Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Will directv compesate me in any way for the installer being late?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-07-04, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The installer is supposed to be here between 1-5. He just called at 2 and stated that he has many jobs infront of ours and he has to wait for his partner to finish another one before he can proceed with those. He then said he might be here before 5 or more than likely after 5. I then called him back and told him if he could at least call my cell phone 30 minutes before he comes if it will be after 5 so I don't have to sit here and wait for him if he comes after the 5 deadline. He told me he didn't think that he could that because he would be to busy to make the call.

Now my queston is, is there any thing that directv will do if this guy decides to come after the alloted 4 hour time span? I feel my time is valuable and don't feel like sitting here til 7pm waiting for him to finish the instal. Plus I think if Directv says they will be here between 1-5 that they should be here between 1-5.

Sorry if I sound like a whinny baby but I have had to deal with this crap from the cable company one of the reasons that I am going to satillite.
Old 04-07-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

probably not.. i guess if you really complain you can ask to have a free premium move channel for a month of something.... or just refuse the service
Old 04-07-04, 02:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
the installer is an independent contractor, I doubt they will, but for sure call and let them know he is not there if he does not arrive before 5.

You can't call until 5:01 though.
Old 04-07-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The installer actually cancelled on the date I selected, and had to come another day, but I didn't actually ask Directv for any compensation. I guess it's always worth a call to give it a shot.
Old 04-07-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Not much can be done about not making the window. It is sometimes hard to predict install times and some jobs take longer than expected. The thing about "not giving you a call because I'm too busy" sounds stupid. How come he cannot call you on the way?

I guess you could always just refuse to let them in if they are late and then "pain in the ass" your way into getting something from the company. Play hardball and tell them to cancel your contract unless they give you a discount or something.
Old 04-07-04, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Thanks fellas, hopefully he just somes in the tme frame and then there will be no problems.
Old 04-07-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can probably get a free movie channel for a month or so if he's really late. If it's like 5:30, then you probably don't have much of a chance.
Old 04-07-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DirecTV will give free Showtime for just about anything. I once got six months of Showtime free just for asking. YMMV.
Old 04-07-04, 04:18 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
When I got DishNetwork, the installer failed to show up, twice. All my dish equipment was still in the box, and I hadn't cancelled my cable yet. So I called up DishNetwork and told them, 1) I would install it myself, 2) they would give me three months of free programming - roughly the equivalent of how much they would have charged me if I hadn't been at home for the installation twice, and 3) if they didn't, I'd return all the equipment and keep my cable. Since I had all the leverage in the situation, they agreed to my deal.

Since then, I have never had any problems with DishNetwork. They are, by far, the best communications/cable/internet/whatever company I've done business with.
Old 04-07-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
When that happened to me (but they missed two appointments completely, then tried to charge me for the "repair" when my first installation was done incorrectly to begin with) I got them to take $20 off my first bill plus give me some free programming. It took assertiveness though--at first it was no way, then I started bitching till I got at least something for the 8+ hours I wasted. Good luck.

tasha
Old 04-07-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was the dude showed up on time after the equipment was delivered, and he said, "Can't put it on your roof b/c of insurance reasons (leaking roof, falling, etc.), and you can't get a sightline from the side of your house." So I called DirecTV and complained. They sent someone else out who asked if my last appointment was the afternoon slot on a Friday. I said yes and he said, "Looks like someone wanted to start their weekend early. You have a perfect sightline from the side of your house that I can mount from a 12' ladder." When I called DTV to complain, they gave me all the movie channels free for 6 months for the inconvenience. A pain overall but at least the 2nd guy was cool. Again YMMV.