSky
05-03-04, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
I've listened to it several times since I bought it Friday, and I like it more and more each time. Jack White did what Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash and stripped away all the overproduced Nashville studio bullshit and let Loretta's voice and writing take center stage.

F'ing brilliant album.

Yep. At 69, Loretta kicks the azz of all these so-called women of country such as Faith Hill and Shania Twain and their bland pop/"country" music.

Turd Ferguson
05-04-04, 10:35 AM
The performance of "Portland, Oregon" on Letterman was great, but I wish it had been earlier in the show so we could have seen a bit of an interview.

It was also nice to see Jack White play a decent guitar.

Rogue588
05-04-04, 12:24 PM
Saw them on Letterman too.

Good song, but the music drowned out Loretta's vocals..