Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

3 Women <--> Picnic at Hanging Rock

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done watching Robert Altman's 3 Women, which in itself is a brilliantly surreal cinematic experience that evoke several different emotions. However, towards the end I experienced similar feelings as I did when I viewed Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock for the first time a some years ago. The feeling felt as if something was left undone, yet completed. This cognitive dissonance and pushed me into an introspective venture of why “…”, i.e., many different things.

What do you think and have you had similar experience with these two films? Or maybe other films?

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 04-23-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'll have to check out 3 Women now. Because I loved Picnic..
Old 04-23-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think I'll have to check out 3 Women now. Because I loved Picnic..
Let me know what you think...

My Review: 3 Women
Old 04-23-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Let me know what you think...

My Review: 3 Women
Good read. I want to see this now.
Old 01-08-15, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 3 Women <--> Picnic at Hanging Rock

Bumping this 11 year old thread to discuss two of my favorite movies, Robert Altman's 3 women & Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975).

Re: the OP, yes, I do think both films have some similarities in that they both have dream-like qualities.

3 women (1977) Am truly bowled over by the excellence of this film. Not sure if this is my favorite Altman movie, but it's in my top five. Excellent performances by Shelley Duvall & Sissy Spacek, and the artwork (the drawings done by the pregnant artist) and colors (Purple Sage Apartments, the clothes, etc.) are incredible. You get a real feeling of desolation/hopelessness in this movie, i.e. the stark desert, etc. The cute twins who worked at the senior rehabilitation facility were quite creepy - right out of a horror movie. I thought it was depressing how Millie (Duvall) kept trying to get others to pay attention to her and they just ignored her; that being said, one of the funniest recurring sequences is when she kept trying to get that guy's attention (in the apartment complex) & whenever she spoke to him, he coughed as if he were sick (presumably to avoid talking to her) - LOL. I also thought the Mille character's obsession with food & the time it took to cook certain dishes both interesting & pathetic.
Spoiler:
The elderly couple who came to see the Pinky character in the hospital & claimed to be her parents seemed unlikely (Pinky said she didn't know who they were, but that may just have been a result of her fall).

My interpretation of the meaning behind this film is that
Spoiler:
the whole movie was a dream, up until the very end; i.e., when you see the Pinky & Millie characters in the Desert bar (and they're revealed to be mother & daughter), and then you see the pregnant artist (as the grandmother?!) sitting on the porch, that's the reality. The grandmother mentions she just had a strange dream, and I believer all of the preceding story was the dream she just had. This is just my opinion, however.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975): Re-watched this recently, and was again truly impressed by the quality of this film. There are so many things going on that it really requires at least 2-3 viewings to fully appreciate. And, despite the fact that this is an early film & he's directed a lot of other great ones since PAHR, this remains my favorite movie by Weir. The dream-like atmosphere, music, & the imagery of these stunning Victorian women (especially the lead) worked really well together...

So, why/how
Spoiler:
did these women disappear? I honestly don't have a clue. I guess one of the points of the movie is that we're never meant to know..
Old 01-08-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I adore both of these films. Their unresolved dreaminess is what I like best about both. I've never really thought too hard about how to interpret 3 Women, because I get the sense that Altman himself didn't really have an idea about what was going on. The final sequence has always confounded me, but I think I'm ok with that. However, it's been a few years since I last saw it. I really need to upgrade to BD and revisit.

Picnic at Hanging Rock spoilers:
Spoiler:
With Picnic, like you said, I don't think it ultimately matters what happened to the girls. The film isn't about them. The film is about the people around them and how they were affected by the disappearance. That said, the original novel had an unpublished final chapter (which eventually saw print years later) that makes it pretty clear that the girls vanished into some sort of wormhole or time warp. I read it online somewhere years ago, and I bet if you search around you can find it.
Old 01-08-15, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hanging Rock was a great Blind Buy for me. One of the best. It just... sounded so interesting. And it was. Very terrifying in a way cuz you want to know but you don't want to know cuz it's so odd. Great BD.
Old 01-08-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

3 Women is interesting, disconcerting, and creepy. It's sort of a continuation of Altman's Images, but not as good.