TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood 4/18

Old 04-18-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadwood 4/18

Pretty good episode, I missed the first 3 minutes (cause of a thunderstorm messing with my satalite, I also missed Sopranos but will catch the 11pm repeat) so I'll have to watch the repeat

So will Jane get sick from hanging out with that guy in the woods? And what was going on with the reverend towards the end?

They always have to toss a little nudity in right at the end which doesnt bother me just seems like they do it just to have some in every episode.
Old 04-18-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jane yelling at the sick guy to "Shut the **** up" had me laughing.
Old 04-18-04, 11:01 PM
Cool New Member

From the coming attractions it seems that whatever the disease or plague it is will spread, but I bet they get that vaccine in time.

I also liked the line from Swearagen about how "agitation is good for liquor sales but bad for sales of c*nt"

I'm still pissed about the loss of Wild Bill though, I miss that character. I'm also starting to feel bad for the Montana character because as the only "good" guy left with any balls he is really getting piled on with people needing help or things being done.
Old 04-18-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
That disease is smallpox....I expect it will spread some, but if they stick to the basic history - which they appear to be - Deadwood didn't see a full-on epidemic until 1878 (we're in August 1876 right now). Jane never got it, and it's been mentioned in every weekly thread that she lived into the 1900s - so you can stop worrying/wishing for her demise. As for Wild Bill, like it or not, that is exactly how he was killed, and that is exactly what happened to the piece of shit that shot him. He got away with it....so to speak....and that's all i have to say about that.

Another great episode....this has quickly become my favorite show....and just might be the best television show i've ever seen.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 04-18-04 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef
I apologize
Old 04-19-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
That disease is smallpox....I expect it will spread some, but if they stick to the basic history -
I stopped reading your post right there because previously reading that Wild Bill was killed 2 days after Seth Bullock (Montana) arrived ruined that surprise. Just trying to find one of these quotes on HBO's site I already found out another fairly major character who's about to get killed from people discussing the history

I really liked this episode. The funniest western I've seen since Blazing Saddles.

Jane: Hey mister! Are you dead?

Andy: I apologize
Jane: Shut the F up!

The jury will now retire to the whores' rooms to "deliberate"

“Sometimes I wish we could just hit 'em over the head, rob 'em, and throw their bodies in the creek."
"But that would be wrong. ”
—-Swearengen & Tolliver

And then Swearingen's little speech to McCall (the killer) after he was found innocent. I think he just made him mess his pants.
“Buy me a drink and I'll make my mark."
"Stick around camp Jack, I'll make mine for you.”

Last edited by Roto; 04-19-04 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-19-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
That was pretty funny
Old 04-19-04, 11:30 AM

I'm really lovin this show..hard to wait a Week for the next episode..Is this season 10 episodes or 12 ? ( I know it was renewed for 12 next season) but I seem to remember reading this was a 10 part series somewhere.
Old 04-19-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I couldn't quite figure this out at the end.
Was Trixie actually trying to help the widow by getting that 'brown' stuff from the doc instead of using the dope that Swearengen gave her to use to hook the widow?
Old 04-19-04, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Phil L.
Was Trixie actually trying to help the widow by getting that 'brown' stuff from the doc instead of using the dope that Swearengen gave her to use to hook the widow?
Exactly ..I Imagine she likes to stick it to Al anytime she thinks she can get away with it in payment for the way he treats her among other things
Old 04-19-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ttiberius
Exactly ..I Imagine she likes to stick it to Al anytime she thinks she can get away with it in payment for the way he treats her among other things
I imagine E.B. feels the same way. I liked his little rant while he was cleaning up the blood stain. It doesn't seem like anybody who works for Al is very loyal, but they only do something about it in a passive/aggressive sort of way.

I really like this show now. The hour seems to fly by.
Old 04-19-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Irwin Fletcher
From the coming attractions it seems that whatever the disease or plague it is will spread, but I bet they get that vaccine in time.
Fletch, consider me a partner in fandom, but beware the spoilers!

Amazing how compressed the time is on the show. Really fantastic cutting and honoring of the time element -- sometimes moreso than 24.
Old 04-19-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great episode.
Especially...ummm...the uhhhh....bathtub scene
Old 04-20-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Phil L.
I think she was asking the doctor for something to relieve the withdrawl affects for Garrett. The previews made it appear that Al gets privy to the fact Trixie isn't getting Garrett high. Trixie is then asking Garrett for a favor and I assume she is
Spoiler:
asking her to pretend to be high.
Old 04-20-04, 02:04 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show is a mix of history and fiction. On the one hand, I understand people don't like seeing "spoilers" in plain text. On the other hand, I really don't think historical fact can be considered a "spoiler." Is mentioning that the ship sinks in a thread about the movie "Titanic" a spoiler? How about mentioning that the Germans lost in a discussion about a WWII movie? Granted, the history of Deadwood is not quite as well known by most people. However, it *is* still history. Personally, I think it is important to know the truth ahead of time in order to be able to be able to compare it to the fictionalized version of it seen on the show.
Old 04-20-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by JM
This show is a mix of history and fiction. On the one hand, I understand people don't like seeing "spoilers" in plain text. On the other hand, I really don't think historical fact can be considered a "spoiler." Is mentioning that the ship sinks in a thread about the movie "Titanic" a spoiler? How about mentioning that the Germans lost in a discussion about a WWII movie? Granted, the history of Deadwood is not quite as well known by most people. However, it *is* still history. Personally, I think it is important to know the truth ahead of time in order to be able to be able to compare it to the fictionalized version of it seen on the show.
That also is a confusing situation to me, especially since I abhor spoilers. I guess it's always better to err on the side of caution just for the sake of other people.
Old 04-20-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JM
In your example you pick two facts that are very known. The thing about Deadwood is as you state, it is not very well known. Coupled with the fact that we are discussing a TV show in this specific thread I would prefer if people did not post info that one may not know without knowing the history of Deadwood. If you want to discuss the history I think opening a thread in Other called History of Deadwood might be apropos.