Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount Pre-Ordering Problems

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my favorite vendors is Deep Discount DVD, except for pre-orders.

Basically there is no reward for pre-ordering titles months in advance.

For example, they were charging $17.89 for KILL BILL V.1 a few weeks ago which would seem a great price for pre-ordering. Then suddenly last week they changed the price to $19.89.

Now, however, their current price is $15.89. If you have pre-ordered that title they will not give it to you at that price unless you contact them and ask for an adjustment. You will not be automatically billed at the lower price just because you pre-ordered months before.

To me it's just not worth the hassle of contacting them each time for a price adjustment when you can wait until street date and buy it it for the best price at a B&M.

I just wish they would find some way to reward pre-order customers!
Old 04-19-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about ordering it when it's at the lower price?
Old 04-19-04, 01:59 PM

That idea would be OK if you don't mind receiving the item a week AFTER street date since DDD doesn't drop the price until release day.

My point is that there is no benefit to ordering early except that you might receive it a day or so before street date.

Personally, I can wait until street date to buy in a store when I know it's the lowest price. I just don't enjoy pricing games on the Internet when I know most B&Ms will have a better price during the first week when a title is released!
Old 04-19-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, now that you've got the knowledge of how they work, the problem's solved.
Old 04-26-04, 03:14 PM

This is my favorite site which I pre-order from all the time. I agree, I do notice when the item gets released, the price does go down. This really aggrivated me the first time this happened so i called customer service and they told me if this should happen again I can call them back within ten business days from the date it shipped. As long as you call back, they will lower the price for you. I've noticed that pre-ordering is really only reserving a copy, it does not necessarilly gove you the lower price. I still shop there all the time!
Old 05-08-04, 07:26 AM

To wrrg, I agree that all you need to do is to call them for each title that needs an adjustment.

With all the other hassles in life, why should you go to the trouble of calling DDD for each adjustment? I prefer to go to B&Ms or visit sites that I know have a low price and not have to waste time calling for an adjustment and then worry about whether I'll get the adjustment.

It's just a matter of keeping things simple.