Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Shane MacGowan Assaulted in London Pub

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Dear God, I hope they didn't mess up his teeth...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...le_macgowan_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - Former Pogues singer Shane MacGowan (news) suffered facial injuries after being assaulted by two men in a central London pub, police sources said Wednesday.

MacGowan, 46, was taken to the nearby St. Thomas' Hospital, but did not stay for treatment.

The Evening Standard newspaper reported that MacGowan suffered a fractured cheekbone after being kicked, punched and hit with a metal bar.

Police said they were not aware of any motive for the attack, which happened Monday.

Two men, aged 20 and 21, were arrested and later released on police bail.

The wild-living Anglo-Irish singer left the Pogues in 1991. He has performed since with his own backing band, the Popes.
Old 04-21-04, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
why does this not surprise me.
Old 04-21-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shane MacGowan Assaulted in London Pub

Originally posted by Quatermass
Dear God, I hope they didn't mess up his teeth tooth...
fixed

I am sure that is had nothing to do with him being drunk in any way shape or form.

Hopefully he will be ok, but goddamn I didn't realize he was only 46 , it makes sense, but the way he looks now made me think he was a fair amount older.
Old 04-21-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Screw you guys. I wanted to make the "tooth" joke.

Anyway, here it is:

"I hope his tooth didn't get knocked out."
Old 04-21-04, 06:35 PM

If you go to his website, it seems that there has been a lot of controversey regarding his manager and the fact that he has missed so many gigs. Even his father is involved in the whole mess and his website is pissed off at him.
Old 04-21-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok dunno if that's before or after the fight but here goes...

That would make a good ad for Crest Whitestrips.
Old 04-22-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by Scorpio
If you go to his website, it seems that there has been a lot of controversey regarding his manager and the fact that he has missed so many gigs. Even his father is involved in the whole mess and his website is pissed off at him.
That's why they say he got thrown out of the Pogues (although Shaney Mac claims HE left THEM). They said if he showed up for a gig at all, he would be an hour late, curse at the audience about starving children, then sing 2 or 3 songs and leave. It left them in an awkward position, because people would ask for their money back, even though the band had performed. They quickly got the reputation of being unreliable and bad for business, so they stopped getting bookings.
Old 04-22-04, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone seen the recent DVD ( I THINK it's recent)he put out? I've been hearing great things about it.
Old 04-23-04, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
Has anyone seen the recent DVD ( I THINK it's recent)he put out? I've been hearing great things about it.
I believe it is the same thing I saw on Sundance or IFC one night a while back. I didn't get to watch a lot of it, but what I saw of it was pretty good. I was surprised since I hadn't really thought about Shane MacGowan in a long time (since probably early-mid nineties) and I was shocked at what he has become. It was sad though too, seeing the footage of Kirsty MacColl
Old 04-23-04, 01:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
This documentary came out on DVD last year. I bought it and wasn't expecting all that much and was very pleasantly surprised.

There are clips of the other Pogues talking about Shane, clips of Shane in his present state of intoxication/sobriety mumbling words of wisdom, clips of Shane's parents and girlfriend talking about Shane, and clips of Shane performing with the Pogues in the past--all in glorious 5.1 sound with a very nice transfer to boot.

If you're a Pogues fan, you'll no doubt enjoy it. If you're not, you might become a Pogues fan from this. You might not become a fan because you might not understand what's so wonderful about this drunken sod and his music. In which case, you'll need to investigate the Pogues CDs and see if they win you over.