Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HK Cinema to look forward to?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-10-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

In my eyes, HK cinema is in a bit of a slump. However, I've been scouting about and some upcoming films have caught my attention. I thought I'd throw a few out there - perhaps some people have seen them already and can comment. I also figured some people could toss out a few titles I miss.

The Eye 2 - starring Shu Qi. Already it has must-have status for me. The DVD should be out late summer. I can't wait.

New Police Story - Nicholas Tse and Jackie Chan - is Jackie passing the torch on this series or is this a return of JC? My guess would be he does a cameo. DVD coming at the end of the year maybe.

Jiang Hu - Jacky Cheung, Andy Lau, Edison Chan and an all-star HK cast. I don't know what it's about, but it looks intense and should be out this winter.

The Foliage - another Shu Qi film, this one looks like a romantic drama. It could be a good flick. Not a HK film, but mainland cinema counts, right? This summer.

Silver Hawk - Michelle Yeoh is back! Richie Ren too. This appears to be an action comedy - perhaps similar to Black Mask? I'm not sure, but I've been waiting for this for several months now - looks like a DVD is coming this summer... perhaps as soon as next month. Looking at the trailer available at the website (silverhawkmovie.com) it looks like Michelle's stunt double spends more time on screen than she does, but it still looks like fun.
Old 04-10-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this article pretty interesting...

THE EYE 2 two nights ago held a celebration for its box office success in Thailand, Singapore and other areas. Lead actress Shu Qi, boss Peter Chan Ho Sun, Eric Tsang Chi Wai, producer Lawrence Cheng Tan Shui and directors the Pang Brothers attended. The celebration arranged for three women to dress like they are pregnant to present ginger and vinegar in lieu of wine. Then the three pregnant women gave birth three "babies": THE EYE, THE EYE 2 and THE EYE 10........

In the past sequels often perform poorer than the first film. Chan Ho Sun believed that THE EYE 2 can be the exception because it has already made money overseas. As for Shu Qi calling the boss cheap because she has no bonus, Chan Ho Sun said that would happen on the situation but he also said that Shu Qi truly has given her all for this film. During the entire production she did not have to cry in only two days. In June he would begin production on THE EYE 10 while THREE 2 is still in preparation.

Chan Ho Sun said, THREE this time will be a Hong Kong, Japan and Korea collaboration. Takashi Miike (Sam Chi Sun Si) will direct the Japanese part that stars Kyoko Hasegawa (Cheung Guk Chuen Gaing Ji). Park Chan-wook (Buk Jan Yuk) will direct the Korean part that stars Lee Byung-Hun (Lee Bing Hin). No star has been determined for the Hong Kong part yet.

Unlike Shu Qi, the directors the Pang Brothers will receive worldwide profit sharing. The Pang Brothers sympathize with Shu Qi and joked that if possible they may split some with her. When asked if they are rich from the worldwide profit, they said that Chan Ho Sun is the one who will be rich. When asked if his girlfriend Angelica Lee Sinjie performed better in the first, or Shu Qi in this one, Pang Shun said that Lee Sinjie cannot play THE EYE 2 and Shu Qi cannot play THE EYE, but they both performed well. As for THE EYE 10, they revealed that the film will cast new comers. Before that film, Pang Shun will direct the suspense film SEI MONG SEH JUNG (DEATH PICTORIAL) with 2R and Lawrence Chow Chun Wai. Pang Fat will direct the action comedy NEI YAU NEI NGOR YAU NGOR (YOU HAVE YOU I HAVE ME) with Dior Cheng Yi Kin and Charlene Choi Cheuk Yin.

Shu Qi said, she did not dare to become too involved in several scenes and finally took several takes to complete them. In one scene she had to jump off a building from the five story tall rooftop. She has a fear of heights and playing a pregnant woman her costume has certain weight. That night was very windy and looking back now she was still a little shaken.

She said, "Half an hour before the shoot, I was unwilling to stand on the edge. I was so scared I started crying. At the time I thought, how come no one has asked me not to shoot the scene." She continued, "They were truly heartless directors, producers and writers." After quite a struggle Shu Qi was finally willing to stand on the edge and finally the scene took more than an hour to wrap. After that she has had nightmares every night. Shu Qi also said, while standing on the edge, suddenly she discovered a shadow on the building across the street. She was scared stiff. Later she realized it was a cardboard. When asked if Shu Qi would work on another horror film, she said that is hard to say. Of course a fresh and fun subject will be the best. She would like to make a comedy to lighten up a little.
Old 04-10-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zhang Yimou's "Shi Mian Mai Fu" looks like one to look for. It looks like all the wire-fu and dazzling visuals that brought him success in Hero are back for a second go.

Another period piece that might turn out to be interesting is "The Promise". It looks more like an "Emperor and the Assassin" style epic.
Old 04-10-04, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny To's new gangster film Tai Ze Kin(it means unusal event or important event). It will features one full 10-mintue take.

Last edited by Moon33; 04-10-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-10-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Moon33
Johnny To's new gangster film Tai Ze Kin(it means unusal event or important event). It will features one full 10-mintue take.
If you haven't seen Hitchock's "Rope" ; it was one continuous take---at least until they had to change reels.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/

As for HK cinema I'm waiting for Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373074/
Old 04-10-04, 09:30 AM

Has anyone seen Timecode, which is literally an 85-minute take (or whatever the running time for that movie is).

Okay, so it's not HK cinema, but I'm really looking forward to the 2-hour version of Hero. Also definitely looking forward to Zhang and Chen's new movies.

I've been waiting for Silver Hawk for about a year now. You can buy the bootleg DVD (with DTS!) in Hong Kong now.

Jackie Chan stars in New Police Story, Tse is just his partner, I think. It's the last part in the series, though.

I'm always looking forward to Johnnie To's new movies, so I'm definitely wating for anything he releases.
Old 04-10-04, 09:38 AM
Banned

Hey Trig, check out this link as a possible resource for your question: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=185362

Brian Thib is quite the knowledgeable one and might be able to help out ...
Old 04-10-04, 10:43 AM

Has anyone seen or read anything about Protege de la Rose Noire? Its sort of like a superhero, action, kung fu comedy starring the Twins, Ekin Cheng, and I think it's directed by Donnie Yen. Its released on DVD right now, and I'm wondering if this one is worth picking up.
Old 04-10-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been waiting for Silver Hawk as well. I heard it did poorly at the box office, but it still looks like a fun movie. The DVD is already available in Thailand: http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=12955

I'm hoping the HK disc will be released soon.
Old 04-10-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mrhan
If you haven't seen Hitchock's "Rope" ; it was one continuous take---at least until they had to change reels.
No, it was not a continuous shot, but Hitchcock wanted it to look like a continuous shot and thus filmed it that way. This is as you say, they had to shift reels. And most reels are approximately 10 min when filming.

Russian Ark is another that looks like a continuous shot...

Player had a long intro scene at the parking lot of the studio...

Cheers

DVD Smurf

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 04-10-04 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-10-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Master Killer
Has anyone seen or read anything about Protege de la Rose Noire? Its sort of like a superhero, action, kung fu comedy starring the Twins, Ekin Cheng, and I think it's directed by Donnie Yen. Its released on DVD right now, and I'm wondering if this one is worth picking up.
You know - It looked interesting to me, but I've sworn off movies with the Twins or Ekin in em... You should pick it up and provide a review.
Old 04-10-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I only have two to recommend:

PUBLIC TOILET (Fruit Chan) ****
DARKNESS BRIDE (William Kwok) ****

Two excellent films that are worlds apart from the usual commercial ditties like "Love on the Rocks" or bad indies like "Papa Loves Me".
Old 04-10-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Batoru rowaiaru
Hey Trig, check out this link as a possible resource for your question: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=185362

Brian Thib is quite the knowledgeable one and might be able to help out ...
He's HTFs version of me... we probably have pretty much the same DVD collection. If I didn't know better, I'd think someone stole my act.
Old 04-11-04, 12:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrhan
[B]If you haven't seen Hitchock's "Rope" ; it was one continuous take---at least until they had to change reels.

I'm talking about an one-take action scene.
Old 04-15-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone have any other news? Anyone else seen Silver Hawk yet?
Old 04-15-04, 05:12 PM

Silver Hawk...

According to yesasia.com, Silver Hawk streets TOMORROW. It's region 3.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/
Old 05-07-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what's new? Haven't gotten my Silver Hawk yet, but wondering if any interesting bits of news have surfaced in the last month
Old 05-07-04, 11:26 PM

I'm looking forward to One Nite in Monkok with Cecilia Cheung. Given how good Lost in Time was, I'm expecting greatness from this re-pairing of lead actress and director.
Old 05-08-04, 07:38 AM

Johnnie To's Breaking News website:
http://www.breakingnewsthemovie.com
Old 05-08-04, 08:58 AM

Running Time cheated. They've got hidden cuts here and there in the film. Russian Ark on the other hand, is really shot in one single 96 min take (on dv).
Old 05-08-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That Johnnie To movie looks interesting. Hope I like it better than I did his last one.
Old 05-11-04, 11:17 AM

mms://video.mov3.com/breaking_news.wmv

Breaking News trailer.
Old 05-11-04, 05:28 PM

Silver Hawk IS ONE OF THE CRAPPEST FILMS EVER MADE! its just god damn scary how pathetic it is in every single way! just dont even try to get hold of a copy ever! you will cry if you do.

Protege de la Rose Noire,
well its good a solid little film, but a bit slow and some nice action too,
and the subtitles on the HK dvd are the worst I have ever seen in my life, I couldnt understand what the hell was happening at all, the film is a comedy and every single joke falls flat because of the appaling translation job in the subs, I may have liked the film more, if I could get the jokes.

but you do get Donnie Yens little sister, in a Chinese school girl costume using double nunchucks! what more can you ask for?
Old 05-11-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is SIlver Hawk as bad as The Touch? I thought that was as crappy as the newer HK films got.
Old 05-12-04, 11:56 AM

I never bothered with the touch, but it has to be better than SilverHawk it just has to be.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.