Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox Purchase?

Okay Guys,

I just completed a major project at school and have decided to reward myself with an Xbox. I've wanted one for a while and with the price drop , now seems as good a time as any.

Based on reading this forum and reviews elsewhere my 1st game choices boil down to Star Wars: KOTOR or Halo. So my choices are...

1. New Green Xbox/Halo Bundle for 170.

2. Black Xbox with Star Wars.

3. Black Xbox with Halo.

I'm also open to any other suggestion on games. Any comments on KOTOR versus Halo. I like both genres but have never played either game. Finally, any comments on the green xbox for those that have seen it in person.
Old 04-18-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly you can't go wrong with either of those choices. Personally i'd get the Halo bundle just to have the coolies green Xbox and then later on down the road pick up KOTOR. Both games rule. Just like Wyld Stallions.
Old 04-18-04, 12:17 PM

Hmm...

I just saw some close up pictures of the Green Xbox online and didn't love it. Maybe it looks better in person, it is unique or just fugly.

Reading about 10 review for both Star Wars and Halo, haven't been much he;lp. Almost all are raves, damn this decision is hard.
Old 04-18-04, 07:13 PM

Not to bag on the Xbox as I love mine but both of the games you are cosidering are better on the PC if you have the hardware.

Buy an Xbox for the following types of games:

Amped 2
Mechassault
Project Gotham Racing 2
Any sports title by EA or Sega
SSX3
Ninja Gaiden
Panzer Orta
Crimson Skies
Top Spin
etc.

Shooters are always better on the PC. KOTOR is so much prettier and better controlling on the PC.

However if those really are your only 3 choices I say go with #1

2 cents
Old 04-20-04, 09:28 AM
Cool New Member

well, i disagree with the opinion that shooters were made for pc. I have played Halo on pc and x-box and the x-box experience is the best to me. You have the addition of cooperative play on x-box which, for me, makes it the best. Since i dont really care for rpg's, my call is Halo all the way. I would love to have the green Halo x-box, but i have 2 x-box console now and cant justify adding another...
Old 04-20-04, 12:05 PM

I agree that shooters are probably more intuitive to control on a PC, and have the capability to look much better (possibly), but here's why I choose consoles (GCN and XBox): I like to relax on my couch and play on my 36" TV with Dolby Digital surround (XBox), and I know exactly how the game will look and perform. I don't have to buy a new video card to play a game.

By the way, I just bought the green Halo/XBox yesterday!
Old 04-20-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BourceForce
I like to relax on my couch and play on my 36" TV with Dolby Digital surround (XBox), and I know exactly how the game will look and perform. I don't have to buy a new video card to play a game.
x100
Old 04-20-04, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice guys and I've been playing my new Xbox constantly for the past couple days.

I looked in every local store but could not find the Halo Bundle so settled for a standard black one. I ended up with three games, Halo, MechAssaulkt, and NBA Steet Vol. 2. All of which are fantastic but Halo is damn amazing. I really need to get a bigger tv and surround sound, but overall really happy with my purchase.

KOTOR is next on my list but any other games people want to recommend would be great. I ususally buy older or discounted games, hate to pay 50 for a game so keep that in mind.
Old 04-20-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CJF2000

YOu can try "Cheapassgamer.com" they POST alot good deal on XBOX games right now.

Bestbuy (Instore Only)

Voodo Vince $10
Batman: Rise of Sin Tsu $5
& Alot more !!
Old 04-20-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BourceForce
I like to relax on my couch and play on my 36" TV with Dolby Digital surround (XBox), and I know exactly how the game will look and perform. I don't have to buy a new video card to play a game.
This is one of the main reasons that I will never play a PC game again. In my eyes, the console experience makes PC gaming obsolete.