Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

11th Star Trek film being considered

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-02, 10:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Darkhorizons.com reports the following:

Star Trek 11: Ananova reports that Rick Berman has indicated that, at least unofficially, an eleventh Trek film is a definite go ahead no matter how "Nemesis" performs at the box-office. However in order to keep in with the film's tagline as the Next Gen's last - the eleventh film will contain characters from the other three spin-off series: "I don't know if putting Deep Space Nine's Captain Sisko on the screen is viable. I think there are certain characters from other shows that would work. Colm Meaney is a remarkable actor. Jeri Ryan, I can't imagine people would not love to see her on the big screen. So there are possibilities of combining other actors. I'm not suggesting that we're going to do that. It's just a possibility. It's even a possibility that we would include characters from Enterprise even though they're 200 years earlier. Anything's possible".

They'll do anything to milk this puppy dry, apparently.
Old 11-26-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 11th Star Trek film being considered

Originally posted by Bandoman
Darkhorizons.com reports the following:

They'll do anything to milk this puppy dry, apparently.
Well, if they can keep coming up with interesting story, why not?
Old 11-26-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeri Ryan to big screen

She better be nudie this time.
Old 11-26-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to step on Bandoman's toes [cuz i've heard his chips are so good! ], here's the full text from Cinescape
“I can tell you right now we’ll be making another film,” Berman says. “There’s never been a STAR TREK movie that wasn’t profitable for Paramount. One of the things about STAR TREK movies is there’s no risk in making them because the studio knows if you spend this much money on producing the film, you’re going to make that much money, or you might make that much money. But there’s pretty much a window of the profitability of these films… unlike non-STAR TREK films which could be total wrecks and not make a dime, or could take off and make $200 million, there’s a risk involved. There’s very little risk involved in STAR TREK films, so I think we’re a long way from seeing the end.”

Paramount’s ad campaign for NEMESIS seems to imply that this might just be the last of the NEXT GENERATION films, and while Berman is not ready to write off Captain Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E yet, he is willing to discuss an idea that has been thrown about over the years in TREK circles: the notion of combining characters from various TREK incarnations to create a sort of smorgasbord cast for the next movie.

“As to whether the next film will include these [TNG] characters, or a combination of these characters with other characters from other series, [or] new characters—that’s all yet to be discussed. And that won’t happen [the] Saturday morning [after NEMESIS opens] hopefully,” he laughs. “They usually will give me a couple of months to breathe.”

The executive producer stresses that “there’s been no discussion whatsoever about the next film” on an official level, but he does believe that a mix of TREK characters is a viable option for the feature film franchise. He even has some ideas about which characters might or might not work in such a capacity.

“I don’t know if putting [DEEP SPACE NINE’s Captain] Sisko on the screen is viable,” he says. “But in the last film we put Robert Picardo who plays The Doctor into the film, which was, I think, met with a lot of cheers, and in this film we’ve got
Spoiler:
Kate Mulgrew doing a cameo.
I think there are certain characters from other [shows that would work]. Colm Meaney is a remarkable actor. Rene Auberjonois is a remarkable actor. Jeri Ryan, I can’t imagine people would not love to see her on the big screen. So there are possibilities of combining other actors. But then again, I’m not suggesting that we’re going to do that. It’s just a possibility. It’s even a possibility that we would include characters from ENTERPRISE even though they’re 200 years earlier. Anything’s possible with STAR TREK.”

Berman also has an idea of what STAR TREK 11 should be called.

“The next film will be STAR TREK 12—[we’re] just keeping the even numbers,” he jokes.
Old 11-26-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1) I thought it was a foregone conclusion that there'd be more. The phrase "a generation's final journey begins" has always implied to me that there would be at least one if not two more TNG-era films.

2) Like much of his writing nowadays, Berman stole his joke from Frakes who always referred to Insurrection as Star Trek 10.

das
Old 11-26-02, 11:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Ouch, why do my toes hurt? j/k

Thanks for the full text, Rogue588.

My problem with this is that they have decided that they are going to do another movie, not because they have any great ideas, but because they know they'll make money, regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) of the product. I know it's a business, but what happened to the Gene Roddenberry's vision and passion?
Old 11-26-02, 11:45 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey:
The phrase "a generation's final journey begins" has always implied to me that there would be at least one if not two more TNG-era films.

If I may be so bold, I think you are misreading this tagline--it seems obvious that it is referring to NEMESIS as the final journey unto itself. In other words, with the opening credits, the "final journey" will begin; when the end credits roll, that "final journey" will have concluded. Otherwise, it would be phrased, "a generation's final journeys begin"...
Old 11-26-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IMO, the "journey" isn't just a single film. Need I remind you of "the journey continues ..." that was used between III and IV? It would be a real stupid tagline if it just meant this film, because most films "begin" with the opening credits. The implication to me was that the journey "begins" with this film.

While we interpret the tagline differently, my interpretation is grammatically accurate ... it would still be, "a generation's final journey begins." Whether it spans one film or multiple films, it's still a single journey.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-26-02 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 01:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Your logic escapes me--you are using the word journey in a broad sense, but ironically, not broad enough; after all, playing by your rules, wouldn't "Encounter at Farpoint" register as the beginning of the journey to which you refer? And if this isn't the last movie, why the word "final" prefacing "journey"? What makes this film a beginning of a final journey that isn't actually finalized in this film? Couldn't any arbitrary point in the TNG continuum be called the beginning of a final journey, given that spin on logic? STAR TREK III's use of the phrase "...and the journey continues" obviously was to be read in a "...and so continues the voyages of the crew of the Starhip ENTERPRISE..." kind of way, whereas I maintain, NEMESIS' trailer is obviously stating that the film will mark the final journey of the TNG crew, "beginning" with the opening credits and "ending" with the final credits. Remember the tagline to STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY? "The battle for peace has begun..." Or, the tagline for INSURRECTION? "The battle for paradise has begun..." Did these respective battles pan out over two or three more films? No...these battles "began" with "Paramount Pictures Presents..." and "ended" within the same film, with the last frame of the end credits. If your implication is that NEMESIS marks the first entry of a WRATH/SEARCH/VOYAGE-type story arc, I have seen not a single story out of Paramount's/Rick Berman's offices that would corroborate that, while there have been umpteen numbers that have supported my conclusion (lest the profitability of NEMESIS scores off the map, and then of course, all previous bets are off in the name of the almighty $$$)...
Old 11-26-02, 02:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

I can't believe you two are arguing over the tag line.
Old 11-26-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Bandoman •<HR SIZE=1>I can't believe you two are arguing over the tag line. <HR SIZE=1>

I wouldn't call it "arguing." I've repeatedly maintained "IMO" and "to me" nomenclature only to be met with repeated use of "obviously." When you respect that the other has a point but don't receive the same in return, it's a pretty hollow discussion.

Anyway, while 2 separate films, I see a single journey between III and IV. They steal the Enterprise from Earth, go get Spock, stop off at Vulcan, and then return home. On the way home, they get sidetracked with the destruction of Earth, but it's just one round-trip. To me, the "and the journey continues" represents that the next film picks up precisely where that one left off ... with Kirk and Co. flying a Bird of Prey and hanging around on Vulcan. Now obviously this isn't the case, but it's the way I intrepreted it.

In any case, I can see it both ways. I, however, choose to believe it won't be the last TNG film.

das

P.S. "has begun" and "begins" are two different things.
Old 11-26-02, 03:13 PM
Banned

I've repeatedly maintained "IMO" and "to me" nomenclature only to be met with repeated use of "obviously." When you respect that the other has a point but don't receive the same in return, it's a pretty hollow discussion.

Sorry if I've ruffled your feathers, but I must admit, I do feel my angle on the tagline is correct, and I do not recognize that you have a valid point--but it's nothing personal, you know I dig you, guy. I argue the opinion, not he who gives the opinion.

Anyway, while 2 separate films, I see a single journey between III and IV. They steal the Enterprise from Earth, go get Spock, stop off at Vulcan, and then return home. On the way home, they get sidetracked with the destruction of Earth, but it's just one round-trip. To me, the "and the journey continues" represents that the next film picks up precisely where that one left off ... with Kirk and Co. flying a Bird of Prey and hanging around on Vulcan.

Then why was there not an "...and the adventure continues..." after WRATH OF KHAN?

Now obviously this isn't the case, but it's the way I intrepreted it.

Interesting admission from you. Though I agree "obviously this isn't the case", what convinced you of same?

In any case, I can see it both ways. I, however, choose to believe it won't be the last TNG film.

My heart sides with you, but my head is convinced otherwise (save, again, for unexpected success at the box office, which always seems to negate the words "never" and "last" )...

"has begun" and "begins" are two different things

Only in terms of tense...a trailer for a film which has not yet been released should refer to present-future tense, whereas a one-sheet release poster for a film that has been released should refer to present-past tense...
Old 11-26-02, 03:30 PM
Enormous Genitals

FWIW, I was confused by the tag line precisely because it doesn't indicate whether this film is itself the "final journey", or whether some story arc will begin in this film which will terminate the TNG storyline in some future film. Having some knowledge of the script (I won't post any spoilers), there appears to be some finality to this movie, but it also leaves the door open for future films.

The point of this thread was that I was disappointed (although not surprised) that Berman seemed to indicate that a decision was made re: another movie, not because of any particular story they wanted to tell, but simply because they thought they would make money.
Old 11-26-02, 03:32 PM
Banned

Just bring me Galaxy Quest 2. The first one was the best s"trek-like" space movie of the last 10 years.
Old 11-26-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Filmmaker •<HR SIZE=1>Sorry if I've ruffled your feathers, but I must admit, I do feel my angle on the tagline is correct, and I do not recognize that you have a valid point--but it's nothing personal, you know I dig you, guy. I argue the opinion, not he who gives the opinion.<HR SIZE=1>

Don't worry ... it doesn't upset me. But it does make for a hollow discussion. Believing your opinion to be correct is not the same as claiming it's obviously correct. The former states that you have a differing opinion, one you firmly believe. The latter states that those who disagree with you are either too blind or too stupid to see what's clearly in front of them and is an implied slam on "he who gives the opinion."

• Quoth Filmmaker •<HR SIZE=1>Then why was there not an "...and the adventure continues..." after WRATH OF KHAN?<HR SIZE=1>

Because it kills the effect of Spock's death and Nimoy's closing words.

• Quoth Filmmaker •<HR SIZE=1>Interesting admission from you. Though I agree "obviously this isn't the case", what convinced you of same?<HR SIZE=1>

Sorry about that ... I was mocking the implication that I was "obviously" wrong just because I didn't agree with you. No hard feelings.

• Quoth Filmmaker •<HR SIZE=1>My heart sides with you, but my head is convinced otherwise (save, again, for unexpected success at the box office, which always seems to negate the words "never" and "last" )...<HR SIZE=1>

It won't take unexpected success at the box office. Considering everything else being released this holiday season, I wouldn't imagine it having huge success anyway. There will be an 11th film regardless. I have no proof of this, but come find me in 2 years.

• Quoth Filmmaker •<HR SIZE=1>Only in terms of tense...<HR SIZE=1>

I don't see it as simply ... VI and IX speak to plot points that exist independent of the crew of the Enterprise. The battles for peace and paradise have begun, and the Enterprise will be there to save the day. They also continue on after the film is over, but the Enterprise is moving on to something else now. X speaks more toward something being initiated by this film as well as the legacy, not so much as plot. The final journey begins with this film. Maybe it also ends with this film, but it just as easily could be carry over to a second or third.

As I've said though, I see how and why you interpret it the way you do. To be completely honest, though, I'm baffled how you cannot see where I'm coming from ... even if you completely disagree.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-26-02 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 03:49 PM
Suspended

The next movie should be set around the new Enterprise show where the captain travels back in time and posesses other peoples bodies and makes them make better decisions in life to make the world a better place, and in the end the vulcan lady gets nekkid and has relations with a big mean klingon right there on the bridge in the captain's chair. the end.
Old 11-26-02, 04:07 PM
Banned

Don't worry ... it doesn't upset me. But it does make for a hollow discussion. Believing your opinion to be correct is not the same as claiming it's obviously correct. The former states that you have a differing opinion, one you firmly believe. The latter states that those who disagree with you are either too blind or too stupid to see what's clearly in front of them and is an implied slam on "he who gives the opinion."

Fair enough and, truth be told, probably dead-on accurate. Forgive, I've never been an adherent of political correctness. Contrary to some of my more dramatic statements, I do mean to debate only your opinion, not your intelligence or grasp of the so-called obvious. It does seem to me you are really reaching with much of your reasoning, guided more by emotion than reason (now how Vulcan was that sentence?!), but just because I think your point-of-view is built on a precarious faoundation, I recognize your right to it, and have continued this discussion because I found it to be anything but hollow--frustrating and elusive, but not hollow...

Because it kills the effect of Spock's death and Nimoy's closing words.

And here would be a prime example of "really reaching"...

Sorry about that ... I was mocking the implication that I was "obviously" wrong just because I didn't agree with you. No hard feelings.

He he...went right over my head...touche!

It won't take unexpected success at the box office. Considering everything else being released this holiday season, I wouldn't imagine it having huge success anyway. There will be an 11th film regardless. I have no proof of this, but come find me in 2 years.

I don't argue that it will be the last STAR TREK film (heaven forbid Paramount EVER walk away from this cash cow), simply that all factors point to it being the last TNG-specific film, and nothing in the press from Paramount/Berman even hints at a direct follow-up to NEMESIS in whatever filmed story may come...

I don't see it as simply ... VI and IX speak to plot points that exist independent of the crew of the Enterprise. The battles for peace and paradise have begun, and the Enterprise will be there to save the day. They also continue on after the film is over, but the Enterprise is moving on to something else now. X speaks more toward something being initiated by this film as well as the legacy, not so much as plot.

Well played, but you'll forgive me if I look through that purple prose to discover what appears to be a die-hard Trekker reading more into this tagline's wording than is really there, or intended to be there...

Maybe it also ends with this film, but it just as easily could be carry over to a second or third.

It could, but I'll bet you credits to navy beans it isn't...

To be completely honest, though, I'm baffled how you cannot see where I'm coming from ... even if you completely disagree.

I'm getting a much better sense of it now, but at the risk of repeating myself, it all smells of "pie in the sky" rhetoric and not so much a reasoned grasp of what the tagline is saying vis a vis what Paramount and Berman have been not-too-subtly hinting about the film for over a year now...

Originally posted by Bandoman:
I can't believe you two are arguing over the tag line.

STAR TREK fans have argued for 30+ years about minutiae that make this look like a discussion of the greatest political or philosophical importance in comparison...
Old 11-26-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, finally found out where Filmmaker has been hiding.

Hello boys!

Bear in mind that any comments I make are guesses and suppositions. I have no foreknowlege of the contents of the movie, only based on what I've seen in the trailers. I have stayed away from anything that tells me what's in the movie.

I think that this will be the last film with the entire TNG cast together as we know it now. I don't know how much interest Patrick has in coming back again, but given enough $$$$ anyone of them will.

Brent has said that that he is getting up there in years and since Data is not supposed to age, unless they find a work around for it, and hopefully not something too lame, my guess is they will kill the character. It appears as though Lore is in the movie as well. I wonder if they will kill them both off?

They could easily do a movie with a mix of casts, but if the content isn't interesting, I've had my fill of Trek. I've written of the last two series, so it won't be much to write of a lame movie as well.

Milk it 'til it's dry is an understatement.
Old 11-26-02, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by elektra:
Wow, finally found out where Filmmaker has been hiding.

Oh, for the most part, I've been lurking about, but avoiding posting due to my extreme lack of social deference, which you can observe above, LOL! Guess I just got a wild hair up my derriere this week...
Old 11-26-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lack of social deference?????
Old 11-26-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah ... a reunion of the minds (and Filmmaker)

I too wondered where you were hiding (like elektra hasn't been hiding ).

In all honesty, the first time I saw the teaser and heard them say "a generation's final journey begins ..." I immediately thought that meant multiple films, so it's not some random thing I made up because I want to believe it is so. You know how it is, though - if something sounds one way the first time, it's likely to always sound that way. Even now when I hear the phrase in my head (separated from all the voices speaking to me), that's how it sounds to me. Clearly, this viewpoint isn't widely shared, and maybe that phrasing wasn't intentional from Berman & Co., but it's the way it comes across to me. If anything, it sounds like a subtle hint that there's more to come; and if not, it's likely intentional double-talk to give them a way out if they want to make more.

Anyway, for your enjoyment, Filmmaker, I present to you this thread -- http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=253184 -- where I argue something even more inane than this current discussion. Have no fear, if I can convince you I'm right on this, I'll gladly switch sides and try to convince you you were wrong to be convinced by my previous argument.

das

P.S. I don't travel much, so the term "Trekker" doesn't describe me very well. I am, however, a die hard fan of the Star Trek franchise, so feel free to use the term "Trekkie" if desired.
Old 11-26-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Anyway, for your enjoyment, Filmmaker, I present to you this thread -- http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=253184 -- where I argue something even more inane than this current discussion. Have no fear, if I can convince you I'm right on this, I'll gladly switch sides and try to convince you you were wrong to be convinced by my previous argument.

You need to hold somebody's hand?
Old 11-26-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Hawk & Son •<HR SIZE=1>You need to hold somebody's hand? <HR SIZE=1>

You're no fun ... you gave up too easily.

das
Old 11-26-02, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by elektra:
Lack of social deference?????

Would "lack of social grace" be a little more clear?

Ah ... a reunion of the minds (and Filmmaker)

Yo mama...

Have no fear, if I can convince you I'm right on this, I'll gladly switch sides and try to convince you you were wrong to be convinced by my previous argument.

LOL! Pull that off and, amidst my frustration, I'll have to concede you're my hero!
Old 11-26-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watch out Filmmaker! I would square off with das. He's dangerous.

das - like you I have to hide sometimes or risking getting banned. But I digress....

One big favor they can do to us all, end Trek now!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.