DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Can't Delete File

darthwoo
04-15-04, 12:20 AM
I was using the free version of Fraps, a program for making videos of games. For some reason, one of the video files ended up at the maximum size of 4GB, although I was not recording for nearly long enough according to their FAQ page's estimates. Now I can't delete the file from my hard drive no matter what I try. I have tried using safe mode to delete it, but with no effect. I also tried from the command prompt, but couldn't quite get that to work. I really need to clear up this space, as 4GB is 5% of the space on that drive. Is there anything I can do short of formatting?

zuffy
04-15-04, 12:31 AM
from dvdrhelp.com:

"The fix for Windows XP not letting you delete .avi
I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here.
Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to
move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire
contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of
shmedia.dll.
To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}
InProcServer32
This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these
files.
Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is
very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix
does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain
in the ass!"

Preacher
04-15-04, 12:35 AM
:) Just save your Registry to your Desktop in case of any kind of oddities.

Start - Run - Type "regedit" - OK - Registry Editor appears - File - Export - Send to Desktop.

Tha way if anything happens you just import it back after. Should be easy.

darthwoo
04-15-04, 12:41 AM
Thank you very much! That worked like a charm, and such a quick response. Hopefully the registry edit won't end up messing up something later though :)

bill_n_opus
04-15-04, 09:14 PM
We really should make a sticky for something like this. This topic comes up all the time.

the aftermath
04-15-04, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by bill_n_opus
We really should make a sticky for something like this. This topic comes up all the time. Like I suggested in a different thread, there should be an FAQ for common questions like this.

Trigger
04-15-04, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by the aftermath
Like I suggested in a different thread, there should be an FAQ for common questions like this. So let's make one... since the question in this thread has been answered, let's start suggesting common questions and the common answers for them and then once we have a bunch, someone can make a thread and a moderator can sticky it.

Here's a couple...

Q: I have too many pop-ups / Internet Explorer is slow / My homepage keeps changing / What do I do?

A: You have spyware/adware/malware - go to www.download.com and get two programs... 1. Ad Aware and 2. Spybot: Search and Destroy. Once you install them, update them both and run a scan of your system with each.

Q: The text in my browser is too small/large - how do I fix it?

A: Hold down control and move the mousewheel up or down.

Q: I think I have a virus, but my virus scanner says I'm clean.

A: Go to http://housecall.antivirus.com and run a free webscan of your hard drives.

Trigger
04-16-04, 03:06 PM
hehe... or maybe not.

bill_n_opus
04-19-04, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Trigger
hehe... or maybe not.

Sorry, man. I haven't checked this thread in a little while. I applaud your effort but sadly there's probably not as much traffic here to make it worthwhile unless we get more input.

But we should make a sticky of your suggestions anyways.

Lampei
04-19-04, 12:41 PM
If for nothing other than those 3 Q's alone, we should have a sticky thread :)

Lethal Nemesis
07-06-04, 12:00 AM
Woohoo! Finally found the answer I was looking for. Thanks guys!