Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here get together, hang out, and play games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a video game club?
Yes!
36.84%
Maybe. It depends on the location.
18.42%
No.
15.79%
I would but my wife/girlfriend won't let me.
5.26%
This sounds creepy.
23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 07:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking about this the other day and decided to resurrect this idea. Does anyone here get together, hang out, and play games? My friends aren't really into video games, but I'd love to play Madden, Halo, and other games against real people. I do have Xbox live, but my ping times are so bad that it's not really that fun to play.

I wonder if people would be interested in being in a group where you could gather at different people's houses every month and have some sort of tournament. I hear of people having Halo parties, and it sounds like a blast! With the prices of the next gen consoles coming down soon (hopefully), it shouldn't be too hard to find people who'll buy one and want to test it out.

And no, this isn't some sort of weird personal ad. I just think it'd be cool to have a few people over, have some pizza and drinks, and try to see how good your skills are. If I ever build that MAME cabinet, that would be nice to see how much my MK2 skills have eroded against real people

Does this sound like a good idea to you? Do groups or clubs like this already exist? Let me know what you think! I've made a poll for your opinion.

P.S. If anyone's in the Baton Rouge/Lafayette/New Orleans/Houston area and is interested, send me an email!

Thanks!
Keith

Last edited by Silly Burrito; 04-17-04 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hang out with friends to do this, but not with Dvdtalk people since im 10 hours form the nearest member.
Old 04-17-04, 03:53 PM

We have LANs all the time, usually about one per month if we can swing it. Nothing better than sniping from bombed out buildings in COD, or a nice 20-player round of Onslaught in a really small map. The best part of course is when I actually manage to take my boyfriend out.
Old 04-17-04, 07:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I have 2 xboxes linked and have friends over all the time to play. I'd probably be willing to meet some DVDtalkers this way.
Old 04-17-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
creepy
Old 04-18-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I don't have any friends who play video games and the one person who comes to my apartment would rather go eat, see a movie, or have sex so my XBOX only get's used when I'm home alone.
Old 04-18-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good ol' Lans.

Newegg is hosting a PC lan next week in Pasadena, Ca. at the convention center. should be interesting
Old 04-18-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I wish dvdtalkers would get together more online gaming becuase I like alot of folks here. But it's always tough to for us to get together online. At least that's been the case on XBOX Live.
Old 04-18-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every Wednesday night we have a LAN party with about 8 to 10 people. We mostly play Counter Strike, Halo, and Unreal Championship but we also play a little bit of everything else too.

My friend Mike who hosts the parties is a really nice guy. He buys just about every Xbox game that comes out except for sports games. He also is the one who provides the games/machines, all we do is just show up. He probably has 8-16 copies of every multiplayer game on the Xbox (not kidding). It's nice to have rich friends

I want to be nice and get the guy a gift from all of us since he is so great to us but it is hard to shop for him since he always has like every game preordered. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Shimmer35; 04-18-04 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-18-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would dig something like this but unfortunately here in WV i'm not exactly close to any other dvdtalkers. Although, Giantrobo, i'll hopefully be getting xbox live in the next couple months and then i'll be on in the evenings to play some Rainbow Six 3.
Old 04-18-04, 08:32 AM

I'm surprised by the number of creepy votes...it's almost evenly split between yes and creepy!

I wouldn't be adverse to some sort of Xbox or LAN meeting online for some gaming fun. I guess it would have to be something that's announced two weeks ahead on DVDtalk to get the maximum number of eyeballs. Then you could make it sort of a semi-regular event that people could get used to.

This morning I even had an idea for a online poker game where everyone who's in Paypals the game host (who'd obviously have to be trustworthy) 5 or 10 bucks and the winner takes all. Of course, that may also be seen as internet gambling, so I don't think I could really encourage that here. Plus, it would be harder to read the people's tells! However, this idea could be used for other games as well, but I digress.

I wish LAN parties happened around here, but this isn't a place where a lot of people have computers or Xboxes. I'd be up for one, but I'd probably get my butt kicked!

Shimmer, that sounds like a sweet setup. I don't know what you could get the guy. It sounds like he just enjoys having people over to play.
Old 04-18-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know a lot of DVDTalkers play XBL together, does that count?

Jeremy
Old 04-20-04, 06:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a multi-tap for my ps2 and usually have a games night with some friends. Best fun ever when playing against a human opponent.
Old 04-20-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd love to do something like this because none of my friends play video games. Well, one does, but we don't really like the same type of games. But, I'm in Kansas City, and most DVDTalkers aren't.
Old 04-20-04, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by jw2299
I'd love to do something like this because none of my friends play video games. Well, one does, but we don't really like the same type of games. But, I'm in Kansas City, and most DVDTalkers aren't.
That pretty much sums up my situation here in Louisiana as well. One of my best friends only really likes racing games, which I absolutely suck at. My other best friend likes sports games, which is cool, but (and not getting a big head here), I usually can defeat him without a lot of effort as he gets mad when he gets behind. I need a challenge!