Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill Vols. 1 And 2, Your Opinions.....One Movie, More Oscar Recognition?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While reading and adding to the KB threads going here this crossed my mind. There would definitely have been more content in one fused movie rather than two in order to, if nothing else, garner Uma an Oscar nod last year, bearing in mind I hope she receives one this year for 2 alone regardless. She did get a Golden Globe nom for one half of the story. I also think the entire story in one sitting would make for a very likely Oscar nom for QT as well; again, I would love to see a QT Oscar nod for 2 alone, but the content of the two halves together would have made the premise even more likely to happen.

Last edited by nightmaster; 04-18-04 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-18-04, 01:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the whole kung-fu aspect of it is going to make a lot of academy voters dismiss this film out of hand, even though by all rights Uma and Carradine should have oscar nominations.
Old 04-18-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to agree that David Carradine should see an Oscar nom, as should Uma. Both did incredible work, right up there with the best of their careers.

However, I do have to say that if a lot of the "fat" had been trimmed from volumes 1 and 2 and it had been one movie, then it might stand a better chance at the oscars. However, I do agree with Suprmallet that the kung-fu will probably hurt the film as most academy voters won't take the film seriously because of it.
Old 04-18-04, 09:27 AM
Banned

F**k the Oscars! Who gives a s**t what those jackass voters think? I sure dont! These are loved by many and it shows!
Old 04-18-04, 10:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

best picture
best screenplay
best actress
best actor
best cinematography
best director
best sound
best sound editing
best score
Old 04-18-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I LOATHE the Oscars & everything they now stand for, Uma Thurman should LITERALLY win every single acting award there is all year long for her role in this movie. The range of emotions she portrays in both volumes is absolutely astounding, she also has a very difficult type of humor to portray at times, a very dry, subtle humor that is extremely hard to pull off. Add the fact that she was a female lead as cool as Clint Eastwood in an action movie, is pretty much something that has never been done to such perfection before. She had to learn martial arts, sword training, & do most of her own stunts, learn Japanese, I mean I find it absolutely astounding what went into her role & all of this after just being pregnant, I truly believe film will not have a better performance all year.
Old 04-18-04, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Unfortunately, I think the whole kung-fu aspect of it is going to make a lot of academy voters dismiss this film out of hand
Like they did to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
Old 04-18-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, I think the whole kung-fu aspect of it is going to make a lot of academy voters dismiss this film out of hand, even though by all rights Uma and Carradine should have oscar nominations.
I don't think the Kung Fu aspects will do that at all. I think the violence & early in the year release will take care of that.
Old 04-18-04, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
I don't think the Kung Fu aspects will do that at all. I think the violence & early in the year release will take care of that.
Like Silence of the Lambs?
Old 04-18-04, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually considering my opinion of the Oscars and of these movies (or Tarantino's wet dream goregasam as I call them) I think it would be fitting if he swept the Oscars

Overall though I would be surprised if it was nominated, much less won. Either way though I really don't care about the Oscars and can't say I care much for Tarantino or Kill Bill. In fact I think I like Timeline better
Old 04-18-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Like Silence of the Lambs?
No, not like Silence of the Lambs at all. The amount of blood & profanity in Kill Bill makes Silence of the Lambs look like a young children's Saturday morning cartoon.

Last edited by Sessa17; 04-18-04 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Berserk aired at 1:55 am, saturday mornings.

just being a jackass.

-Rich

Last edited by RichC2; 04-18-04 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Haven't seen Vol. 2 yet, but from Vol. 1 i don't see anything that should have been nominated for the Oscars. I don't expect Vol. 2 to be drastically different.
Old 04-18-04, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
The amount of blood & profanity in Kill Bill makes Silence of the Lambs look like a young children's Saturday morning cartoon.
Not in volume 2, which is the film that'll actually be up for Oscar contention.
Originally posted by fumanstan
Haven't seen Vol. 2 yet, but from Vol. 1 i don't see anything that should have been nominated for the Oscars. I don't expect Vol. 2 to be drastically different.
Vol. 2 is, in fact, drastically different from Vol. 1 in several ways.
Old 04-18-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Then you would be dead wrong.
Old 04-18-04, 02:52 PM
Banned by request

Like they did to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
I knew someone was going to bring this up. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is not like Kill Bill at all. Although the characters do some amazing things in Kill Bill (mostly in the House of Blue Leaves and the Mai Pei/Beatrix fight), it's not as outlandish as in Crouching Tiger. Not as "awe inspiring." Also, the violence in either Kill Bill movie is a thousand times more gory than in Crouching Tiger.

Frankly, I didn't think Crouching Tiger was that great. I felt the story dragged when they lingered on it, the characters weren't fleshed out enough, and that only left the fights, which got monotonous by the end. Kill Bill, on the other hand, had a fascinating story, strong characters, and fights that took your breath away because you cared about who was going to win, not because they were running around on water.

I think if any film was going to see Oscar success like Crouching Tiger, it would be when Hero gets released eventually by Miramax. And Hero would actually deserve it. Kill Bill, on the other hand, will most likely be ignored or even scorned by academy voters. Why? Because Crouching Tiger was trying to be art. Kill Bill is trying to be schlock, but being a Tarantino film, also manages to be art.
Old 04-18-04, 05:06 PM

Kill Bill is trying to be schlock, but being a Tarantino film, also manages to be art.
Like Pulp Fiction?
Old 04-18-04, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

Like Pulp Fiction?
Pulp Fiction was a phenomenon. No one had seen anything quite like it. Kill Bill didn't have the same impact.

But hey, I could be wrong. Kill Bill could sweep at the oscars and no one would be happier than I would be. My prediction, however, is that it won't.
Old 04-18-04, 05:30 PM

Kill Bill, on the other hand, had a fascinating story, strong characters, and fights that took your breath away because you cared about who was going to win, not because they were running around on water.
I couldn't disagree more. I found the Kill Bill story to be a basic revenge story nothing more interesting than that. Basically the plot is there just to link the fights together IMHO. I'm not sure what you mean by "strong" characters since there is very little character development (just a few blips of background info to explain who everyone is), everyone pretty much finishes where they started personality wise (if they aren't dead ). The fights may have taken my breath away if I hadn't gotten sick of such fights in HK cinema a LONG time ago. The "fountains o' blood" thing just doesn't do anything for me personally. I also disagree w/ the cared about who won since there was no development of the main character I personally didn't care if they chopped her into little bits (of course since that was vol1 and vol2 was on the way we all knew that was unlikely ).
Old 04-18-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
Then you would be dead wrong.
Somehow i doubt Uma magically improved her acting inbetween volumes.
Old 04-18-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Somehow i doubt Uma magically improved her acting inbetween volumes.
It's not about an improvement; it's the way the story of vol 2 gives her room to let her talent show. There are a couple truly emotional scenes in vol 2 involving Uma, and she really knocks it out of the park. There was nothing like that in vol 1. I really think you'll be eating your words once you see vol 2.
Old 04-18-04, 05:52 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by nemein
I couldn't disagree more. I found the Kill Bill story to be a basic revenge story nothing more interesting than that. Basically the plot is there just to link the fights together IMHO. I'm not sure what you mean by "strong" characters since there is very little character development (just a few blips of background info to explain who everyone is), everyone pretty much finishes where they started personality wise (if they aren't dead ). The fights may have taken my breath away if I hadn't gotten sick of such fights in HK cinema a LONG time ago. The "fountains o' blood" thing just doesn't do anything for me personally. I also disagree w/ the cared about who won since there was no development of the main character I personally didn't care if they chopped her into little bits (of course since that was vol1 and vol2 was on the way we all knew that was unlikely ).
But what did you think of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
Old 04-18-04, 06:30 PM

But what did you think of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
To be honest it's been so long since I've seen it I don't recall much of it. Chow Yun-Fat is one of my fav actors so on that fact alone I remember liking/enjoying it, although I didn't care for the "wire-fu" there either (I'm not a big fan of that type of fighting/action). I think more time was spent on character development giving the main characters a more rounded out "personality" and motivation for taking the actions they did beyond simple revenge (which is all Kill Bill seemed to have to offer, everyone who was given some sort of background story was doing what they did because someone in their past wronged them).
Old 04-19-04, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Carradine deserves an Oscar nomination...he carried Vol. 2 and was fantastic in it. I don't see any other nominations, though.
Old 04-19-04, 01:15 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with Suprmallet - KB2 will not generate any Oscar noms in the major awards.

Too violent and unrealistic and heavily drenched in genres that are looked down upon by the Academy.

This is B movie stuff folks. Enthusiasm is fine but let's keep some perspective here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.