Penn & Teller: Bull****: The Business of Love, 4-15-04

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT.
Penn and Teller explore the concept of romantic love - a fantasy akin to believing in Santa Claus - and expose the truth that love is a chemical reaction that, like all drugs, wears off after a while. Also: the myth of monogamy.
Looks like this could be my first ever serious disagreement with them.

Next week: War on Drugs. Now that promises to be a classic.

Last edited by movielib; 04-15-04 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
It is like these guys read my mind.
Old 04-15-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
romantic love
If, by that, they mean lust... I might agree with their argument. Lust does wear off. But romantic love? Not in my experience. Could be an interesting one.
Old 04-15-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bboisvert
If, by that, they mean lust... I might agree with their argument. Lust does wear off. But romantic love? Not in my experience. Could be an interesting one.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-15-04, 10:47 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
This should be a good one!
Old 04-16-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like no one is interested in talking about Thursday's program.

I think it was their weakest one yet in 16 episodes. It just wasn't a subject that played to the show's strengths. Yeah, the bashing on The Rules lady and on the Mars and Venus guy was OK but it seemed mean-spirited without much of the usual accompanying humor. These authors' works seem kind of dumb (I say this without having read them ) but not particularly harmful or fraudulent like a lot of the targets P&T go after (although Gray's degree is kind of fraudulent).

The guy who tried to shoot down monogamy by comparisons to the animal world needs to realize that people are not animals. OK, they are but they are animals who can reason and make moral choices. That difference makes such comparisons useless.

The speed dating stuff just wasn't particularly interesting. We've seen it before and it didn't deserve such a huge chunk of the show.

Well, even the best shows have their clunkers and I expect P&T to be back on track with The War on Drugs next week. Can't wait for that one.
Old 04-16-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm your P&T:BS sidekick!

I actually liked this week's show, and that's coming from someone who has turned entirely disenfranchised to the love and romance world in the last few months.

It also made me realize that guys, in general, are neither creative nor interesting. That HurryDate stuff was painful to watch. Some guy expects to get a hot date wearing a motorcycle chain? C'mon.

I enjoyed the ribbing of the authors, especially the "Rules" bitch. It's amazing how gung ho some suckers take these books.

I think one of the things I like the most about the show is the "final thought" at the end. They really tie up the show nicely week after week.
Old 04-16-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by movielib
Looks like no one is interested in talking about Thursday's program.

I think it was their weakest one yet in 16 episodes. It just wasn't a subject that played to the show's strengths. Yeah, the bashing on The Rules lady and on the Mars and Venus guy was OK but it seemed mean-spirited without much of the usual accompanying humor. These authors' works seem kind of dumb (I say this without having read them ) but not particularly harmful or fraudulent like a lot of the targets P&T go after (although Gray's degree is kind of fraudulent).

The guy who tried to shoot down monogamy by comparisons to the animal world needs to realize that people are not animals. OK, they are but they are animals who can reason and make moral choices. That difference makes such comparisons useless.

The speed dating stuff just wasn't particularly interesting. We've seen it before and it didn't deserve such a huge chunk of the show.

Well, even the best shows have their clunkers and I expect P&T to be back on track with The War on Drugs next week. Can't wait for that one.

Just watched it. I agree it was definitely one of their weaker episodes, although I do believe that monogamy is unnatural, even for humans.

I've seen that Rules of Dating bitch before. She continues to keep spouting that nonsense I see.

I'll never get tired of "Enter this *******" part of the program.

I expect next week's episode to be GOLD!
Old 04-17-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was fine. Certainly not their most interesting or most humorous, but it was still good. And I didn't find it to be mean-spirited at all. Their general message is a good one: meet and interact with people, be yourself, and you might find someone to share your life with. That and the classic, you can't win if you don't play. I agree that the subject matter didn't play to the strengths of the show, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

das
Old 04-17-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The huge cold sore on the blonde girl's lip might have had something to do with why the guy didn't call her. She didn't look too good, to be as judgmental as she seemed.

Then when they came back to her one month later, she looked much better and that guy might have missed out on something nice.

Even when she looked unkept at the dating circus, she was a decent looking woman. I think they could have touched on how lonely people/women might want to lower their standards a bit and stop waiting for mr. perfect. My wife has several single friends that are always turning guys down for a date and then coming over and boring us (probably just me) with stories about how there are no good men out there and why guys that look like Brad Pitt are never the ones asking them out.

Good episode, but it wasn't great. I do love my wife a lot, but I'd say over half of my married male friends and I don't think we'll be faithful our entire lives and several of them have already croseed the line. Yet, I really believe they love their wives.

I'm surprised, that in all the time that I've been a member, that das monkey hasn't found his true love here at tv talk.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-17-04 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 11:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sorry, P&T...but I live in Utah. The idea that monogamy doesn't work is old news here.
Old 04-17-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy

Good episode, but it wasn't great. I do love my wife a lot, but I'd say over half of my married male friends and I don't think we'll be faithful our entire lives and several of them have already croseed the line. Yet, I really believe they love their wives.

Not to go too off topic. But whats the point in getting married if you don't want to honor your vows?

And I question someone's love when the intentionally do something that hurtful to a person who cares about them.
Old 04-17-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Not to go too off topic. But whats the point in getting married if you don't want to honor your vows?

And I question someone's love when the intentionally do something that hurtful to a person who cares about them.

Probably because there is so much pressure to 'live the perfect life' (house, spouse, and 2.5 kids). Don't underestimate this factor.
Old 04-17-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I'm your P&T:BS sidekick!

I actually liked this week's show, and that's coming from someone who has turned entirely disenfranchised to the love and romance world in the last few months.

It also made me realize that guys, in general, are neither creative nor interesting. That HurryDate stuff was painful to watch. Some guy expects to get a hot date wearing a motorcycle chain? C'mon.

I enjoyed the ribbing of the authors, especially the "Rules" bitch. It's amazing how gung ho some suckers take these books.

I think one of the things I like the most about the show is the "final thought" at the end. They really tie up the show nicely week after week.
I agree

But I bet the girls weren't that interesting to talk to either for the HurryDate.
Old 04-17-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DodgingCars

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Marriage means different things to different people. What's the point in being gay and being denied the right to be married?

I just said that 1/2 of my male friends had discussed the idea of being with another woman at some time and that some had actually been with other women.

I think, for the most part, that they still love their wives and the point of the show was that we're not meant to be monongamous. My experiences in life suggest that Penn and Teller were right.