Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Headphone help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headphone help

Hi

I need help in buying a new headphone in the $50-$100 range.

I mostly listen to pop, rock, punk and jazz on my MP3 player. I was interested in sony MDR-v600 but after reading some bad review, i decided to look for something else.

ANyone have any suggestion??
Old 04-12-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always been happy with Sennheiser's around that price range, they have a decent set for around $50, or some really good ones IMO for $100.
Old 04-12-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Sennheiser PX-100 sound great and are an open design. Retail for around $40.
PX-200 sound even better and are a closed design, which blocks out some sound. Retail for around $50.

The PXC-250 are identical to the 200, except they feature active noise canceling which works VERy well. Retail around $100.
Old 04-13-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want sound quality, the Grado SR-80 model is the way to go. They cost about 80 bucks and sound ridiculously good. They do have a few drawbacks: they're open design (as most good sounding headphones are) so everyone around you can hear what you're listening to and they're not extremely comfortable.

I have a pair of the SR-80s and a pair of the Sony V600s you mentioned. You shouldn't be so quick to write the Sonys off. While the Grado's sound is better than the Sony's the difference isn't as dramatic as some reviewers make it out to be. Also, IMO, the Sonys are much more comfortable, you can wear them for hours. Lastly, the Sonys are better for work because they have a closed design.

It depends on what you're looking for...
Old 04-13-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Also check out the Sony MDR-7506. They'll run you about $99, but they're very comfortable, durable, loud, and sound pretty good.