DVD Talk
American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow" [Archive] - Page 2 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Pages : 1 [2]

BDLOU
04-22-04, 04:03 PM
I think this thread is more entertaining than the show.

Yo Dog...It was aiiight for me, Paula?
Great job guys, just great. Simon?
If I can be Totally honest, I think the font is just too big for this competion. (Crowd Boo's) What??? I do.

Kal-El
04-22-04, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by BDLOU

If I can be Totally honest, I think the font is just too big for this competion. (Crowd Boo's) What??? I do.

rotfl rotfl rotfl
Best. Post. Ever. (in this thread anyway)

gettinbranded
04-22-04, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by BDLOU

:lol:

Talking to scorched:

:brickwl:

Gil Jawetz
04-22-04, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by gettinbranded
There's something you guys may not know about me. I smoke rock.

Interesting...

;)

maiana
04-22-04, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I'll ask again. Who called this week, and were any of those calls for Jennifer?

I voted for Jennifer! I voted around 10:45 est and had no problem getting through.

For everyone saying that contestants should get kicked off early so better to get started on their album earlier: I read on several websites that AI hopefull Lisa Leuschner (my favorite contestant until she was not allowed to sing on the wildcard show) has had many offers since her appearances on AI but cannot sign any deals for the next year as she has contractual obligations to AI. If SHE has contractual obligations I would imagine that the final 12 certainly do so they wouldn't be able to get started on anything until their contracts were up.

Regarding news about AI alumni: My fav last year, Vanessa Olivarez (I sure can pick 'em can't I, I also loved Frenchie Davis) has already released a number one single in Canada and is staring in the Toronto production of Hairspray. http://www.vanessaolivarez.org/

maiana
04-22-04, 05:49 PM
whoops, just saw that someone else brought up the contractual obligation thing. Sorry for the repetition.

guywall
04-22-04, 06:40 PM
My thoughts, for what it is worth:
I like John Stevens. That being said, he should have gone last week or this week. Even his expressions show he wants to get off the show.

Every week he is slammed by the judges and vilified for something he has no control over (America's voting). Short of him saying, "America, I'm done for now. Please don't vote for me," I don't see how the desire by many to keep him on will fade. He's gainging the underdog status and even if he sang WAY off key and was booed, he may still even make it.
I feel for him though. He's got a good voice and will make some money in 5 years, but I think he wants to run and hide for now.

Groucho
04-22-04, 10:37 PM
Midwest Storms May Have Spurred Shock 'Idol' Exit

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The shock exit from "American Idol" of Jennifer Hudson, one of the strongest wannabe pop stars, may have been due in part to tornadoes in the Midwest that stopped devoted supporters from voting for her, Extra reported on Thursday.

Hudson, considered among the best of the seven remaining finalists, was voted off the popular FOX TV show on Wednesday in what organizers said was one of the closest votes in "American Idol" history.

The syndicated TV entertainment newsmagazine Extra said that storms leading to a power outage in Hudson's Chicago hometown meant that some 15,000 fans were unable to watch Tuesday's performances or phone in their votes afterward,

Randy Jackson, one of the three "Idol" judges, told Extra in an interview that the power outage could have been a problem with Hudson's hometown votes.

"It was the closest votes ever in the season but I don't know if that was enough," Jackson said, describing Hudson's departure, which visibly upset several of the other finalists, as "crazy," "nuts" and "insane." But he added; "From this point on, one great person will go out a week."

The current third season of "American Idol," in which viewers vote by phone for their favorite singer, has been one of the most watched shows on U.S. television, attracting some 26 million viewers per episode. The two-part finale is scheduled for May 25 and 26.

FOX Television is part of the Fox Entertainment Group Inc., controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Ltd.

Link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20040423/en_nm/leisure_idol_dc)

moocher
04-23-04, 12:52 AM
If the voting was for who you wanted off the show, yes Red would be gone and JPL would have gone sooner BUT, I guarantee you that Fantasia would also have been long gone by now. So maybe that's not the solution either. While I can't stand Fantasia, she has more talent than many of this year's top 12.

Voting for who you like, she will probably be around for the top 5. If voting people off, she may not have made the top 10. Besides that, they get to announce that 20 some odd million votes were cast every week. The total would be a fraction of that with negative voting.

As long as ratings remain high, I doubt they change anything. Even this week's fiasco probably did nothing but add to the interest in the show - and probably some more viewers. HOWEVER, if John Stevens actually won (which I'm sure they are worried about), it might not kill the show but I think it would do it serious harm.

johnglass
04-23-04, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Groucho
Link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&e=3&u=/nm/20040423/en_nm/leisure_idol_dc)

That article can't be true, it mentions nothing about the rampant racism that is so evident in the AI voting. :rolleyes:

Patman
04-23-04, 01:28 AM
I'm telling ya, instituting a "1 phone number, 1 vote" policy would solve a lot of the problems.

RichC2
04-23-04, 03:22 AM
Who should be voted off "American Idol" next?
63725 responses
John Stevens 83%

Who do you think will be the eventual winner of "American Idol" this season?
63825 responses

Fantasia Barrino 25%
LaToya London 55%

heh, gotta love contradiction

Jadzia
04-23-04, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Patman
I'm telling ya, instituting a "1 phone number, 1 vote" policy would solve a lot of the problems.

Maybe they could start an electoral college. :D

See who wins the red & blue states. ;)

iggystar
04-23-04, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by das Monkey
No problem.

Simon hates fat girls, Randy's partial to blacks, and Paula's tone deaf. Is this really a better solution?

das

Wow, I just had someone tell me that Randy is partial to the white singers....hmmmm.

Y2K Falcon
04-23-04, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by moocher
If the voting was for who you wanted off the show, yes Red would be gone and JPL would have gone sooner BUT, I guarantee you that Fantasia would also have been long gone by now.
Yeahhh... Yeaaaahhh.. Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!! :banana:

Patman
04-23-04, 09:57 AM
I think Red could win the black & blue states.

raven56706
04-23-04, 10:06 AM
there are alot of articles circulating around the internet in regards to racism and the storm causing problems....

Look sorry Jennifer hudson but you lost..... face it...... its over. People should just get over it and if you want Red to lose then do something about it. Vote for another contestant.

A freaking storm the cause of the idol exit.... give me a break..... George Huff is still around and so is Fantasia and Latoya.... and Diana...

Maybe John Stevens sucks( which he does for this type of genre of music but for harry Conick Jr music.... he is great) but he is still here because some people think he is good..... its everyone's opinion....

Like i said... you dont like the results..... then vote... if not..... face it...Latoya is going to win anyways.

Jadzia
04-23-04, 10:19 AM
Yeah, if Jennifer Hudson didn't lose then Fantasia would have. The storm may have hurt her in the "diva battle" but it wouldn't have meant that Red, Diana or Jasmine would have gone away instead.

I wish Hawaii would get a bad storm on Tuesday night. :lol:

Jeraden
04-23-04, 10:33 AM
CNN has an article up now about the weather/racism/etc regarding the voting.

I think the whole thing is stupid really, and it kind of ticks me off. One of the main reasons the show is popular is because they let the audience vote for people. Then they get on and chastize us for voting the way we do. Thats no way to get us to change our minds. If I was a voter, I'd even be more inclined to continue to vote for the people they deem as inferior.

I haven't been voting this season, as I don't really care for any of the contestants. I'd never want to listen to them outside of the show. I'm not even sure why I watch it to be honest, I just I have just gotten in the habit. But if I were to have voted, I'd have voted for JPL. Why? Sure, he's not a great singer, and probably not even a great performer, but he was entertaining and never boring and I guess the closest thing to the type of music I listen to. The "Diva" type singers just make me yawn, they are totally uninteresting. I have zero interest in that type of singing. Now that JPL is gone, my vote would go to John Stevens. He's the most non-choiry type singer left. Sort of like Clay from last season who I did repeatedly vote for. I'd have to imagine I'm not alone in my feelings. So for all those that wonder how people like John Stevens or JPL get votes, its because of people like me.

Rogue588
04-23-04, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Jadzia
Yeah, if Jennifer Hudson didn't lose then Fantasia would have. The storm may have hurt her in the "diva battle" but it wouldn't have meant that Red, Diana or Jasmine would have gone away instead.She's on Good Day Live now trying to sell that theory. -rolleyes-

Does anyone have the vote tally for the three that night?

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:15 PM
One of the main reasons the show is popular is because they let the audience vote for people. Then they get on and chastize us for voting the way we do.

I understand what you're saying.

But when they handed out the power to vote, they expected it to be used on the best singers...not merely who entertained people. Hung, if you recall, is entertaining people too.

THEY have a interest too--in having the winner be able to produce an album that people will actually want to buy.

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by raven56706

A freaking storm the cause of the idol exit.... give me a break.....

I share your skepticism. But there were tornados here that night. 8 people were killed.

I live in Chicago, and I can say that she didn't have the following or interest that Bill, the winner from the Apprentice did.

BUT--she did have a following. Frontpage on the two major dailies.

And Chicago is one of the top 5 population bases in the states. I haven't read the CNN article, but maybe the Idol people looked at the phone records and saw the calls from Illinois were way down? Is that possible?

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:29 PM
This will blow everyones mind:

"It would be wrong to say that the judges' opinions on the show, when it's right in front of peoples' noses, don't have an effect, because they do," "American Idol" executive producer Ken Warwick said. "But generally speaking, I don't think overall it has that much of an effect."

So what then is the purpose for the judges, who are often the most mocked element of the show, whether it's Jackson's "yo, dawg" lingo or Abdul's clapping?

It seems that while America might not listen to the judges, at least the contestants do.
--
While Cowell's criticisms are met with surprisingly open ears and Paula's support has been widely appreciated, this season's eliminated contestants consider Jackson the most helpful judge.

"He brings things to your attention," Adams said.

"[His advice] got me through to the next round," Rogers said. "I wish I would have followed it again."
--
As for his popularity, Jackson is quick to explain.

"First of all, I'm a musician and a producer and Simon's not," he said. "The main difference is that if people really listen, and I'm not sure they listen that intently, but if you listen really closely, I usually make really interesting comments about the vocal style, the pitch, the range, all of this, because at the same time I'm telling them what they did wrong, I'm trying to pinpoint what can help them the next time, if there is a next time. ... My thing is always like a two-hand kind of a thing. It's a diss, but it's also, 'Hey, here are the mistakes you made.' Not just, 'You were horrible.' "

Really interesting.

Read the whole thing if you're interested. It's here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1486477/20040420/index.jhtml?headlines=true

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:32 PM
LaToyas hometown isn't supporting her:

http://www.timesstar.com/Stories/0,1413,125~1549~2103178,00.html
(scroll down)

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:34 PM
Al Qaeda involved?
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s4i3024

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:37 PM
Even Red?

"We went backstage and all the contestants were upset and in tears," host Ryan Seacrest said on "Extra."

I do feel for the Jasmine, Red and Diana---caught in the middle of this mess. It will only worse if a diva gets tossed again next week.

If they win, they should be able to enjoy it.

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:40 PM
Kathy Wiesner is through with ``American Idol.'' An avid fan of Fox's hit reality show, she reached a turning point Wednesday night when the thin-voiced John Stevens received more votes from the American public than Jennifer Hudson, a powerhouse talent who, despite the praise of the celebrity judges, was eliminated from the competition.

``I'm totally disgusted,'' said Wiesner, 44, a technical writer in Marblehead. ``This show is supposed to be about talented singing, but it's clear now that it's just a popularity contest and that most of the voters are 10-year-old girls. I'm not watching it anymore.''
--
On the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner morning radio show, the contest was a hot topic yesterday, said co-host Sybil Wilkes. The program received more than 100 phone calls (twice the usual number) from viewers complaining about the results.

``There was not one person who said `I'm so glad John Stevens stayed,''' Wilkes said.
--
But for viewers such as Linda Pitler, 48, a registered nurse in Randolph, the process is too frustrating. ``It's impossible to get through. I've tried three or four times, and it's always busy,'' she said yesterday.

But Pitler's son Marc says his Randolph High School classmates find text messaging easier. And they support Stevens, the youngest contestant at 16.

``A lot of kids have been saying that John Stevens is cute, and we should all vote for him,'' Marc Pitler said. ``In a society where popularity is determined by attraction, that's driving the competition.''

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2004/04/23/idol_voting_turns_off_many_viewers/

ChrisHicks
04-23-04, 12:45 PM
does this show have some sort of conspiracy every season or what? I still think aliens are fixing the votes.

edit: maybe the judges should just come out and directly tell us to vote for and who not to vote for. I know I really need someone to tell me who I should/shouldn't like as a singer.

Groucho
04-23-04, 12:45 PM
Suggestion: instead of posting multiple comments one right after the other, why not save them all up and put them together. At least once an hour or something.

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
Suggestion: instead of posting multiple comments one right after the other, why not save them all up and put them together. At least once an hour or something.

Sorry...as I read the news I just post the articles I find.

In the future I'll attach them to one message...providing said message won't be too long.

iggystar
04-23-04, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Jeraden
But if I were to have voted, I'd have voted for JPL. Why? Sure, he's not a great singer, and probably not even a great performer, but he was entertaining and never boring and I guess the closest thing to the type of music I listen to.

Exactly what type of music do you listen to? I listen to just about every genre of music out there. If you can't really sing, shouldn't you be able to dance (Britney)? If you can't really dance, shouldn't you be able to sing (Celine)? Say you don't have that diva, powerhouse sound and you don't dance shouldn't you be able but you carry a nice tune (Sheryl Crowe)? All of these artists are in my collection, all with different abilities but there is something talented about each.

The diva, choir sound is not for everyone, I know this, but JPL and Jon Stevens have not offered a good alternative. Clay, while not my cup of tea, could sing. I understood his following, even though he was not to my liking (and I like and own all kinds of music, rock, pop, country, R&B, jazz).

To me even if a musical style is not what you personally listen to or like you can still appreciate talent, and see when there is none. I think too many people are thinking, well I don't like R&B so I don't like so-and-so, but I do like Red because he sings in the style I'm used to. To me that's not a fair judging of talent.

Just my opinion, I don't think it was time for Jennifer to go, but she wasn't my favorite. And the bottom line, she made it this far and has a powerful voice and now the exposure. I'm sure she'll find someone who wants to sign her. Although the ultimate goal is to become the American Idol but those with true talent will still have a career.

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by iggystar
Although the ultimate goal is to become the American Idol but those with true talent will still have a career.

I don't think not being the AI has hurt Clay one bit. :D

raven56706
04-23-04, 01:03 PM
here is the spoof of terrorists behind the American idol problem...

A dastardly terrorist scheme to control the outcome of Fox Television's popular American Idol competition was revealed by the CIA and the FBI this morning. As an example of President Bush's new law enforcement intercommunication directive, an intense dual-agency investigation was mounted early last week, focusing on terrorism in the US entertainment industry.*

In light of mounting public suspicions, more than a dozen agents from the FBI with the assistance of the CIA's top research technicians - manned with two very modern computers, analyzed the vote count of the most recent American Idol results and concluded that the final tallies were in fact a result of 'fiddled and lopsided' voting.

Additionally, several anonymous calls were received at Fox Television's Corporate headquarters in Guantanamo, Cuba, suggesting that Al Qaeda was behind the confusing phone-in voting results of the last four shows. Tapes of the conversations further revealed a plot to undermine the spirit of the American public by means of electronically manipulating mass text messaging, with the ultimate goal being to vote contestant, John Stevens, 'your next American Idol'.

More detailed analysis of the phone records did in fact show that a large block of the voting seems to be coming from a single source, that, at this time, is yet to be determined. FBI director, Robert Mueller, did indicate a possible mobile location, but hasn't ruled out the possibility of "young minds being manipulated by the charms of social deception. I'm speculating that Osama bin Laden not only has bad taste in music, but has enough evil intelligence to entice our youth into rebelling against a true American Institution." [The American Idol Competition]

Sixteen year old John Stevens, whose talent is considered by most to be mediocre at best, was informed of this late breaking news by American Idol resident psychiatrist, Dr. Biff Henderson, and issued a statement to the press just moments later. He said, "Being a Proud American, and of sound mind and general pleasant appearance, I don't see any reason for me to continue being the pawn of this alleged plot. I thought something was fishy from the very beginning. At first I considered, well, those little girls really like me, and they do know how to use a phone, but oooh, shit, if Osama's henchmen are voting for me....yuck! Besides, I'm now resigned to the fact that I do, in fact, look like Stan Laurel and have been offered a lucrative deal by Jack Black's agent to co-star [with Jack as Oliver Hardy] in the upcoming remake of Broke and Boring."

The young and cheerfully worried Stevens concluded his formal statement with, "Being an honest and 'rebored' Christian, I'd like to publicly apologize to my fellow American Idol contestant, Jennifer Hudson; She's got more talent in her fingernail extensions than I have in my entire pasty white face. It's a shame that evil has influenced this sacred competition."

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 01:08 PM

raven56706
04-23-04, 01:10 PM
Listen sorry(I know how bad that was and it sucks for the people to have died) but one city isnt going to change the fact that more people voted for John, George, Latoya, Diana, Jasmine, and Fantasia than Jennifer Hudson. If it emerges that John outdid the rest of the group... then we have a problem. Maybe they should implement a rule that you can only call once.

Sorry..... it may have sucked that she got let go but the whole choir song thing isnt everyone's cup of tea. Fantasia was at first the only one told...."your going to be a superstar"..... now she sucks... But just because she yells her music doesnt make her a star....

John does suck but America votes... and the outcome is what we saw....

Clay is the most successful American Idol contestant so far passing Ruben studdard and Kelly with records sold.... Hey Jennifer still has a chance.... lets see what happens...

Jadzia
04-23-04, 01:12 PM
Maybe next season on 24 Jack Bauer can deal with a terrorist American Idol voting scheme.

"We don't have more time!"

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by raven56706
Listen sorry(I know how bad that was and it sucks for the people to have died) but one city isnt going to change the fact that more people voted fo

If might have been Fantasia instead of Jennifer.

It was the closest in history, Seacrest said..

Then we'd have the same problem, though, right?

raven56706
04-23-04, 02:11 PM
why not george???? its just stupid i tell you........ everyone is whinning.... blah blah blah.... you win some and you lose some..... but you live to see another day

briank
04-23-04, 03:26 PM
:lol: at this thread.

mcbg1 OMG!!11!!1!

and From Justin to Kelly got ripped off on an Oscar as well........
it's all a conspiracy.

gettingbranded, how can you deny that Randy IS NOT biased?
It's painfully obvious.

And my favorite two are Latoya and Huff (can't stand Fantasia).

bralph
04-23-04, 03:31 PM
This thread, along with all the other uproar over this show, is enough for me to get one of those speed dialers to ensure ultimate victory for Red.

Da Thrilla
04-23-04, 03:36 PM
Go George!

*leaves thread*

Groucho
04-23-04, 03:38 PM
omg i voted for teh fantasia cuz her daughter is cute and with little baby she need money the most.

raven56706
04-23-04, 03:48 PM
fantasia has a kid...wow....... well with those lips why not...

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by briank

gettingbranded, how can you deny that Randy IS NOT biased?
It's painfully obvious.

Go back one page and look over my posts.

The white eliminated contestants said Randy was the most helpful of all three judges.

What you see as bias, they (and everyone else) saw merely as constructive criticism.

Ever stopped to think that, irrespective of race, their talent lended itself to a bit more criticism?

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by bralph
This thread, along with all the other uproar over this show, is enough for me to get one of those speed dialers to ensure ultimate victory for Red.

Sure, make them change the show for next season.

MJKTool
04-23-04, 04:52 PM
Anyone else think Red will win this year?

Groucho
04-23-04, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
Anyone else think Red will win this year? Not a chance.

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 05:14 PM

I hope so.

Honestly.

MrR0boto
04-23-04, 05:20 PM

I'm beginning to hope so also. The looks on the judges faces would be priceless. And with this kind of continuing controversy, we could see more episode threads push 6 pages (well, 12 pages including all of gettinbranded's posts ;))

chowderhead
04-23-04, 05:21 PM
I liked Jennifer Hudson. I would have been happy to see her win the whole thing. But if she received the lowest number of votes, she should go home. People who didn't vote for the three divas .. that is their right - who cares, it is just a show for jeebus' sake.
People vote for whoever they want. WTF ....
Those are the rules - person with the lowest vote count goes home. I don't want this to be like survivor where the rules get changed for no good reason but to create more drama.
I don't like how they pimped fantasia's child on Tuesday. I'll bet the producers knew she was in the lower quarter and tried to massage the vote by letting her sing last and bringing her baby onstage - something no one has done this season a'la niki mckiben.

PLEASE SEND FANTASIA PACKING next week, I want anybody but her to win. Thank you

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 05:35 PM
The reason I want red to win is that I'm HONESTLY curious now what he'd do without all the pressure, with more than a weeks time to prepare, with the full undivided attention of a voice coach and producer.

That and the great comedy that his winning would bring in commentary from the media.

Fantasia? We'll hear from her again. Like I've said elsewhere, she'll still be doing this 30 years from now.

Jennifer? We'll here from her again as well. She improved so rapidly, and had such range. Her early boot has made her a star in Chicago---with everyone from Oprah to the local DJ's volunteering their money and influence to get her everything she needs to take it to the next level.

LaToya? Quite likely.

George? Maybe.

It's all decided already. The only thing is the speed of it happening. Iff America doesn't want to see them on the show--thats democracy, and thats America, and I guess that will have to do. I'll just enjoy the CD's and MP3's from the show, head back to my iPod, and wait for their albums and wait for next season. It sucks, but thats life.

The owner of the site will miss me. He liked all the pageviews and eyeballs I generated for him and his ads by posting so many times. :lol:

DaveNinja
04-23-04, 05:41 PM
Teen Martin will win. I found an easy way to vote many time for him. I set up an old computer with a 2400 baud modem to call his number over and over for each of the two 2 hour voting windows. I average about 4 calls a minute since it usually ends up making about 250-300 calls every tuesday. A couple friends thought this was pretty cool so i'm going to set them up as well. put a to use those old crappy modems.
I guess i better way to do it would be to have free text messaging and write a macro for a fancy cell phone that would just keep sending in the text message over and over. you could probably get one out ever second or two resulting in 3000-7000 votes in a 2 hour block.

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by DaveNinja
Teen Martin will win. I found an easy way to vote many time for him. I set up an old computer with a 2400 baud modem to call his number over and over for each of the two 2 hour voting windows. I average about 4 calls a minute since it usually ends up making about 250-300 calls every tuesday.

:jawdrop:

How many get through, vs. how many being busy?

MJKTool
04-23-04, 05:59 PM
I'm rooting for Red at this point, only because I want to see the fall out afterwards :D

Y2K Falcon
04-23-04, 06:10 PM
About as likely as the Lakers' chances. -rolleyes-

gettinbranded
04-23-04, 06:12 PM

He's gonna do it, huh?

MJKTool
04-23-04, 06:16 PM

Hot damn its gonna be funny when Red wins then!!!

Fok
04-23-04, 08:07 PM
I doubt Red will win, I hoping its going to be Jasime.....I think she's pretty cute......oh yeah, its a singing contest right? ;)

big whoppa
04-24-04, 01:03 AM
Guys, AI is just a show. Everyone is so worked up on the politics.

gettinbranded
04-24-04, 08:55 AM
Jennifer Hudson, a 22-year-old cruise singer from Chicago, was "American Idol" judge Randy Jackson's choice from the wild-card round to join the final 12, and she made him proud with performances the judges felt got better each week. Hudson even earned the most votes one week, which made her elimination all the more surprising.

Q: Your departure is being compared to Tamyra Gray's as the most shocking in "American Idol" history. There have been all sorts of theories, from a power outage in Chicago to a racial divide. What do you think of some of these theories and do you have a theory of your own?

Jennifer Hudson: Who knows? Nobody knows what really happened, but I feel like whatever it is, it was meant to be. Right now, everybody's just trying to make sense of all this, so there's a lot of stuff thrown out there. But I don't think we'll ever know. ... I don't think it was based on talent, but if it was, I was robbed.

Q: Has anyone told you they couldn't get through because of a power outage?

Hudson: I have a lot of brothers and sisters and ... five of them had their phones completely go out. My mother's phone went out and she didn't want to tell me so I wouldn't worry about not getting any votes. She told me there was a tornado in Chicago on Tuesday, but it didn't occur me to that duh, the lines might be out, people can't vote. You know what, though, I feel like that storm was a sign from God that it was time to remove me. And when he got something to say, I ain't got nothing to say about it.

Q: Everyone seemed so in shock. What did the other contestants say to you?

Hudson: I was comforting everyone. They're crying and I'm like, "Why you crying? There's no need to cry." I feel like I did what I came to do. There's no need to be sad. I swear when they called my name I don't think anybody was breathing in the room.

Complete 'Idol' Coverage

Q: What did John Stevens say to you?

Hudson: He was like, "It should have been me." He always says that every week. But I don't think he should feel that way. He deserves to be there just as much as me or anybody else. We all feel he deserves to be there. He has fans just like we do and obviously they're voting. Instead of pointing fingers at him, [fans] should take heed to what his fans are doing and vote.

Q: The word "diva" sometimes carries a certain connotation with it. Do you think being referred to as "the three divas" with Fantasia and La Toya hurt your chances?

Hudson: Actually, I normally have a problem with the term "diva" but I think if anything, that gave us more attention. Long before "American Idol" people used to call me a diva. And I be like, "Hold on, are you calling me something else on the sly? You gonna call me a diva, call me a good diva." So somebody made up the name "The Good Diva." I'm a good person, I don't have a lot of demands, so call me the Good Diva.

Q: It was clear the three of you thought you were in the safe group. What went through your mind when you found out the opposite was true?

Hudson: It's funny now that I think about it, 'cause everybody thought we were safe and we did too. It was like, "What, are you serious?" That was a shocker, but finding out I was the one who was eliminated was not shocking at all. Not because I don't think I did a good job, because I know I did, but I never received any props or accolades from any of the judges and they always gave me a hard time, so it wasn't an easy ride for me at all. I wasn't pissed, it was just like, "Here we go with the games once again. Man, they don't stop." To be honest, I was very fed up with it, which is why I was relieved that I was eliminated. If I can't be appreciated where I'm at, then let me go.

Q: Who will you be rooting for?

Hudson: For me, my American Idol is George Huff. That's just my personal opinion. He is someone everyone should know.

gnradd21
04-24-04, 06:19 PM
It may be a talent contest, but you have to like the people, and I didn't like Jennifer Hudson all that much. Image isn't everything, but it is one important part of a good pop idol. I liked Kelly, Clay, and Ruben. Jennifer always seemed to have too much of a chip on her shoulder, this diva attitude which I can barely tolerate even if the person can really sing. She almost acted like she could care less if people liked her or not. Her voice was ok, but not nearly as strong as some of the other women from this and past seasons (La Toya, Fantasia, Kelly, Tamyra). I'm not going to rant about her bug-eyed stares or that ugly dress from one of the early episodes, beause those aren't important. But I do think the reason she got the fewest votes was less for her voice and more for her personality. She wasn't as abrasive and loudmouthed as Fantasia can be, but she wasn't doing much to make people want to root for her either. At least, not me.

Plus, I think she lost some votes by naming Sister Act 2 as her favorite movie. :lol:

Fantasia is hard to define for me. Her voice and attitude have irritated me at times, but I do acknowledge that she can sing. I think her tears in the "Summertime" performance fooled some people into thinking it was better than it really was, though. After Randy overhyped it, I went back and watched it. Nope, still didn't move me in any way. It was aiight (wus up, Randy, how you doin'? :D), but I actually like some of her other performances much better. Her last three have been my least favorite. And whoever decided to speed up and churchify "It's a Miracle" was smoking some of the funky stuff (sorry, Manilow, if it was your idea). It just didn't work for me, and I was ready for it to be over when she started the "yeah yeah yeah..."s. So, I wasn't in shock when she was in the final three. The "oh, look what a cute baby" deal didn't make her performance any better, either. It annoyed me more than anything.

I don't think La Toya belonged in the bottom three, but while she has the best voice I think maybe her song choice was the problem. I thought Diana and Jasmine's song choices, while a bit vanilla and bland, were much prettier and actually more memorable to me than La Toya's. All I remember of her performance was a lot of lung use at the end with the big notes. Yawn...

Maybe it's just an individual thing. Some people just come across as more likeable. George and Red just seem to be naturally sweet guys who are appealing to be around, and I think that's a main reason why they've stuck around and have fan clubs and rabid followings. George, in all honesty, is no Otis Redding or Al Green, and I almost agree with Simon that his voice is perfect....for a backup singer. But he's so likeable that people seem to forgive rough patches and bad notes. It's only with the great song choices (like "Take Me To The Pilot" and "Always and Forever") that I've thought, "Maybe I could listen to a whole album of his singing."

Everyone knows Red is the oddball in the group, but that may have helped him. He can't exactly be lumped in with the big-voiced r&b divas (including Diana and Jasmine), and he doesn't have the throaty soul of Huff. He's young but retro, seems innocent and huggable, and obviously has earned fans both young and old. He sticks out like Conan O'Brien at a DMX concert, but he has a naive charm that is undeniably appealing. He's not the freakshow that William Hung is, but he is different from the pack and I think that has helped him immensely. The Teen Martin vocal style is wearing thin, but somehow he has managed to win over both the geezers and teen girls who like pasty redheads. The voice is often weak, but his last two performances have been perfect for him. Anyone who thinks he has a chance to win is crazy, though. I don't see him standing a chance of being in the top three after salsa night. If he tries to do "Conga" or some upbeat number, he'll be laughably bad. The only way he stands a chance is by doing an Enrique or Ricky Martin-style Latin ballad, and even then I think he's still gone. It's been fun, though. Good luck on the lounge circuit.

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/bdeloach/stanlaurel.jpg
I actually do see the Stan Laurel similarity, in his smile especially.

gettinbranded
04-24-04, 07:18 PM
Nice post.