Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Goodbye Mr Chips (1939)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-04, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of Goodbye Mr Chips (1939) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9416 and I would like to say it is rather depressing when a reviewer does not do his homework.

For one thing, to say "it looks like the film was made in England" made me smile. THIS film was MGM's flagship project for its new British studio at Denham, which was sadly closed down when War was declared in 1939. Only three films were made, the others being THE CITADEL & A YANK AT OXFORD.

As for Robert Donat, his performance as Chips was not only "highly praised" - it won him the Best Actor Oscar, pipping Gable for GONE WITH THE WIND.

The original camera negative for CHIPS perished in the London blitz by the way, which explains the dupe used for the DVD.

BC
Old 04-23-04, 09:46 AM
The DVD Savant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Sorry

So terribly sorry my review has depressed you, specifically my lack of precise information on where GOODBYE MR CHIPS was filmed, even though I guessed correctly. I promise not to write another review until I've read every book ever printed on the movies, know everything about everything, and never make a mistake, not even the non-mistake you so cleverly uncovered.

If my kind of journalistic squalor depresses you, I certainly hope you don't read a newspaper or watch the news. There's a lot of really depressing things going on out there. Some of it is actually important.

Sorry for the smart-*** response. In truth, I updated my original DVD Savant review of CHIPS the day after it was posted with better info on where it was filmed. I have a greatly appreciated group of readers who quickly catch my every goof. You can read the original CHIPS post here, on the real Savant site:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1087chip.html

The Savant reviews mirrored the normal DVDTalk files are shorter and not as often updated with reader responses or full corrections. As a first trial cure for depression, I suggest you read DVD Savant at its source. My main page also
carries a column with personal remarks ...

http://dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/

If you catch me at something really wrong, please write me at

[email protected]

DVD Savant isn't exactly a beacon of perfection, but I try to be gracious about owning up to the many real mistakes I make, as you will see by the many revisions at the bottoms of the original reviews. I also acknowlege readers who set me straight.

Thanks, Glenn Erickson