TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Fills Summer with Reality Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC Fills Summer with Reality Goodness

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|87287|1|,00.html

(Monday, April 05 08:56 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Meet NBC's new summer schedule, in many ways similar to last summer's schedule. Popular reality entries "For Love or Money," "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?" and "Last Comic Standing" will all return to the network's lineup this summer, along with an oft-delayed new comedy.

"This is all part of our commitment to year round original programming," says NBC Entertainment President Jeff Zucker. "The world of prime time television is changing and we are proud to be leading the way."

After evolving into one of last summer's most reliable hits in its first two installments last year, "For Love or Money" begins its latest season with a two-hour premiere on Monday, June 7. Jordan Murphy ("Boston Public") hosts, as a lucky (or not-so-lucky) man once again has to make the eponymous choice between love and, naturally enough, money.

Hopefully the show's casting directors will be able to improve over Rob Campos. The show earned a wave of embarrassing publicity when it was discovered that hunk from the show's first installment failed to reveal an incident of drunken harassment that got the lawyer booted from the JAG training program.
The night after the "For Love or Money" premiere, "Last Comic Standing" has its two-hour premiere. Comedian Jay Mohr returns for the 14-episode talent hunt that gives the winner an exclusive talent contract with NBC.

"Last Comic" has also earned its share of grumbling as several celebrity judges, including Drew Carey, have accused the network of ignoring their recommendations.

One week later, on Monday, June 14, "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?" returns with a relatively restrained one-hour premiere introducing the latest group of three adult daughters looking to pimp their father out to one of 13 single women over the course of six episodes. The "secrets tasks" and lie detector tests will return.

On Tuesday, June 15, NBC will finally present the premiere of "Next Action Star," a long-gestating reality series from "Die Hard" producer Joel Silver. Over 10 episodes, 14 finalists (men and women) will compete in a variety of stunt and combat tests for the chance to appear in the NBC original movie "Hit Me," which will air on August 11.

On the scripted front, "Come to Papa" will find its network home starting on Thursday, June 3 at 8:30 p.m. ET. The series, starring comedian Tom Papa, was developed for the fall and picked up for midseason before getting pushed to the summer. John Salley and Steve Carell co-star in the series about a reporter (Papa) who wants to move out of New Jersey and become a comedy writer.

I'm really looking forward to Last Comic Standing 2 and am kind of intrigued by Next Action Star. At least this summer viewing won't be boring. I wonder where Dog Eat Dog is?

Chris
Old 04-05-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Great, more summer drek. What the hell ever happened to the 1st dude who won Last Comic Standing?
Old 04-05-04, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Great, more summer drek. What the hell ever happened to the 1st dude who won Last Comic Standing?
I was wondering the same thing. I thought he was supposed to get his own sitcom on NBC.
Old 04-05-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to Last Comic Standing. Glad to have Jay Mohr back if nothing else. I don't even remember who the winner was last season Was it the Asian guy who everyone picked on? They probably figured out he wasn't funny. I remember I wasn't a fan of the winner, whoever it was.
Old 04-05-04, 12:58 PM

Dat Phan was the so called 'winner' and thankfully we haven't seen much of him. Dave Mordahl should have been the winner, just based on being the funniest.

Chris
Old 04-05-04, 01:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"Last Comic Standing" would be better if they followed an "American Idol" approach and auditioned folks off the street. I'd love to see footage of would-be comics bombing.
Old 04-05-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
"Last Comic Standing" would be better if they followed an "American Idol" approach and auditioned folks off the street. I'd love to see footage of would-be comics bombing.
You'd be a shoe in!
Old 04-05-04, 01:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
You'd be a shoe in!
More like a shoo-out. All my material is DVDTalk in-jokes:

"The late Wallace Shawn!" (uncomfortable silence)
"Uh...okay, how about this...Cancelling my pre-order! Huh? Huh?" (more silence)
"Whoa...tough crowd...I can only hope that your sense of humor is found alive and well." (coughs)
Old 04-05-04, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
More like a shoo-out. All my material is DVDTalk in-jokes:

"The late Wallace Shawn!" (uncomfortable silence)
"Uh...okay, how about this...Cancelling my pre-order! Huh? Huh?" (more silence)
"Whoa...tough crowd...I can only hope that your sense of humor is found alive and well." (coughs)
I don't get it! I must not be in.

Chris
Old 04-05-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I won't be watching much of NBC shows this summer.