Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spielberg to Direct Movie About 72 Olympic Terrorist Incident

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-21-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filmmaker Steven Spielberg (news), who won his first Oscar for the Holocaust drama "Schindler's List," has taken on another tragic moment in modern Jewish history as his next project -- the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Spielberg plans to start production in June and is eyeing actor Ben Kingsley (news) for a role in the upcoming drama, which will chronicle the Summer Games marred by the kidnapping and slaying of Israeli athletes by Palestinian militants, a DreamWorks studio spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

In all, 11 Israelis lost their lives in the bloody 1972 tragedy, including nine hostages killed in a botched rescue attempt at a military air base outside Munich, all while Olympics officials carried on with the competition. Five of the gunmen and a German policeman also died. Three of the militants were captured alive.

The specter of the massacre 32 years ago has haunted authorities in Greece preparing security for the upcoming Summer Olympics (news - web sites) in Athens amid heightened concerns of potential attacks by extremists linked to the al Qaeda terror network.

Details of the as-yet-untitled film have been kept shrouded in secrecy as Spielberg pins down European locations for the production, the studio spokeswoman said.

She said the screenplay will be written by Eric Roth, who won an Oscar for his "Forrest Gump" script and was nominated for "The Insider." The film is to be released domestically by Universal Pictures, a unit of Vivendi Universal, and overseen by Spielberg's home studio, DreamWorks SKG. No release date has been set.

It was not clear what role Kingsley might take. He previously co-starred in "Schindler's List," which earned Spielberg Academy Awards (news - web sites) for best picture and best director. Spielberg won his second directing Oscar for the World War II film, "Saving Private Ryan."

The Munich Olympics debacle also was the subject of the Oscar-winning documentary "One Day in September" (2000) as well as the 1976 television dramatization, "21 Hours at Munich."

Spielberg was last in theaters with the caper film "Catch Me If You Can" and his next movie, "The Terminal," starring Tom Hanks (news) as a Russian immigrant stranded in a U.S. airport, is due for release in June.

After finishing the Munich Olympics film, Spielberg plans to direct a project titled "The Rivals," followed by a big-screen adaptation of H.G. Wells' alien invasion tale, "War of the Worlds," starring Tom Cruise (news), Daily Variety reported.
Old 04-21-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting. Count me in. I've thorougly enjoyed a great deal of Spielberg's work, and I don't see how this would be any different.
Old 04-21-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm there too...although I'm worried about "Terminal" - looks kind of cornball.

I guess Steven's pretty tied up with projects for the next two or three years...bad news for "Indiana Jones" fans.
Old 04-21-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so i wonder if the terrorists killing the jews will be the closing portion of the movie... or if Mossad agents hunting down and assassinating every single terrorist they even thought might have been associated with that terrorist act will be....

j
Old 04-21-04, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could see this as being a film with a great potential to inflame and piss off Palastinians. Not that Spielberg (or myself) really give to shits if they're offended.

One Day in September fired up all these Palastinian sympathizers who have the nerve to complain that the documentary is one sided and makes no effort to show the Palastinian point of view. Because apparantly there is a point of view that would make the taking and execution of innocent civilian hostages justified.

I hope they get John Voight to play Howard Cosell
Old 04-21-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the group that came off the worse in "One Day in September" were the coward idiot West Germans. Hell they even staged a hijacking so they could release those bastard terrorrists.
Old 04-21-04, 05:59 PM
Banned

glad Speilberg is going back to hopefully a hardass flick!
Old 04-21-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
While I am interested as to how this will look, the material looks like it's going to be one big emotional downer from start to finish. Knowing Spielberg, he will fully explore the background of each hostage before having them murdered. Not that it's bad, just dark.
Old 04-21-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How is Speilberg making this if the terrorists were Palestinian, not Nazis?
Old 04-21-04, 06:08 PM
Banned

damn it...I want Speilberg to do a dark picture...Im quite happy about this!
Old 04-21-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
How is Speilberg making this if the terrorists were Palestinian, not Nazis?
Almost four hours for this post? You're slipping...
Old 04-21-04, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by jekbrown
so i wonder if the terrorists killing the jews will be the closing portion of the movie... or if Mossad agents hunting down and assassinating every single terrorist they even thought might have been associated with that terrorist act will be....

j
Becaue depicting the killing of Palestinians is all the rage nowadays....
Old 04-21-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Almost four hours for this post? You're slipping...
Sorry I had school........or um....SS Youth meetings.
Old 04-21-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the source of the original story? That isn't mentioned in the post anywhere.
Old 04-21-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
What's the source of the original story? That isn't mentioned in the post anywhere.
I saw it on Yahoo Entertainment News earlier today, I don't know if he's pulling it
Old 04-21-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Sorry I had school........or um....SS Youth meetings.
Well, that's certainly excusable. Reciting those long passages from The Turner Diaries can be so exhilerating, time just flies by!

Oh, and
Old 04-21-04, 09:22 PM
Banned

I'll see anything Spielberg does. He has a commendable and impressive filmography and is actually doing some of his most riskiest work at this stage in his career.
Old 04-21-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've been interested in this story ever since I saw the Olympic Stadium in Munich and my dad told me about what happened during those Olympics. This news about Spielberg is very intriguing.
Old 04-21-04, 09:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mel Gibson's dad has already denounced this film, saying there's no proof that any Israelis actually died.
Old 04-21-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Closing thread - just a couple posts and already completely off topic. Please feel free to reopen...but please people...keep it ON TOPIC.