Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

"Dancing Dots" and Toshiba 20AF43

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction…

In early February, I purchased a Toshiba 20AF43. Great TV, excellent colors, good input selection, 16:9 squeeze mode. I would be more than happy to recommend it, but…

I’ve been encountering problems with “dancing dots” and moiré pattern. When there is a extreme contrast change (like a guy wearing a black tuxedo with a white shirt), there seems to be some moving squares along the edge of the shirt. Lines which are supposed to be smooth have a stairstep pattern, and when there are a series of lines close together, there is some coloration like a moiré pattern. This is especially evident when I view anime such as InyYasha and Witch Hunter Robin. Sometimes, the problem is so severe that it appears that the characters appear as if they are super-imposed on the screen.

This problem is also evident from the display on my DirecTiVo (Hughes HDVR2 3.1.1c). When the menus slide from right to left, the letters don’t appear as they should be, as if I’m viewing it on some cheap LCD display.

I took the TV to a Toshiba authorized center for testing, and the technician said that the newer TVs are a bit more sensitive than the older TVs, and that he has never heard of the problem. Maybe he’s right, or maybe I’m a bit pickier about the picture quality than most folks who would live with the problem and take it as normal. I said that this didn’t appear with my older RCA (which went out after four years) or with the Video In on my Video card.

I’ve tried fixing the problem, including using the Video Essentials DVD (which the technician said wasn’t worth the cost). The sharpness control seems to have little to no effect. I’ve tried reducing the contrast. Anyone have any ideas?

The hookup:
Antenna in – The RF output of the DirecTiVo (only so that I don’t look at white noise)
Video 1 – S-Video connection from my DirecTiVo
Video 2 – Video-only from my VCR (no audio). This is used as a monitor only when transferring programs from my DirecTiVo to tape, and is usually off.
Video 3 – Unused.
Colorstream – Toshiba SD-3108 DVD player (and I tried all 3 modes of noise reduction)
Old 04-15-04, 06:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I have the same set and haven't noticed that problem at all.

I did use Avia for calibrating and hardly tweaked anything in the service menu, it mostly only needed geometry adjustments but I did adjust SHARP from 40 to 24 there.

How do you get into the service menu you ask?

1) Turn the volume down to 0.
2) Press the volume down on the front of the TVand press 9 on the remote at the same time. The service menu should come up.
3) Write down the original value of anything you intend to change.
4) Volume up and down change the values.
5) Press menu on the remote to exit.
Old 04-15-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We'll see what happens. I assume that channel up and down changes the values. Wish I knew the service menu before.

Oh well, in a worst case scenario, I'm out $30.

The video calibration disc that I use is the original Video Essentials disc. Too bad the adjustment bar is right smack in the middle of the test pattern.