Old 04-04-04, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wonderfalls now canceled!

http://www.buffistas.org/showthread....1&post_id=9310
Old 04-04-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this just pisses me off. while i haven't actually watched this show, i have heard nothing but great things about it. it's only been on a few weeks? and they go ahead and cancel it. never mind that it's on friday nights when many people aren't watching tv anyway. god forbid that the tv execs might give somthing a chance for awhile. i f'in hate tv execs.
Old 04-04-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not that it wouldn't surprise me that FOX did this, but how do we know it's legit?

I mean, I could change my user name to Tim Minear and post something on the 'net..
Old 04-04-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Not that it wouldn't surprise me that FOX did this, but how do we know it's legit?

I mean, I could change my user name to Tim Minear and post something on the 'net..
Here it is straight off of
Tim's site

Fox

Last edited by Pointyskull; 04-05-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 12:19 PM

Well that sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised. I liked the show, but when the ratings were so poor, this was inevitable. Hopefully the remaining episodes are shown someplace.
Old 04-04-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Tim doesn't really post there, it's a well-orchestrated hoax that goes back long before this post.

das
Old 04-04-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I guess I didn't need to watch anymore shows than I already do.

Old 04-04-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Btw, something Tim posted last night that made me chuckle:

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna sit down and figure out exactly what Fox needs in terms of what's missing from their scripted programming. No joke. I'll approach it scientifically and specifically. I'll create the hit pilot with franchise legs that will allow them to build big in the scripted area in such a way that they'll be able to relax a little and nurture slower building shows. Something that would give them some stability. That's what I'll create.

Then I'll sell it ABC.
das
Old 04-04-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
das - now that's funny.
Old 04-04-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is why I don't bother watching any new Fox shows. They've pulled the rug out from under me too many times. I do tune into 24 and The O.C., but both shows were established hits on the network before I decided to get caught up. I saw the first few episodes of Arrested Development, but since it's on opposite Alias and Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's been tough keeping up. And Tru Calling I refused to watch since I figured it would get yanked anyway due to being in the timeslot of death(yet that's the one show they haven't cancelled yet, go figure).

I've got the first four episodes of Wonderfalls on my computer, and I'll definitely watch them at some point. But at least this way I don't feel that sense of betrayal by Fox that I've experienced way too many times.
Old 04-04-04, 01:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Then I'll sell it ABC.
They would cancel it faster then Fox
Old 04-04-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Doughboy
This is why I don't bother watching any new Fox shows.
I'd rather see four or ten or however many episodes of a show that I really enjoy than none at all. I don't really understand the argument against watching a show because you might get too emotionally invested in something that could be cancelled next week. I mean, you could die tomorrow, so why watch, do, or work at anything?

And Tru Calling I refused to watch since I figured it would get yanked anyway due to being in the timeslot of death
That's at least the distinct third timeslot (each on different days) I've heard referred to as "the timeslot of death". Although I won't argue that Fox botched Wonderfalls, when would they be allowed to show it? What's not considered a timeslot of death?
Old 04-04-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't say that I am too dissapointed, except for the fact that it will probably be replaced by some kind of reality show.

Zap2it has picked it up as well:

'Wonderfalls' Cancelled, Exec Producer Says
(Sunday, April 04 10:00 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - FOX has given the hook to one its low-rated dramedy "Wonderfalls," one of the show's executive producers says.

Posting on the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fan site Buffistas.org, "Wonderfalls" (and ex-"Buffy") producer Tim Minear writes, "[W]e're cancelled. Effective at once. The cow creamer will be silent this Thursday and forever forward."

Although it was the subject of generally glowing reviews, "Wonderfalls" drew only meager ratings. In three airings on Friday nights, the show averaged about 3.8 million viewers, while its lone Thursday episode on April 1 drew even fewer than that.

By comparison, "Boston Public," FOX's 9 p.m. Friday show for much of the season, drew an average of about 4.9 million viewers a week.

Thirteen episodes of "Wonderfalls" have been completed, and Minear says he and creators Todd Holland ("Malcolm in the Middle") and Bryan Fuller ("Dead Like Me") will try to find a home for the remaining shows, either on DVD or at another network.

"[T]he thirteen taken as a whole tell a story and go to a place, so a run of this 'limited' series would not be unsatisfying elsewhere," Minear writes. He advises fans, however, not to mount a save-the-show campaign with the network.

"Not really anything you can do. The network is a non-starter here," Minear writes. "The studio, 20th, is possibly a different matter. If they get the sense that people would buy a complete series DVD set, it might happen that the series becomes available in future. But please don't waste your time or money on trying to revive 'Wonderfalls' for a pick-up with FOX. Ain't gonna happen."
Old 04-04-04, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Adam Tyner

That's at least the distinct third timeslot (each on different days) I've heard referred to as "the timeslot of death". Although I won't argue that Fox botched Wonderfalls, when would they be allowed to show it? What's not considered a timeslot of death?
Well, I think anything that gets aired on friday nights can be considered a ToD, because less people watch TV on those nights.

The other timeslot I've seen referred to as that has been Thursday nights at 8, which puts the show up against at least two heavy hitters, Survivor and Friends.
Old 04-04-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well color me surprised. Wonder when the set will be out. *goes to watch some more Freaks and Geeks, My So-Called Life, and Firefly goodness instead of anything on most networks*
Old 04-04-04, 06:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, I never watched it. Looked like a direct clone of Joan of Arcadia to me.
Old 04-04-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Now Ive only seen three of the four Wonderfalls, the other is on tape. But those two (2) shows could not be further apart. All that Joan does is whine about something each week, be it Adam, her mother, brother(s), father, or being a teenage girl.

Whomever is/was writing Wonderfalls actually has a clue. Yes it involves a 'higher power', but the characters deal with 'reality' with a sense of humor about them. I wont ever see Joan declare to her bestfriend that she is the universe's butt puppet.
Old 04-04-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I guess you're not familiar with the history of the series. Both Wonderfalls and Joan of Arcadia were developed around the same time. Fox just sat on the project for an exceedingly long time, even though the pilot was finished in May 2003. There are some surface similarities, but the tone and execution are entirely different.
Old 04-04-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It isn't, unless Joan of Arcadia got a lot darker and drier in humor last week.

I'm not surprised of course, but I'm saddened. Series I love have such short lifespans, and I'm sad and angry and bitter. But then again, today is a day that ends with the letter "y", so it's expected.
Old 04-04-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Here it is straight off of
Tim's site
Thanks for that official link 12thmonkey.

For future reference, I gotta remember...everything on the internet is true...
Old 04-04-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And again, Groucho's sense of humor goes over everyone's head.

I have all four episodes on my TIVO waiting to be watched (I've been constantly busy with school and work the past month for me to watch a television show), so maybe I'll get around to watching them now after the news of the series getting the axe.
Old 04-04-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Careful with your use of the word "everyone."

das
Old 04-04-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Three of the episodes aired after midnight here in Minnesota. I'm sure that kind of crap affected the ratings.

As soon as That 70's Show goes off the air and Arrested Development gets cancelled I can stop watching Fox all together.
Old 04-04-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was a good show and I loved the main character. Her looking good wasn't so bad either.
Old 04-04-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
What kind of ratings does Fox need to have to keep a show on the air? Is no show allowed to even build an audience anymore? If I was a show creator I wouldn't even bother shopping it to the main networks. Why not just go to a cable station where at least they give you a little more time to try to establish a fanbase.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.