Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chungking express & fallen angels dvd

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a DVD which had chungking express and fallen angels on a single dvd that was double sided. It had both mandarin & cantonese soundtrack with english subtitles. It's either region 1 or all region. I was wondering if anybody knows the quality or any details about this dvd. I've been looking for a cheaper price for fallen angels for so long. It seems that this might be it.

Last edited by Couch Potato; 04-24-04 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Hmmm, it wouldn't be region 1, because in the US, Chungking Express was released by Miramax/Rolling Thunder and Fallen Angels by Kino. So, its probably a HK release, but I'm wondering if it's legit? Where did you see it?
Old 04-25-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't heard of a disc that includes both movies. But I suggest checking koreandvds.com and their Wong Kar-Wai sale. You can get both Chungking Express and Fallen Angels for less than $17 shipped.
http://www.koreandvds.com/special_me...?type=4&id=132
Old 04-25-04, 07:28 AM

You're probably right about it being a HK release. It didn't look like bootleg because it had one of those hologram stickers on it and the dvd artcover looked clear. I saw it in chinatown at nyc. This store sells mostly legit dvd's

D-Ball, I prefer a region 1 dvd so I can lend it to my friends to watch.

Originally posted by cultshock
Hmmm, it wouldn't be region 1, because in the US, Chungking Express was released by Miramax/Rolling Thunder and Fallen Angels by Kino. So, its probably a HK release, but I'm wondering if it's legit? Where did you see it?
Old 04-25-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Both of the Korean discs are All Region.
Old 04-26-04, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Couch Potato
You're probably right about it being a HK release. It didn't look like bootleg because it had one of those hologram stickers on it and the dvd artcover looked clear. I saw it in chinatown at nyc. This store sells mostly legit dvd's

D-Ball, I prefer a region 1 dvd so I can lend it to my friends to watch.
If it's the round type on the front cover then it's probably from the mainland. If it's rectangular and placed across the opening edge, it usually has the distributor's name on it and probably from HK. The mainland discs usually have ISRC#s like ISRC CN-A03-01-349-00/VJ instead of catalog numbers, too.
Old 05-08-04, 02:57 PM

I have the Kino version of Fallen Angels and was wondering if the Korean version has a better transfer. What about the other Wong Kar Wai movies? Which versions are the best?
Old 05-08-04, 03:00 PM

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

This page has some WKW film comparisons.
Old 05-09-04, 08:48 PM

Thanks, but that site doesn't compare the ones I'm interested in.
Old 05-09-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I have the Kino version of Fallen Angels and was wondering if the Korean version has a better transfer. What about the other Wong Kar Wai movies? Which versions are the best?
The Rolling Thunder/Miramax DVD is the way to go with Chungking Express and the Criterion disc of In the Mood for Love. His other films really haven't had what I could consider definitive DVD versions released yet, especially my favourite, Ashes of Time. So I'm holding off a bit, to see if someone, somewhere can do the other films justice on DVD.
Old 05-10-04, 03:49 PM

Still best release of Ashes Of Time 'available'?: