Penn & Teller Bull****: War on Drugs, 4-22-04

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT:
America is waging a massive war on its home soil, a war it is losing. Our country spends $20 billion a year in drug enforcement, but the illegal drug industry is thriving. Should we even be waging this war, when alcohol is legal and pushed every night on network TV? By criminalizing drugs, we just turn non-violent citizens into criminals. And medicinal uses of marijuana are being blocked by crusading moralists yelling "family values."
This one should be good.

Another one that should be good coming next week: Recycling.

I love (most) of the topics they've been choosing this season.
Old 04-22-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonight's ep should be great.
Old 04-22-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This one and recycling sound fantastic. Looking forward to 'em.
Old 04-22-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When are they going to cover the Lakers. That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I've seen in a while.
Old 04-22-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, when they do Profanity on May 6th, can we type the word Bullshit without the astericks?

Old 04-22-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent show. While I always wish they could go into more depth, there's only so much you can do in a half hour.

One of the things I liked most about it is that while they covered many of the practical reasons for having drugs legal they never lost sight of, nor did they ever let the audience lose sight of the fact that the most important and overriding reason is freedom.
Old 04-22-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
Excellent show. While I always wish they could go into more depth, there's only so much you can do in a half hour.

One of the things I liked most about it is that while they covered many of the practical reasons for having drugs legal they never lost sight of, nor did they ever let the audience lose sight of the fact that the most important and overriding reason is freedom.
Agreed. I enjoyed it a lot, but the 30 minute format continues to be frustrating.
Old 04-23-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great show and ironically, despite me leaning to the conservative side of the spectrum, I've always been against the war on drugs and the reasons were well described on this show tonight.
Old 04-23-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, come on peole, where are the posts? I don't expect (or want) one of those full fledged 6 page long arguments about the drug war but I expected more responses than this. This was one of their best shows ever!
Old 04-23-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I reply every week but you ignore me

One thing I'd like to see P&T do is show annotations on the screen whenever they're spouting stats. There were a couple of times last night where statistics flashed across the screen with no mention of where those statistics came from. Some accountability would be nice, especially from a show that is debunking the lack of accountability of others.

The war on drugs is clearly not working and is a huge money pit that could be spent more efficiently in our own country.

Release all the drug traffickers and dealers and users from prison already. And harshen penalties for crimes committed against others while under the influence of narcotics.
Old 04-24-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Great episode. I'm keeping this saved on my Tivo so I can show other people who just like to assume that because the government says "drugs are bad mmm'kay" that it isn't necessarily the case.
Old 04-24-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was stoned and fell asleep early.

When do they repeat it?
Old 04-24-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dolphinboy
I was stoned and fell asleep early.

When do they repeat it?
Assuming your question is serious, here's the schedule:

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/schedule.do
Old 04-24-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• movielib •

OK, come on peole, where are the posts? I don't expect (or want) one of those full fledged 6 page long arguments about the drug war but I expected more responses than this. This was one of their best shows ever!
I actually thought it was pretty average. I wonder if people confuse excellence with agreeing on the position? I completely agree with Penn & Teller (and many on this forum) about the War on Drugs and our societal hypocrisy, but I didn't think it was particularly good on the "bullshit" factor. While they slipped some stuff in and the beginning and end, most of it was preaching marijuana decriminalization, which I certainly have little problem with, but that's not why I watch this show.

I also call "bullshit" on them. Stating that alcohol "leads to" some huge number of deaths and then comparing it to "no overdose deaths" from marijuana is crap. If you're going to nitpick other groups' hand-picked statistics (like you should), at least be upfront about your own. Either compare toxicity death stats or compare indirect death stats, but don't mix & match just to look better. I was also really disappointed that their "rebuttal" to the guy who said "no doctor" (clearly meaning medical) would support their claims was to bring out a PhD in Psychology. Hey, his opinion is valid and his story was interesting, and I have no doubt that there are many medical doctors who would support the claims, but again, it's similar tactics to what they criticize others for doing. Also, it's hard to take seriously a guy who says "marijuana is completely harmless," because that's bullshit too. Even if you discount the indirect effects, prolonged use (especially in youth) still has direct negative effects.

I guess I'm just really disappointed since I almost completely agree with their position on this issue: both on marijuana and the War on Drugs. But IMO their presentation was really lacking for such a great topic, and I'm not going to give them a free pass just because I agree with them. Though I've harped on the negatives (just to counterbalance the praise), it wasn't a bad show ... just average. Maybe it's a function of the 30-minute format, but they need to do a better job of supporting their own position, especially when (as El Scorcho notes) their purpose is to debunk others.

Is that what you wanted, movielib?

das
Old 04-25-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So Penn wasn't serious about never having had a sip of alcohol in his life right?
Old 04-25-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure he was.

das
Old 04-25-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
Is that what you wanted, movielib?

das
I was disappointed with the lack of any reaction. I wanted to hear what people thought.

And yes, I think all the shows are somewhat disappointing in that they don't say everything I'd like to hear. I do believe much of that is due to the 30 minute format.

As I said, I was more than a little pleased that they kept stressing and coming back to the freedom factor. Before the program aired I was not at all certain they would put so much emphasis on it. Unfortunately that factor is far too often ignored in arguments about this and many other subjects. That greatly contributed to my high opinion of the show.

Last edited by movielib; 04-25-04 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-25-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and I can't believe I just glossed over the points that das made while watching the show. I actually did notice the things he was talking about, but I just forgot about it when thinking about the show later. I especially noticed that alcohol versus marijuana deaths, and how it never stated that they were fatalities from literally drinking yourself to death. I guess I chose to focus on the freedom aspect the same as movielib.

Still it's nice to see such a big show at least make an attempt to cut through all the gov't propaganda out there. And I also don't do any drugs.
Old 04-25-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

As I said, I was more than a little pleased that they kept stressing and coming back to the freedom factor. Before the program aired I was not at all certain they would put so much emphasis on it. Unfortunately that factor is far too often ignored in arguments about this and many other subjects. That greatly contributed to my high opinion of the show.

That really is what the argument should come down to.

I agree - excellent episode, and it is just not because I agree with their position. They really laid out why the War is bullshit policy.

I particularly liked how they pointed out that while many point to pot as a gateway drug, nobody ever claims that alcohol or cigarettes are a gateway drug. Hypocrisy at its best.
Old 04-26-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DodgingCars
So, when they do Profanity on May 6th, can we type the word Bullshit without the astericks?

I saw that TV Tome said Profanity was going to be the subject on May 6 but according to the schedule on the Showtime Penn & Teller: Bullshit! website it's going to be:

The Bible
Old 04-26-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How on earth can they condense all the biblical bullshit into 30 minutes?

That's like trying to condense a whole encyclopedia set onto one 3x5 index card.
Old 04-26-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I saw that TV Tome said Profanity was going to be the subject on May 6 but according to the schedule on the Showtime Penn & Teller: Bullshit! website it's going to be:

The Bible

Episodes on Profanity and the Bible. Like I said a few weeks ago, they must have gotten a hold of my personal Bullshit list.
Old 04-26-04, 09:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Bible one ought to get them a letter or two. It might even spurn Mel Gibson to remake Penn and Teller Get Killed.
Old 04-26-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
The Bible one ought to get them a letter or two. It might even spurn Mel Gibson to remake Penn and Teller Get Killed.

I do think you meant to say spur though.
Old 04-26-04, 10:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

never saw the show before tonight. I gotta say i loved it. Honest, interesting and laugh out loud funny. Penn just cracks me up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.