TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood 4/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadwood 4/11

Spoiler:
As soon as Bill looked at the chair that had his back to the door I knew that he'd get killed, I was hoping it didn't happen til later in the season
Old 04-11-04, 09:59 PM

Wow! This gets better every week!
Old 04-11-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

last 2 weeks I've been looking forward to this more than Sopranos which is very strange, definately my favorite new show of the season (but I'm still liking The Shield a little more right now)
Old 04-11-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man this show is great. I love how there is this tension that you constantly feel (at least I do) as you wait for all hell to break loose. It is right now my favorite show on television and I went in thinking I wouldn't like it at all. So glad I gave it a chance.

As for tonight's episode, I think we have come to a crossroads.
Spoiler:
Wild Bill was a large part of the show and I'm curious to see how they sustain my interest. Anyone that has been watching this must have known he was going to go, I was just hoping it would be a season finale sort of deal.
Also Borst I was thinking the exact same thing.

Question: Anyone know how this is during ratings wise? I'm sure that being in a juicy timeslot behind the Sopranos has helped but I'm curious as to the actual numbers because I would love to see a second season.
Old 04-11-04, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Spoiler:
I didn't think they were gonna kill wild bill off, I was expecting it to turn into Tombstone: The Series. Guess it's gonna be better

Great episode and series so far
Old 04-11-04, 10:28 PM

Spoiler:
I was really hoping Wild Bill would last a while longer too. I knew it was going to happen eventually, but when he got show my jaw dropped, and stayed open until the previews for next week.

As for a second season, my brother was telling me last night that they were already offered a second season. He saw the show's creator on some interview... I'd have to ask him which one. I can't remember.
Old 04-11-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I continue to be underwhelmed. If this show wasn't on HBO, I would have stopped watching already
Old 04-12-04, 12:10 AM

Those mother****ing ********ers are doing such a mother****ing great job with this mother****ing show that I can't mother****ing wait until next week
Old 04-12-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice. Bill's one limber-****ed ********er.
Old 04-12-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Where do we go from here?

Were this a mini-series, Bill's fate would've normally been the climax of the show. Now I'm somewhat confused. With two of the show's biggest archetypal characters - Wild Bill and the moneyed, snooty, out-of-his-depth Easterner (whose name escapes me at the moment) - now gone, who will rise to the surface to take their places? Those two characters seemed to be such obvious tentpoles for a western series. And the way they were so integral to the opening plots, you'd have thought these were the main characters for the series as a whole.

Is the supporting cast compelling enough to build a series on? Personally, I'd be intrigued to see the show pull back from the balls-out macho western that we've seen up to this point and focus on the Easterner's dilaudid addicted wife and poor troubled manly mama-cum-lately "Jane."
Old 04-12-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now people are complaining that the show is moving to fast? HAHA
Old 04-12-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

grunter: I think the shows overall main character was always intended to be Seth Bullock. He's going to be much more proactive from now on, judging from next weeks previews, and the fact that (big historical spoiler)
Spoiler:
he eventually becomes the camps first marshall, and brings law and order to the town
. It was sad to see Wild Bill go, he was such a great character.

I wonder if the Gem will ever get a theater, considering it had one in real life.

Brian
Old 04-12-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bd: Oh, no, I knew that Seth was always supposed to be the main focus of the show.

It's just that with all the screentime devoted to Bill and the "easterner" - you'd have thought those two to at least be series regulars.

The fallout to Bill's death will be interesting to watch. I'm completely obsessed with Jane at the moment.
Old 04-12-04, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by mano365

Question: Anyone know how this is during ratings wise? I'm sure that being in a juicy timeslot behind the Sopranos has helped but I'm curious as to the actual numbers because I would love to see a second season.
It was posted in a previous thread, that HBO has already ordered a second season, right after the first episodes ratings came in.

Chris
Old 04-12-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you go and read the history of the people on the show to find out when they died I think you can assume nobody is safe. After the first episode I read that Wild Bill was killed 2 days after Seth Bullock arrived in Deadwood. I'm going to try to avoid reading anything else like that because I've just been waiting for it to happen the last two episodes. I would've been pretty shocked if I hadn't read about it.

I am glad that they aren't stretching the truth too much about what actually went on in Deadwood, it just makes me wish they would've started the show at the point Al Swearingen came to town or first opened the Gem.
Old 04-12-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that was one of the best hours of television i've ever seen....how they handled the final scene was phenomenal, as were a couple of other choice scenes. Simply fantastic writing and camera work. It's to the point now that i'm looking forward to this more than the Sopranos, and that's something I thought was damned near impossible.

And kudos to the writers for not going the schmaltz route and doing something like
Spoiler:
showing Hickock's hand of cards right before he got shot - he was holding Aces and 8s when he was killed in real life, now known as the Dead Man's Hand. I thought for sure that's how it would be shown....and i'm glad it wasn't. A perfect out-of-the-blue portrayal of the murder....
Old 04-12-04, 04:09 PM

So damn good!

I am getting the feeling each week as this progresses, that this is one of the more accurate portrayals of midwestern life in the 1800's in America.

I kind of feel bad for all the Western enthusiasts who were so put off by the swearing that they quit watching.

This is the real deal Western!!!

Last edited by Bobby Shalom; 04-12-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by brizz

And kudos to the writers for not going the schmaltz route and doing something like showing Hickock's hand of cards right before he got shot - he was holding Aces and 8s when he was killed in real life, now known as the Dead Man's Hand. I thought for sure that's how it would be shown....and i'm glad it wasn't. A perfect out-of-the-blue portrayal of the murder....
What's so schmaltzy about that? It's what actually happened, so if they're going for accuracy...

I actually thought they'd pan to his hand after he got shot, and I wondered why they never showed the "Dead-Man's Hand".
Old 04-12-04, 07:03 PM

I'm not sure if this was answered in a previous thread or anything, but I was wondering if anyone more familiar with history could explain the Pinkertons to me, and why Al is so concerned with them coming to Deadwood.

I'd look it up myself, but I don't want to accidentally run into too many spoilers for this series.
Old 04-12-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Great ep. Joanie (the hooker with Powers Boother I think) is really hot IMO. Ian McShane is already on his way to becoming one of the most memorable TV villains in history, and Carradine deserves a supporting actor Emmy nom. for this show.

Question: what was the deal with the Indian's head being paraded around town? I guess it was to show the chaos that was Deadwood, but I was wondering if it might be an innocent they think slaughtered the young girl's family.
The minute he bit the dust, I thought they would try to turn his wife into a prostitute.
Spoiler:
And judging from next week's preview, I might be right.
Old 04-13-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AndyB976
I'm not sure if this was answered in a previous thread or anything, but I was wondering if anyone more familiar with history could explain the Pinkertons to me, and why Al is so concerned with them coming to Deadwood.
They were a private detective agency, active at that time and on into the 20th century. They were used by management to break up strikes. Basically, they were for-hire legal goons.

(No spoilers here): http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/acs/...pinkerton.html
Old 04-13-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
They were a private detective agency, active at that time and on into the 20th century.
Yeah, and they hired Felix Leiter after he left the CIA.

I didn't particularly enjoy this episode. Maybe that is because I have hated the Brom and Alma story from the start.

Although, it's nice that Bullock has now faced the pivotal moment and we can expect the more compelling stories to really pick up.
Old 04-13-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Question: what was the deal with the Indian's head being paraded around town? I guess it was to show the chaos that was Deadwood, but I was wondering if it might be an innocent they think slaughtered the young girl's family.
I think
Spoiler:
it's just an example of the general lawlessness in Deadwood that, along with the murder of Hickok, convinces Bullock that he needs to bring law and order to the town.
Old 04-13-04, 09:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great episode and Wild Bill's death was a jawdropper! Excellent show, thus far!!
Old 04-13-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
here's a lengthy and very good history of Pinkerton and his detective agency: http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters2/pinkerton/

It's funny to me that "Pinkertons" are kind of a joke now - the lowest rung on the policing totem poll - but were in their heyday a very formidable outfit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.